Author Topic: Young Alix - Before her Marriage  (Read 103986 times)

Offline chintz22

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: Young Alix - Before her Marriage
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2005, 11:03:12 PM »
Hi All--

Lisa, thank you for posting that last picture--I've never seen it before and it is beautiful!  

Best,

Sarah

Offline chintz22

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2005, 11:06:22 PM »
Hi All,

Sorry to post again, but does anyone know if Alix received a gift for her first ball?  I know Olga received jewelry, but of course the Grand Duke's financial situation wasn't what the Tsar's was!  I wonder if Queen Victoria sent her anything?  I don't recall reading anything about this--maybe someone else knows?

Best,

Sarah

Offline bball33

• Mashka is the cutest GD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2005, 01:48:45 PM »
How did Alix's mother die? I've heard that she kissed her son and contracted a disease but I'm not sure. ???
I have a new obsession with HP

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2005, 03:10:58 PM »
She died of a disease called diptheria. This used to be a common disease, especially in children, before widespread immunization became available for it. Diptheria is a very contagious and potentially life-threatening infection that usually attacks the throat and nose. Early symptoms are a sore throat and mild fever. A membrane that forms over the throat and tonsils can make it hard to swallow. This membrane can also move deeper into the throat and block the airway, causing death.

All of Alice's children except Ella had it. Her youngest daughter, May, died of it. When her son found out, he was terribly sad and she kissed him to comfort him. And so she contracted it from him. She was already tired and worn out from taking care of all her sick children, so the disease killed her.

Offline otmafan

• Knyaz
  • In Loving Memory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2005, 05:24:05 PM »
Ernie almost died as well. It was so devastating for poor little Alix.  :'(

Offline chintz22

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2005, 08:18:36 AM »
Hi All--

I've always thought that surely Alexandra must have thought of this wave of illness when most of her own children were taken ill in 1917.  What a terrible time for her personally, and then to have had the events of the abdication as well.  She must have been a very strong woman to have been able to bear all of these events.

Best,

Sarah

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2005, 03:57:14 PM »
I've always thought that surely Alexandra must have thought of this wave of illness when most of her own children were taken ill in 1917.

She must have thought even more of it when her own daughter Anastasia had diptheria as a small child. Nicholas mentions in his diary that she stayed by herself with the sick child while he and the other children moved out temporarily (this was in Peterhof).

Offline griffh

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2005, 01:06:56 PM »
 There is a family photo taken in Copenhagen with Alexandra sitting on the steps close to the front row and something has really struck her funny.  She can't hold back a smile.  Xenia sitting next to her is trying to look down in order not to laugh and if you follow Alexandra's gaze she appears to be looking at the two little boys in sailor suits who have big smiles on their faces.  Even the little boy next to Xenia seems to be trying to hold back a smile.  Then if you look at Queen Alexandra's face and her sister Dagmar, they both look far from amused.  

Alexandra's suppressed glee really makes me think that she must have had a very funny sense of humor.  And I know that Queen Alexandra and her sister did but I suppose anything that struck Alexandra funny was automatically not funny to them.  Anyway I thought it might be fun to see Alexandra with a smile on her face.....griff
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 02:08:53 PM by Alixz »

Offline griffh

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2005, 01:47:54 PM »
Bluetoria you probably are right as Queen Alexandra does look like she is inbetween some emotion and hopefully it is humor.  I just love to look at that picture and see the young Empress's amusement and sense of fun and taking part in what ever those kids managed to pull off.  It just reminded me of that funny story of Queen Victoria ridding in the carriage with one of the young princes who had some problem with gas and apparently let a rather bad go sitting in the carriage next to the Queen and Victoria made some dry remark about the horses and everyone was doing their best to stifle their laughter.  Something like that must have just happened a second before that photo was snapped.  

« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 02:09:29 PM by Alixz »

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2005, 04:27:57 PM »
Does anyone have any pics of Aleksandra when she was younger? I can't seem to find many of her as a little kid.

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Art in Avatar done by Lisa!
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2005, 07:12:33 PM »
There are dozens around the forum..   ;)

Offline moonlight_tsarina

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Inside the Palace Gates
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2005, 12:09:20 AM »
I'll post some here...

http://img107.exs.cx/img107/3779/alix7uy.jpg

http://img107.exs.cx/img107/7550/alicky43qn.jpg

http://img107.exs.cx/img107/2024/alix041jx.jpg

http://img107.exs.cx/img107/9168/alixirene7hf.png
^
(By Lanie)

http://img154.exs.cx/img154/3088/alix055yq.jpg

http://img107.exs.cx/img107/6662/romanov151rt.jpg

I had a question about Alix, I don't know if it has been discussed before, that Alix fell over some glass keeping a plant nursery safe from snow, and that was a contributor to her bad legs. Is this true?

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by moonlight_tsarina »
Check out my site!

www.freewebs.com/moonlight_tsarina

"Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil...but only love." -Olga Nikolayevna

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2005, 02:19:35 AM »
The last photo Annie posted is actually of Princess Marie of Hesse-Darmstadt, not Alix.

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Art in Avatar done by Lisa!
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2005, 10:23:07 AM »

This one?

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2005, 11:40:36 AM »
I've seen that pic before, in books. It always said it was Alix. But since they always get OTMA wrong, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't Alix. But it does look a lot like the other pics of her as a child.