Author Topic: Books on the Russian Civil War WWI and other wars  (Read 32652 times)

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Books on the Russian Civil War WWI and other wars
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2017, 09:40:10 PM »
For Ann

In 2016 a bio of Robert Von Greim was published in Germany according to theaerodrome.com book section. I believe you asked me about him. It looks like it might be a good one but its in German only.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2017, 02:39:47 PM »
Many thanks for the info.

Let's hope it will be translated into English.

Ann

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2017, 02:34:44 PM »
Another book I just finished "Histories Greatest Heist The Looting of Russia by the Bolsheviks" Sean Mcweekin  How the Bolsheviks were able to stay in power by selling the loot they took from the Romanovs, upper and middle classes foriegners, the church ect and the people in the west who helped them launder and sell it.

Romannovholics might want to know the crown Alexandra wore at her wedding was sold at Christies in 1927

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2017, 04:03:59 PM »
books mentioned by Helen Rappaport in the Wall Street journal in last month that are in archive.org:

The Red heart of Russia Bessie beatty
Donald Thompson In Russia Donald Thompson
Runaway Russia Florence Macleod Harper

not on archive .org The Dissolution of an Empire Meriel Buchanan but two other books by her are there

Offline amelia

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2017, 04:22:49 PM »
The dissolution of an empire is a very good book

Eva McDonald
(Amelia)

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2017, 07:53:08 PM »
Two more books of interest:
A Sentimental journey Memoirs 1917-1922 Viktor Shklovsky revolution  and civil war memoirs by a future Soviet writer. He was in Petrograd when the feb/mar revolution broke out.
Artillery in the great war Paul Strong & Sanders marble dealing with the artillery of all the major armies of WW I and how well they performed or in the Russian case how they often failed to perform.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2017, 07:29:25 PM »
not books but photos of Russia taken by the Germans mostly during WW II go to:

axishistory.com forum section life in the third reich and weimer republic a posting Civilian Life in occupied Soviet Union photos and documents lots of pictures in color and black and white

missinglynx.com Allied vehicles section 5 may 2017 posting period east front color pictures from http/dambiev.livejournal.com

looking at some of these photos I would say in many of them they were scenes the IF would have seen and would have been familiar with.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2017, 03:46:41 PM »
Invasion: The Conquest of Serbia 1915 Richard L Dinardo a short book on the Central powers campaign that over ran Serbia in 1915. The author has a presentation on the book on youtube as well as a presentation on his earlier book Breakthrough: The Gorlice-Tarnow Campaign 1915.
Invasion comments and errata:
The book My Diary in Serbia by Monica Stanley mentioned is on both archive.org and guttenberg.org The book Small Wars: Their Principles and Practice Charles l Callwell is also no archive.org
casualties Invasion has the Austro-hungarian army suffering 2.5 million casualties fighting the Russians in 1914 the Austrian official history "Austria-Hungary's last war has 730,880
The book mention Halberstadt aircraft but only 12 were at the front 31 Oct 1915 out of 1024 aircraft
the book mentions the Germans and Austrians having 150-200 aircraft and the French having 30 aircraft A Bulme's history of the Serb airforce has the germans and Austrians  with 40-60 aircraft vs 10 French and 3 Serb aircraft

East Central European Society in WW I Bela K Kiraly and Nandor F Dreiszieger is a number of articles on Austria-Hungary and the states surrounding it during WW I

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2017, 03:30:35 PM »
Russia's Last gasp by Prit Buttar a good account of the 1916 battles in the East. the only things bad about it is he is weak on what's going on in Petrograd political scene (he needed to spend some time on this site) and he calls future Field Marshall Friedrich Paulas a major when he was a captain.

Sir Paul Dukes book "Red Dusk and The Morrow" is in archive.org deals with his time as an agent in Petrograd during the Russian Civil war.