Author Topic: A New AU fic - title, ideas, help with accuracy?  (Read 1555 times)

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Rex and Hannah Chronicles Wikia
Re: A New AU fic - title, ideas, help with accuracy?
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2017, 11:27:12 AM »
Yeah, I know.  AU's are a joy to work on, IMO.

Offline GDSophie

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2017, 03:42:49 PM »
Yeah, I know.  AU's are a joy to work on, IMO.

Right? Being satisfied with an AU where characters have happy or sad endings depending on life choices in and out of their control always feels great! (Not like that's a hint to anything... ;))

'Give my love to all who remember me' - Olga Nikolaevna

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2017, 05:03:25 PM »
As someone who is also involved in writing an AU, I have to agree.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2017, 02:00:44 AM »
Writing 'factual' historical fiction is good too, especially when you are able to find a logical explanation for something inexplicable.

There is a strange episode in the career of Edward IV in 1469 when he was taken prisoner by Warwick the Kingmaker without any resistance. In my unpublished novel my explanation is a simple one - he has been prostrated by dysentery and is unable to flee.

Ann

Offline GDSophie

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2017, 06:40:12 AM »
Writing 'factual' historical fiction is good too, especially when you are able to find a logical explanation for something inexplicable.

There is a strange episode in the career of Edward IV in 1469 when he was taken prisoner by Warwick the Kingmaker without any resistance. In my unpublished novel my explanation is a simple one - he has been prostrated by dysentery and is unable to flee.

Ann

Good explanation, Ann! It could explain why he was taken prisoner without even trying to flee beforehand.

In my story the first visit between the Imperial and royal family in 1909 was not just to visit but also to hopefully see a possible engagement/attraction between the new fictional heir, Alexandra's son Edward to the then fourteen year old Olga which leads onto the next visit in 1911. Edward is now on the throne as Edward VIII since the death of his grandfather, and the now sixteen year old Olga is old enough to be considered for marriage. The two have been writing to each other since 1909, and are good friends. Bathildis is hoping for a match between them, uniting two of the biggest superpowers in the world and is even planning Tatiana, Maria and Anastasia futures. She is unsure of suitable Princes for Tatiana and Maria, but she is eyeing-and writing!-to Queen Elizabeth of Belgium in hopes of marrying Anastasia to the heir, Leopold when they are old enough, they are both eyeing the late 1910s or early 1920s as a possible wedding date.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 06:44:03 AM by GDSophie »

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2017, 01:26:02 PM »
The Kaiser's parents were first introduced when his mother was 14, though his father was 24, and they married when she was 17.

However, if you have a romance between your Edward and Olga in 1911, I think you had better have their parents insisting that they cannot marry for at least two years, and preferably a bit longer - until Edward is 21.

Ann

Offline GDSophie

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2017, 02:01:48 PM »
The Kaiser's parents were first introduced when his mother was 14, though his father was 24, and they married when she was 17.

However, if you have a romance between your Edward and Olga in 1911, I think you had better have their parents insisting that they cannot marry for at least two years, and preferably a bit longer - until Edward is 21.

Ann

Alix, Nicholas and Bathildis all agree that if they do get married it'll be when they're both of age. Edward is 21 and Olga 18 in 1913, and she stays in England with Alix, Alice and Edward for a few months between June-August learning everything she needs to know about being Queen from Dowager Queen Alexandra, as she only has until January 1914, where they get married. That saves Olga from the events in Russia during World War I. But what about the others? (Dun, dun, dun-! :D)

I also help with a list of suitable suitors for both Tatiana and Maria, as it is discussed in the story.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2017, 06:53:46 PM »
History stuff again: Nicholas II decided to take command of the Russian armies in 1915 on his own. GD NN was on the point of a nervous breakdown. Nicholas II could not replace him with a commoner. So Nicholas II took command. As for better generals Nicholas II didn't have that many. Often generals who were fired for incompetence managed to get themselves re-instated do to politics and the fact the Army was short of competent replacements. It should also be pointed out that Nicholas often ignored the advise of Alexandra and Rasputin. So Russia in early 1917 would have been pretty much in the same crises mode it was in real life.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2017, 05:03:06 AM »
That's the fun with AU, you don't need to follow actual history.

Offline GDSophie

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2017, 09:10:55 AM »
History stuff again: Nicholas II decided to take command of the Russian armies in 1915 on his own. GD NN was on the point of a nervous breakdown. Nicholas II could not replace him with a commoner. So Nicholas II took command. As for better generals Nicholas II didn't have that many. Often generals who were fired for incompetence managed to get themselves re-instated do to politics and the fact the Army was short of competent replacements. It should also be pointed out that Nicholas often ignored the advise of Alexandra and Rasputin. So Russia in early 1917 would have been pretty much in the same crises mode it was in real life.
That's the fun with AU, you don't need to follow actual history.

True. History may change slightly that there are more generals than in real life and GD NN didn't have a nervous breakdown if he had more help.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2017, 05:22:53 PM »
History may change slightly

Yep.

In Days Of OTMA's Lives, for example, the whole family is still living in the 1930's.

Offline GDSophie

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2017, 06:33:24 PM »
History may change slightly

Yep.

In Days Of OTMA's Lives, for example, the whole family is still living in the 1930's.

I love AUs where they live and have families of their own. PanHistoria's 'The Romanovs: One Last Dance' is one of them. They change many things so none of the lead Bolsheviks like Lenin and Trotsky live up to 1918, so they don't even last for a few months although they did exist. Olga carries haemophilia rather than Maria/Anastasia, but that's only because when they wrote it Alexei and one of the Little Pair hadn't been found yet so no one knew, but Maria still fears she has given it to her sons because (Spoiler Alert) the first blood tests during their trip to America had no conclusive answer for her until their second attempt, so she has the long lasting fear she carries it and has given it to her children.

