Author Topic: Young Alix - Before her Marriage  (Read 103987 times)

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Young Alix - Before her Marriage
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2005, 11:41:38 AM »
Sorry, forgot to add this to my above post, but moonlight, yes, I've always heard that story about Alix's bad legs was true.

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2005, 02:31:18 PM »
There's some thread--I think about Marie (May) of Hesse--with a photo of her and it has been told by people who've seen the original photo that it isn't Alix, it's May. :)

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Art in Avatar done by Lisa!
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2005, 03:08:41 PM »
Really? Wow.. I always thought that was Alix.
Thanks Lanie  ;D

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2005, 04:30:03 PM »
Is this the same May that died of diptheria? I thought she was just a baby when she died.

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2005, 04:51:05 PM »
No, May was 4 when she died and yes, it's the same May.  May looked a lot like Alix but had somewhat different features, you can only notice if you look closely at pictures.

Offline moonlight_tsarina

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Inside the Palace Gates
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2005, 06:35:16 PM »
Wow, thanks for pointing that out! Alix and May had a very strong resemblance!
Check out my site!

www.freewebs.com/moonlight_tsarina

"Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil...but only love." -Olga Nikolayevna

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2005, 07:56:10 PM »
More of young Alix:
(Beautifully colored by Lisa!)
Check out my site!

"Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil...but only love." -Olga Nikolayevna

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2005, 07:56:35 PM »
Check out my site!

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Art in Avatar done by Lisa!
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2005, 08:01:20 PM »
Those are stunningly well done

Offline RomanovFan

• Knyaz
  • THE BIG PAIR, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2005, 09:11:30 PM »
Wow, thanks for pointing that out! Alix and May had a very strong resemblance!

May and Alix were also only two years apart in age.... Alix was born in 1872, May in 1874. If you look at some of the photos of Maria and Anastasia as little girls, they look alot alike too....and they were almost exactly one year apart. :)
~LESLIE~

ROMANOV FAN SINCE 1997

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2005, 09:22:19 PM »

May and Alix were also only two years apart in age.... Alix was born in 1872, May in 1874. If you look at some of the photos of Maria and Anastasia as little girls, they look alot alike too....and they were almost exactly one year apart. :)

MN and AN were almost exactly two years apart.  :)  Eight days to two years apart...

Offline Speedycat

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2005, 10:08:55 AM »
Alix with Irene, Ernie and May.  The resemblence between Alix and May is striking, although I think May had softer features and lighter hair.

Offline Speedycat

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2005, 10:16:07 AM »
A beautiful photo of Irene and Alix as bridesmaids at Princess Beatrice's wedding 1885

Offline Speedycat

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2005, 10:24:30 AM »
by Moonlight Tsarina.."I had a question about Alix, I don't know if it has been discussed before, that Alix fell over some glass keeping a plant nursery safe from snow, and that was a contributor to her bad legs. Is this true? "

I read this too.  After years of reading books about Alix with various "mental reasons" given for her leg and lower back pains, I read in a book (can't for the life of me remember which one now!! :-/)  that she was running around with Ernie and she ran through some disgarded greenhouse window pains and severely cut her legs damaging the nerves.  This happened shortly after her mother died and the combined stress of the pain and of not having a mother to comfort her contricuted to her lifelong affliction of leg pains.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Speedycat »

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2005, 03:48:39 PM »
Elisa, what an interesting topic. :) I would also like to know more about her itinerary there. I do know that she loved that trip and it was memorable for her the rest of her life. She even had souvenirs of her trip at the Alexander Palace, in her bedroom. Here is a quote from the article on the Imperial bedroom on the main AP site:

"On the right wall of the room Alexandra had a collection of things she had brought back from a trip she had made to Italy with her brother before her marriage. This trip took her to Florence and she had a wonderful, carefree time. her brother took Alexandra to all of the famous landmarks - including the Uffizi Gallery. Alexandra also saw the convent of San Marco,and Fra Angelico's paintings there. The impressions she receieved on the trip deeply effected her and they continued to inspire her throughout her life. One day this trip wpould inspire parts of the new Livadia Palace in the Crimea which she and Nicholas built in 1912. While on the trip she purchased watercolors, copies of Della Robbia ceramics and a copy of a Bottichelli Madonna. This painting was one of the few things that followed the Imperial family into exile. It hung above the Empress' coach in Tobolsk."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Sarai_Porretta »