Author Topic: Baby Name Announcements?  (Read 687 times)

Offline GDSophie

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Baby Name Announcements?
« on: April 25, 2018, 08:32:16 PM »
The recent birth of the Prince and how they announce the name has got me thinking on how the Romanovs, especially the Tsar, announced the name of their children.

I know they announce the birth with a number of cannon shots from Peter and Paul Fortress depending on the gender, but how did they inform the public of the baby name before it hit the newspapers?
'Give my love to all who remember me' - Olga Nikolaevna

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Rex and Hannah Chronicles Wikia
Re: Baby Name Announcements?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 11:31:51 AM »
That's a good question.  No such thing as radio or television back then.
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
    • Type Russian Without a Keyboard
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 07:07:41 AM »
I know they announce the birth with a number of cannon shots from Peter and Paul Fortress depending on the gender, but how did they inform the public of the baby name before it hit the newspapers?

The Ministry of the Imperial Court probably issued some proclamation, but perhaps not untill the actual baptism? It's unlikely there was much demand to know before it was in the papers. The choice of names was much more limited than in modern, Western monarchies, so you could quite safely bet that the newborn royal would be called Alexander, Nikolay, Pavel, Maria, Alexandra or Olga.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 07:11:01 AM by Превед »
Берёзы севера мне милы,
Их грустный, опущённый вид,
Как речь безмолвная могилы,
Горячку сердца холодит.

(Афанасий Фет: Ивы и берёзы, 1843 / 1856)

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 03:49:38 PM »
I'm looking into Greg King's "The Court of the Last Tsar" regarding royal births and he describes the ceremonies surrounding Alexey Nikolayevich's birth and baptism as an example: No mention is made of a gun salute at the birth; only salutes of 301 shots from Kronstadt and the Fortress of Saints Peter and Paul at the end of the baptism (11 days after the birth). He doesn't say anything about the announcement of the name, but it sounds like it must have been known straight at the birth, as the newborn infant immediately was awarded various imperial orders, enrolled in the Imperial Guards, appointed Ataman of all Cossacks and it was announced that all soldiers in the Imperial Army fighting in the ongoing war against Japan would be named honorary godfathers. It's hard to imagine these honorary, but official acts being performed if the subject of them had no name or the soldiers didn't know what name they sponsored as godfathers.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 04:04:10 PM by Превед »
Берёзы севера мне милы,
Горячку сердца холодит.

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 04:18:52 PM »
I see that my local provincial Norwegian newspaper announced the birth of the heir on the day following the birth (13th of August 1904), but did not name him. The paper noted that his birth would be welcomed by everyone, except those who wished for revolution! and hoped that NII would keep his promise of granting Russia a constitution when a male heir was born.

The name ("prins Alexius"!) was mentioned (in an exposition of the new heir's genealogy) in this Norwegian paper 13 days later, on the 26th of August, a week before the baptism on the 3rd of September.  (Greg King is mistaken about the baptism being 11 days after the birth, he has probably mixed up Old and New Style.)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 04:37:30 PM by Превед »
Берёзы севера мне милы,
Горячку сердца холодит.

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 04:31:10 PM »
From Alexey Nikolayevich's Russian Wikipedia article:

Из телеграммы Барона Фредрикса
Петербург 30 июля. Её Величество Государыня Императрица Александра Федоровна благополучно разрешилась от бремени Сыном, наследником-Цесаревичем и Великим Князем, нареченным при святой молитве Алексеем, 30 июля сего года, в 1 час 15 мин. пополудни в Петергофе.
Подписал: Министр Императорского Двора генерал-адъютант барон Фредерикс.

=
From a telegramm by Baron Freedericksz
Petersburg, 30 July [OS]. Her Majesty Sovereign Empress Alexandra Fyodorovna was safely delivered of the burden of a son, the Heir-Tsesarevich and Grand Duke, named by? / at? holy prayer Alexey, on July 30 this year, at 1:15. PM in Peterhof.
Signed: Minister of the Imperial Court General-Adjutant Baron Freedericksz.

So yes, the name was known from the birth. The telegramm was probably sent to different authorities and soon spread to the media.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 05:00:32 PM by Превед »
Берёзы севера мне милы,
Горячку сердца холодит.

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 04:54:39 PM »
BTW I see that several other Norwegian provincial papers called the newborn heir "storfyrste Alexis" already on the 13th of August.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 04:58:07 PM by Превед »
Берёзы севера мне милы,
Горячку сердца холодит.