I also have a list of possible husbands for Tatiana and Maria! Here is the lists!

Tatiana:
Philipp Albrecht, Duke of Württemberg (George Philipp Albrecht Carl Maria Joseph Ludwig Hubertus Stanislaus Leopold Herzog von Württemberg, 14 November 1893–17 April 1975)

Surprisingly, that's it. Wikipedia can only take me so far.

Maria:
Frederick IX (Christian Frederik Franz Michael Carl Valdemar Georg; 11 March 1899 – 14 January 1972). Also Nicholas' first cousin.
George, Duke of Mecklenburg (German: Georg Herzog zu Mecklenburg; 5 October [O.S. 22 September] 1899 – 6 July 1963)
Louis Francis Albert Victor Nicholas Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma (born Prince Louis of Battenberg; 25 June 1900 – 27 August 1979). Only on here because he wanted to marry Maria, and it's sweet to think about. Also because in this AU they're not first cousins since Alexandra didn't marry Nicholas.

Anastasia, just for fun even though one has already been picked:
Leopold III of Belgium (3 November 1901 – 25 September 1983). If the Imperial family are safe in 1918 (depending what is planned) she marries him like their mothers wanted. They like each other anyway-just from writing letters and visits orchestrated by their parents since before/after they were considered as suitors for each other-so no pressure from anyone, just like the real Leopold and Princess Astrid of Sweden. Interesting enough, in my AU, Anastasia is good friends with Astrid of Sweden because the Imperial family was more open to their wider royal relatives than the real one. But it begs the question; does Anastasia take Astrid's place in the car crash of 1935?
Paul of Greece (14 December 1901 – 6 March 1964).
Prince George, Duke of Kent (George Edward Alexander Edmund; 20 December 1902 – 25 August 1942).

Off the top of my head for both Maria and Anastasia as I can't find the list but Tatiana's was much harder. I would appreciate the help for both older girls!

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2017, 07:25:23 AM »
If you're prepared to have your Tatiana marry a mere Prince of the Imperial Blood, how about Oleg Konstantinovich (1892-1914)?

Or there are Boris of Bulgaria, George of Greece and Alexander of Serbia, now that Olga is already spoken for.

Ann

Offline GDSophie

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2017, 08:35:36 AM »
If you're prepared to have your Tatiana marry a mere Prince of the Imperial Blood, how about Oleg Konstantinovich (1892-1914)?

Or there are Boris of Bulgaria, George of Greece and Alexander of Serbia, now that Olga is already spoken for.

Ann

Oleg Konstantinovich still, unfortunately, dies in my AU.

If Tatiana married a Prince of the Imperial Blood, it would be one of these men:
Prince Roman Petrovich of Russia (17 October 1896 – 23 October 1978)
Prince Igor Constantinovich of Russia (10 June 1894 – 18 July 1918)
Prince Constantine Constantinovich of Russia (1 January 1891 – 18 July 1918)

I was thinking of having Princess Elizabeth of Saxe-Altenburg die in late 1916 in a car crash, leaving thirteen year old Georgy and ten year old Princess Vera in the permanent care of Igor/Constantine and Tatiana depending on who she marries earlier that year, but they also take temporary care of two year old Prince Vsevolod and one year old Princess Catherine, Prince John and Princess Helena's children during the war.

It may remind you of Grand Duchess Elizabeth and Grand Duke Sergei taking in Maria and Dmitri after the death of their mother, and it is but a more happier-hopefully-ending to them instead. I don't think Tatiana and her husband will have children of their own, like Ella and Sergei.

If Maria married Paul of Greece (or Tatiana married George) it would place one of them in Greece during the time where King after King kept being booted off the throne and the royal family kept being exiled and titles stripped from them and then given back.

It seems Olga and Anastasia's futures are more quieter then Tatiana's-depending on who she marries-and Maria's, but that also lends the question of future brides for Grand Duke Dmitri and Grand Duke Constantine, the two fictional youngest children and sons of Nicholas and Bathildis.

Offline GDSophie

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2017, 04:31:31 PM »

Ann

Oleg Konstantinovich still, unfortunately, dies in my AU.

If Tatiana married a Prince of the Imperial Blood, it would be one of these men:
Prince Roman Petrovich of Russia (17 October 1896 – 23 October 1978)
Prince Igor Constantinovich of Russia (10 June 1894 – 18 July 1918)
Prince Constantine Constantinovich of Russia (1 January 1891 – 18 July 1918)

I was thinking of having Princess Elizabeth of Saxe-Altenburg die in late 1916 in a car crash, leaving thirteen year old Georgy and ten year old Princess Vera in the permanent care of Igor/Constantine and Tatiana depending on who she marries earlier that year, but they also take temporary care of two year old Prince Vsevolod and one year old Princess Catherine, Prince John and Princess Helena's children during the war.

It may remind you of Grand Duchess Elizabeth and Grand Duke Sergei taking in Maria and Dmitri after the death of their mother, and it is but a more happier-hopefully-ending to them instead. I don't think Tatiana and her husband will have children of their own, like Ella and Sergei.

If Maria married Paul of Greece (or Tatiana married George) it would place one of them in Greece during the time where King after King kept being booted off the throne and the royal family kept being exiled and titles stripped from them and then given back.

It seems Olga and Anastasia's futures are more quieter then Tatiana's-depending on who she marries-and Maria's, but that also lends the question of future brides for Grand Duke Dmitri and Grand Duke Constantine, the two fictional youngest children and sons of Nicholas and Bathildis.

I said that Maria would marry Paul, which is a mistake no Greek is in her list so it's just Tatiana we're talking about.