Author Topic: Funding research at GARF for upcoming books and website  (Read 4310 times)

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
Funding research at GARF for upcoming books and website
« on: July 21, 2015, 03:23:51 PM »
Dear Friends and Fellow Russian/Romanov History Enthusiasts! Some of you may know some of my work from the book series "The Russian Imperial Family: In Their Own Words". I have worked very hard in the past 5 years to bring you my own translations of the original words of the four Russian grand duchesses, who may never have had the chance to speak otherwise.

My book “The Diary of Olga Romanov: Royal Witness to the Russian Revolution” was released in 2013, while the book dedicated to the Tsar’s second daughter, “Tatiana Romanov, Daughter of the Last Tsar: Diaries and Letters, 1913–1918” is scheduled to be released in Autumn 2015. In between, I had put together other books based on the imperial family's diaries and letters, including “Journal of a Russian Grand Duchess: Complete Annotated 1913 Diary of Olga Romanov, Eldest Daughter of the Last Tsar” and "Russia's Last Romanovs: In Their Own Words."  Despite these, there remain many, many documents written by the Grand Duchesses, as well as by members of their family, that have never before been translated and published.  Although "The Little Pair," the Grand Duchesses Maria and Anastasia have allowed me to speak for them in a book dedicated to them both, “Maria and Anastasia: The Youngest Romanov Grand Duchesses In Their Own Words”, I strongly believe that each them deserves her individual book, like their two elder sisters.

The State Archives of Russian Federation (GARF) are indeed holding many more documents written by all four grand duchesses, which have not been translated or published before, as well as a myriad of other primary source material which has remained untapped. Unfortunately it is very expensive to purchase copies and scans from GARF, especially while operating from another country, in addition to having to pay extra to a third party in Moscow to obtain them. I am no longer able to afford to do this on my own, but would like to continue doing the translations while it is still possible. Which was why I decided to start this GoFundMe campaign to fund the cost of copies of the material and a trip to the Russian archives. Traveling there myself would actually be cheaper than to pay someone in Moscow, and a lot more efficient.  I am hoping to raise at least $3,000 in the next year which will allow me to travel to Moscow for about a week and get as many scans and copies from GARF as possible, and translate and publish them, including a lot of it for free on my upcoming website..

If you are able to contribute anything at all, any amount will help. I will be posting regular updates and reports on the GoFundMe page, and also sharing them on my Facebook "Russian Imperial Family: The Romanovs In Their Own Words" (https://www.facebook.com/DiaryOfOlgaRomanovRoyalWitness?fref=ts). This is the link to the campaign page: http://www.gofundme.com/z9x2n3u

Thank you all so much in advance!

All the best,

Helen

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
Re: Funding research at GARF for upcoming books and website
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 04:39:10 AM »
Dear Helen, my contribution is rather minor, but I still hope it helps! I truly admire your dedication and passion, and feel very grrateful that you are so tirelessly seek to bring more of the rare documents to life. Best of luck!

Offline edubs31

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 12:59:09 PM »
Dear Helen, my contribution is rather minor, but I still hope it helps! I truly admire your dedication and passion, and feel very grrateful that you are so tirelessly seek to bring more of the rare documents to life. Best of luck!

Ditto that Helen!
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 03:33:13 PM »

Every little bit helps, thanks so much! I am hoping to keep this going for the next 10 months or so, and then have enough to travel to GARF and get the copies!

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 11:43:43 AM »
Dear all,

Today I officially launched my "Romanov Family" website by posting two articles, one is my updated Tsarskoe Selo travelogue, and the second one is an article on Ivan the Terrible, written by Katrina Kitchen (both links below). 

Please sign up for my mailing list and not only will you receive various interesting and unique Romanov history updates, but also will get a free bonus ebook not available anywhere else. YOu can sign up here: http://www.theromanovfamily.com/ Please share! 

"TSARSKOE SELO TODAY: A Unique Perspective" article: http://www.theromanovfamily.com/tsarskoe-selo-today-a-unique-perspective/

"IVAN IV (“IVAN THE TERRIBLE”): The First Tsar of Russia, and He Who Paved the Way for the Romanov Dynasty" article: http://www.theromanovfamily.com/ivan-iv-ivan-the-terrible-the-first-tsar-of-russia-and-he-who-paved-the-way-for-the-romanov-dynasty/

Thank you for your interest!

Helen