Author Topic: Bigotry as cause of revolution  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Ellie

• View Profile
Bigotry as cause of revolution
« on: September 23, 2018, 11:51:02 PM »
I've been reading much about the Romanovs and the Russian Revolution in general, as you might have noticed. I've written posts expressing my guilt as a Jew for their strong representation in the Bolshevik movement, and I do feel a sense of national guilt and revulsion.
However, I can't but ignore the inexplicable hatred the Russians felt for my people going as far back as Peter the Great.
The revolution is largely related to the disconnection between the upper classes - i.e. artistocracy, nobility - and the larger poverty stricken and illiterate masses, which in Marx terms would be class struggle.

Lately, my reflections have taken a somewhat different turn; namely, more than the class struggle, can the revolution be related to  resentment of the national minorities?.

During the 19th Century there was a sort of liberal attempt to accept the Jews on condition that they assimilate and relinquish their traditions (see Benjamin Nathan Beyond the Pale) Could the violence of the revolution have been avoided, at least to some extent, had the powers that be accepted people as they were sans bigotry?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 12:03:42 AM by Ellie »

Offline Sanochka

• Graf
    • View Profile
Re: Bigotry as cause of revolution
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 10:58:01 AM »
Interesting and thought-provoking post.  In answer to your last question, I don't believe the violence of the Revolution can be attributed to any one cause.  Anti-Semitism and pogroms against the Jews during the Romanovs' 300-year reign certainly couldn't have worked in their favor during the Revolution, and can't have but exacerbated the violence.  But that was only part of it, and a small part at that.  For reasons that are well-known, revolution in Russia was inevitable.  But there was no peacefully "sitting down at the table" to achieve that.  1905 and resulting creation of the Duma proved that.  But the regime was still so entrenched and enough Russians continued to support it and resist change that violence, unfortunately, was the only way.