Author Topic: A New AU fic - title, ideas, help with accuracy?  (Read 2261 times)

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: A New AU fic - title, ideas, help with accuracy?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 03:46:33 AM »
A fictitious daughter of Christian and Helena born in 1868 would be a sensible age to marry in 1890, but Nicholas would still be rather young - the ideal age for royal bridegrooms was 26.

However, fitting her in between Christian Victor, born 14 April 1867, and Albert, born 28 February 1869, is going to be a bit of a squeeze - three children in 22 months. You might be better putting her between Helena Victoria, born 3 May 1870, and Marie Louise, born 12 August 1872. Some time in the early summer of 1871 would fit, and she would then be 19 in 1890.

Ann

Offline GDSophie

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 04:35:51 AM »
A fictitious daughter of Christian and Helena born in 1868 would be a sensible age to marry in 1890, but Nicholas would still be rather young - the ideal age for royal bridegrooms was 26.

However, fitting her in between Christian Victor, born 14 April 1867, and Albert, born 28 February 1869, is going to be a bit of a squeeze - three children in 22 months. You might be better putting her between Helena Victoria, born 3 May 1870, and Marie Louise, born 12 August 1872. Some time in the early summer of 1871 would fit, and she would then be 19 in 1890.

Ann

Her birthday was going to be 3 July, 1868 but I can easily change it to 1871. I thought 1890 would be a good year, as for the planned story to work Alexander has to still be alive; 1890-1894. 1893 could possibly be a better year.
'Give my love to all who remember me' - Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 07:24:34 AM »
19 was a reasonable age for princesses to marry at that time, so you can realistically set the marriage in 1890.

Marie Louise was the only one the the Schleswig-Holsteins to marry, and did so aged 18. The marriage was a disaster, but that was another matter.

Ann

Offline GDSophie

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 08:09:10 AM »
19 was a reasonable age for princesses to marry at that time, so you can realistically set the marriage in 1890.

Marie Louise was the only one the the Schleswig-Holsteins to marry, and did so aged 18. The marriage was a disaster, but that was another matter.

Ann

I'm so bad at math I thought Nicholas was 20 in 1890, which he wasn't he was 23. A reasonable age for him to be married?

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 11:22:59 AM »
Nicholas was born in 1868 so he was 22 in 1890.

Slightly on the young side to marry by contemporary standards (age at marriage was generally going up) but not likely to cause any major concerns.

The youngest royal bridegroom of that era was Alfonso XIII of Spain, who married within days of his 20th birthday in 1906. As a posthumous only son with no uncles and the rival Carlist line very much around, he had a particular need to produce heirs.

Karl Eduard, Duke of Coburg married in 1905 as soon as he was 21. He was in a similar position to Alfonso, though without the rivals.

Andrew of Greece and Alice of Battenberg, parents of the Duke of Edinburgh, were 21 and 18 when they married in 1903, and there was some family concern that they were too young.

I think some comments on the lines of 'Nicky is really rather young' would be appropriate. Albert Victor was 26 in 1890, so at the perfect age.

Hope that helps

Ann

Offline GDSophie

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 11:49:34 AM »
Nicholas was born in 1868 so he was 22 in 1890.

Slightly on the young side to marry by contemporary standards (age at marriage was generally going up) but not likely to cause any major concerns.

The youngest royal bridegroom of that era was Alfonso XIII of Spain, who married within days of his 20th birthday in 1906. As a posthumous only son with no uncles and the rival Carlist line very much around, he had a particular need to produce heirs.

Karl Eduard, Duke of Coburg married in 1905 as soon as he was 21. He was in a similar position to Alfonso, though without the rivals.

Andrew of Greece and Alice of Battenberg, parents of the Duke of Edinburgh, were 21 and 18 when they married in 1903, and there was some family concern that they were too young.

I think some comments on the lines of 'Nicky is really rather young' would be appropriate. Albert Victor was 26 in 1890, so at the perfect age.

Hope that helps

Ann

See, not good at counting it seems. ;D

I'll make sure to remember that. ;) Do you know any royals who married at a young age before 1890? I could have someone use it as a counter-argument to the 'Nicky is really rather young' comments.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 02:17:51 PM »
Prince Albert was 20 when he married in 1840.

Ann

Offline GDSophie

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 02:54:07 PM »
Prince Albert was 20 when he married in 1840.

Ann

Thank you Ann!

Offline GDSophie

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2017, 12:47:40 PM »
A small excerpt from Chapter 1! 'Lili' is the nickname of Princess Alice of Clarence, in case any of you were wondering who she was:

“Lili?” the voice of one of her younger cousins made her turn her head and directly look at Edward, or ‘David’ as he was known by in the family. “Your hat blew off.”

Her hand shot up to touch her head where, sure enough, her hat was not located. Instead she felt how her strawberry blonde hair had been pulled into a chignon early that morning. David lifted up his hand and handed back her hat, which she placed back in it’s rightful place, her cheeks flush as her relatives laughed to themselves.

“No, this is more worse.” she said, not catching her cousin’s confused expression. The press may have pictures of her staring into space while her hat blew away without even noticing.

