Author Topic: Unkown paintings of the little pair  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Reli

• View Profile
Re: Unkown paintings of the little pair
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 10:01:22 AM »
@GDSophie and Sanochka......
You question the authenticity of the portraits because you don't know that formerly, girls are used to wear their hair up only on holidays and for portraits.
With all respect and with all honor, but our two girls just sayed that they are not gladly seen here,
and that they want to leave this forum.
They apologize to having bothered you and confused ......  :o  :'(  :-\
We not .....

Offline GDSophie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 10:29:24 AM »
You question the authenticity of the portraits because you don't know that formerly, girls are used to wear their hair up only on holidays and for portraits.
With all respect and with all honor, but our two girls just sayed that they are not gladly seen here,
We not .....

Anastasia and Maria certainly didn't wear their hair up on holidays, they had them pinned in certain places but all pictures we know of before 1915 show them with their hair down until Maria turned 16, then her hair was pinned up. Painters could portray them with their hair up if they so wished, but either way they do not look like the youngest Grand Duchesses.

'Give my love to all who remember me' - Olga Nikolaevna

Offline edubs31

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2017, 11:07:18 AM »
We not .....

Anastasia and Maria certainly didn't wear their hair up on holidays, they had them pinned in certain places but all pictures we know of before 1915 show them with their hair down until Maria turned 16, then her hair was pinned up. Painters could portray them with their hair up if they so wished, but either way they do not look like the youngest Grand Duchesses.

I second this. It seems Maria was actually allowed to wear her hair up at 15. A year before either Olga & Tatiana we're able to and prior to the more accustomed age of 16.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Offline Lochlanach

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2017, 11:40:56 AM »
If I had commissioned an artist to paint Marie and Anastasia and this was the result I would be demanding a refund. No resemblance , not even close , regardless of ages , hair up or down , etc.

Offline GDSophie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2017, 11:58:15 AM »
We not .....

I second this. It seems Maria was actually allowed to wear her hair up at 15. A year before either Olga & Tatiana we're able to and prior to the more accustomed age of 16.

Oh, then it was 1914, not 1915 for Maria. My mistake. Thank you for correcting me. I wonder why Alexandra allowed her to put her hair up at 15 rather than 16? Maybe it was because of the war?

If I had commissioned an artist to paint Marie and Anastasia and this was the result I would be demanding a refund. No resemblance , not even close , regardless of ages , hair up or down , etc.

Reli told us that it was created in 1912 (?) who probably hadn't even seen Maria and Anastasia personally and went from photos, which were in black and white. So I don't blame the painter for them not resembling both of them completely but except for the second one that shares a likeness to Maria, there is no resemblance.
'Give my love to all who remember me' - Olga Nikolaevna