Author Topic: People Being 'Horrified' by OTMAA's Murders?  (Read 508 times)

Online GDSophie

• Boyar
    • View Profile
People Being 'Horrified' by OTMAA's Murders?
« on: August 25, 2017, 04:10:52 PM »
I was watching 'The Russian Revolution' on Netflix last night and when they reached the part about the massacre Helen Rappaport said that no one expected that the children would be shot and cruelly murdered. I saw it being mentioned on here a lot but no one showed any evidence that the Russians and half of the world back in 1918 were not expecting Olga, Tatiana, Maria, Anastasia and Alexei to be assassinated. I've saw newspaper clippings of when the news was released but it said nothing about anyone's reactions to the children being murdered.

Does anyone have anything-diary entries, articles, anything really-from after the world was informed of their murders that say that people were surprised and, from Helen's own words, horrified?
'Give my love to all who remember me' - Olga Nikolaevna

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Rex and Hannah Chronicles Wikia
Re: People Being 'Horrified' by OTMAA's Murders?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 05:18:47 PM »
Well, the world was not informed.  Lenin and Co. didn't exactly step forward and say:  "Yeah, we killed them all."

Instead, only rumours trickled out.  That is why Anna Anderson and other fakes were able to get away with what they did for so long.  There was no direct proof that the I.F. were all dead at that point.
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 05:53:26 PM »
Lenin and Co. all deliberately kept what happened to the IF murky and unclear. They didn't want the world to know what had happened and in fact encouraged all the claimants. While their immediate family "knew" what had happened, they had no evidence and many, like Marie Feodorovna kept hope that somebody might have survived.  There were no "official announcements" of the murders.

Online GDSophie

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 06:04:41 PM »
So how do we know that people were 'horrified' at the rumours of them being murdered when they themselves didn't know?

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 06:59:34 PM »
Because they said so in letters.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 07:08:25 PM »
Marie Feodorovna wrote: "You know that my thoughts and prayers never leave you. I think of you day and night and sometimes feel so sick at heart that I believe I cannot bear it any longer. But God is merciful. He will give us strength for this terrible ordeal." Her daughter Olga Alexandrovna commented further on the matter, "Yet I am sure that deep in her heart my mother had steeled herself to accept the truth some years before her death.

Online GDSophie

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 07:20:06 PM »
I didn't mean the Romanovs themselves. I meant civilians in Russia and outside the country itself; supposedly they were also horrified that OTMAA had been murdered, even people who wanted the Tsar and his family dead in the first place.

Offline Lochlanach

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 07:08:34 AM »
OTMAA were  mysterious , distant figures to most people I guess , even to Russians, especially OTMA  . The Tsars death would have been more meaningful to them.
On Rappaport : I have enjoyed her work but she is prone to romanticism and overstatement occasionally , especially on camera . There is a tendency to project our modern revulsion back to those times. After all , OTMAA are better known now, and sympathised with, more than ever before .