“Pardon?”

“Oh, nothing.” she waved him off but a quiet outburst from her other cousin and David’s sister, twelve year old Princess Mary made them both look at her.

“Look!” she pointed discreetly, trying not to let her mother see. “They’re here!”

The ship, known as ‘The Standart’ headed straight towards theirs across the water in the distance, ready to pull up next to theirs before heading off to dock at port.

“I think I can see cousin Olga!” her other cousin, nine year old Prince Henry, pointed only to see be scolded by his mother, Princess Mary, for being rude.

“How do you know she’s Olga?” David asked. “She could be Tatiana.”

“I said ‘I think’, it wasn’t a statement.” Henry turned his head away from his brother, nose in the air.

“‘I think I can see cousin Olga’ would be a statement, Henry.” Albert, or ‘Bertie’ as he was known by, cut in.

“Mother told us she’s grown to be taller than the Grand Duchess Olga, so maybe.” her brother stepped into the conversation.

“Then it was probably her.” David nodded and the group of cousins went silent as they watched the Standart get in position to pull next to them.

Lili leaned forward and whispered in her brother’s ear; “Did Henry purposely not say a word with the letter ‘r’ or was he just lucky?” the quick jab she received reminded her not to be so rude, even when the victim was nearby and only nine years younger than herself.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 12:49:47 PM by GDSophie »

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2017, 01:54:56 PM »
Smallish point.

Prince Henry was called Harry within the family.

Ann

Offline GDSophie

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2017, 03:04:14 PM »
Smallish point.

Ann

Thank you Ann! I'll remember that for later.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Rex and Hannah Chronicles Wikia
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2017, 11:37:19 AM »

Just like the current Prince Harry.

Offline GDSophie

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2017, 06:27:21 AM »

Just like the current Prince Harry.

I thought it was weird that everyone calls Prince Harry 'Harry' but William has no nickname the public knows him by.

Offline Превед

• Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
    • Type Russian Without a Keyboard
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2017, 07:04:32 AM »
I thought it was weird that everyone calls Prince Harry 'Harry' but William has no nickname the public knows him by.

Very personable, charming and individualistic persons get nicknames more easily than more sedate and serious persons.

Do also note that William is a name that rolls easily off the tongue, composed of (appoximant) consonant  + vowel  + consonant + approximant + vowel + consonant in neat order. Henry has a rather cumbersome consonant pair in the middle (n+r), especially considering that the r is the beginning of a syllable that just fizzles out in a vowel, instead of ending solidly in a consonant, like in the name's Germanic original: Heimeric / Heinirih / Heinrich.

I see that Wikipedia also notes that Harry was considered the spoken form of Henry in medieval England, probably influenced by the French pronunciation /ãri:/ (or /ãnri:/ in the Middle Ages - do note that the absence of the sound /h/ makes the pronunciation easier in the last case.) So /hɛnriː/ may have developed as an über-correct spelling pronunciation.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 07:11:20 AM by Превед »
Березы севера мне милы,—
Их грустный, опущённый вид,
Как речь безмолвная могилы,
Горячку сердца холодит.

(Афанасий Фет: «Ивы и березы», 1843 / 1856)

Offline Превед

• Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
    • Type Russian Without a Keyboard
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2017, 07:39:54 AM »
She could definitely be a runner up! Her German roots however, considering the Bohemian Court was predominantly German, may have a few problems with Marie and Alexander. He only allowed Nicholas to marry Alix on his deathbed, and Nicholas' wedding is moved to 1890 in this story. Making a fictional other daughter to Princess Helena is much easier, considering I could create her while staying truth to her upbringing-similar to her mother's and sisters-and because she would be predominantly English-even though her father was German-thanks to Victoria wanting Helena to stay close to her, Marie and Alexander wouldn't have a problem with a more English-raised Princess. And Princess Alexandra, Marie's sister, could vouch for her ;).

Well, aren't people tired of reading endless rehearsings of dramas starring Queen Victoria's English descendants, real or fictitious, in different roles? At one point one wearies of Berkshire and longs for Bohemia. If the story is about alternative history one can imagine AIII and MF rather accepting an Austrian daughter-in-law, reared on autocracy and on Slavic soil, rather than a liberal English princess.

Do note that although officially belonging to a German dynasty and a house closely allied with Prussia, Princess Bathildis' father was in Austrian service and even fought on the Austrian side in the German-Austrian War of 1866. Also, don't forget the interesting fact that Princess Bathildis' brother was married to NII's first cousin, Princess Louise of Denmark. That also shows that the anti-Prussian Danish court did not find the family too German. Even though MF no doubt thought her sister-in-law Queen Swan marrying her daughter off to this obscure German-Austrian-Bohemian princeling a mésalliance, she would of course have thought differently if her own daughter-in-law came from this family, with its tragic suicides and mental instability.
Березы севера мне милы,—
Их грустный, опущённый вид,
Как речь безмолвная могилы,
Горячку сердца холодит.

(Афанасий Фет: «Ивы и березы», 1843 / 1856)