Author Topic: Travel to Russia  - Exeter International  (Read 154995 times)

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
Re: Travel to Russia  - Exeter International
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2006, 11:02:57 AM »
Helen, I have never been asked for any id when using my ccs. And believe me- I used them a LOT !  Actually, the only time I have ever been asked for my passport was at the hotels, when checking in.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2006, 11:46:30 AM »
Helen, I have never been asked for any id when using my ccs. And believe me- I used them a LOT ! 

Maybe I just looked particularly *shifty* to them!  :D

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2006, 12:14:39 PM »

I never leave home without it !
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Offline leslie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2006, 05:09:45 PM »
The post about having your passport with your for ID when you use a CC for purchase worries me.  I've heard that hotels actually keep your passport during your stay.  Is that true?

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2006, 05:18:56 PM »
Yes, but it is nothing to worry about. They give it back in a couple of hours. They need it for registration with the authorities. This is done all over the world, not just Russia.
 Like I said, I have never been asked for my passport using a cc. Not once in 3 visits.

Offline Raegan

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2006, 05:29:25 PM »
I'm going to St. Petersburg for 10 days next month.  The hotel costs are taken care of already.  I have no clue as to how much money I should take for food and extras (like all the books I plan on buying in the museums and palaces!).  Should I exclusively use a credit card?  Cash?  Combination?  I'm hoping that someone from the forum can give me some advice.

Before I left for my second trip to Russia, I exchanged dollars for rubles at an international airport in the United States. It takes about ten days or so, but this is an option if you want to arrive to St. Petersburg with rubles. If not, currency exchanges are not hard to find in the city.

As for the passport situtation in hotels, the place I stayed at kept mine until I checked out.

I hope this information is helpful. Have a great time! :)

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2006, 05:39:31 PM »
You get a better exhange rate using the atms that are all over, or ccs. All the museum shops I have been to take ccs.

Offline Douglas

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Travel to Russia - Exeter International
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2006, 10:07:10 PM »
GD Anastasia:

What?  Your relative was charged 100% in taxes on the hotel room??

That is the sort of thing that happens in third world countries or worse.

I can hardly believe it.  If that was required of me I would ask for the manager and keep it up until I got the right answer.

Sounds like the clerk wanted to make a few extra bucks.

I got ripped off in Australia once.  At  the post office I gave money and my letters to the clerk....guess what ....my letters never arrived back home. This also happened to my mother in Israel.

Best advice is to buy stamps and place your letters in a mail box.

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2006, 10:56:19 PM »
Helen, I have never been asked for any id when using my ccs. And believe me- I used them a LOT !  Actually, the only time I have ever been asked for my passport was at the hotels, when checking in.

My passport (returned within 2 hrs on checking in) was always securely locked inside my hotel room safe. The few times I was asked for some form of I.D., because I was staying at a 5* Hotel in Moscow, I was given a special piece of paper (advised to carry on my person at all times) that acted like a "passport" I.D. It always satisfied the store attendants.

However in St.P. I was never asked for any form of I.D. when using my CC.
  ::)

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
  • don't take yourself too seriously
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2006, 06:34:32 PM »
I am planning my first trip to Russia for next year. There are so many places I want to visit, I'm not sure where to start. I thought I'd ask some of you who have been there where you would go, what you would do etc. on your first trip. I am going with a friend and neither of us speak Russian. But we don't want to go on a tour. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Lexi
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2006, 07:44:08 AM »
Language could be a problem, as English is not as unversal as one might expect.  Hiring a private guide  is one option. He/she  would expidite entrance to what you want to see as well as translate for you.

Offline Tatyana

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2006, 12:36:01 AM »
A lot depends on your budget: hiring English-speaking guides & cars can get very pricey very fast.
For your first trip, you really ought to consider a small group tour -- take a look at some that Mir offers. They can also do a personalized trip for you, for a price!
I've travelled to Russia almost every year since 1979 & still haven't seen all I want to. The first few times I took group tours & went off on my own when I wanted to. Groups build in a lot of wasted time around meals, so pack a snack & rejoin the group later.
Tatyana

Offline viv rosendahl

• east,west, home is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2007, 11:59:02 AM »
Is this the right forum for a question about travel to Russia??

I'm going on a package tour to St. Petersburg in June. A trip to Peterhof is included, however
I'd like to go to Gatchina on my "afternoon off". Is it possible and adviseable?
Does someone know of any sightseeing-tours in that area? I've checked various relevant
websites, and most operators seem to offer day tours to Tsarskoje Selo (Pushkin),
Pavlovsk and Peterhof.

Suggestions and advice appreciated!!
thank you!

Viv

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2007, 12:15:59 PM »
Gatchina is a bit farther out than the other palaces, and it is not much restored,but is worth the effort, if for the gardens alone.  Your hotel can arrange a seperate tour for you.  Another surprise treat is Oranienbaum.  Also, in disrepair but lovely gardens and pavillions. It is a bit further out than Peterhof. If you can, try to explore the Alexnadra Gardens next to Peterhof. Some nice surprises there as well. Restoration work is ongoing at all these places, by the way.
 Cheers and I hope you enjoy your journey.
 Robert

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2007, 01:02:54 AM »
I think that better to go to Pushkin/Pavlovsk than to go to Gatchina during your first visit of Russia.