Author Topic: Tsarist Russia sent forward in time to WWII  (Read 325 times)

Offline The Test Card Girl

• View Profile
Tsarist Russia sent forward in time to WWII
« on: September 28, 2018, 07:02:13 PM »
I'm writing a story where the theoretical territory of Imperial Russia on the date of the tercentenary of the Romanovs in 1913 is sent thirty years in time forward to 1943.

How do the Western Allies react? How do the Nazis react?

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Rex and Hannah Chronicles Wikia
Re: Tsarist Russia sent forward in time to WWII
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 12:06:13 AM »
I find it very unlikely that the tercentenary would have gone forward in the middle of World War II.

When you have Nazi troops slaughtering your people by the millions, celebrating is that last thing on anyone's mind.
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
    • Type Russian Without a Keyboard
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 01:10:48 PM »
I'm writing a story where the theoretical territory of Imperial Russia on the date of the tercentenary of the Romanovs in 1913 is sent thirty years in time forward to 1943.

How do the Western Allies react? How do the Nazis react?

The parallells to the conditions under which the Romanov dynasty came to sit on the Russian throne in 1613 would be striking in 1943: The Time of Troubles with western neighbours (Poles and Swedes then, Germans now) invading and the Russian state nearly collapsing. The Romanovs would harvest immortal laurels if they once more saved Russia on their very tercentenary.

Берёзы севера мне милы,
Их грустный, опущённый вид,
Как речь безмолвная могилы,
Горячку сердца холодит.

(Афанасий Фет: Ивы и берёзы, 1843 / 1856)

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 12:06:29 AM »
This is an interesting idea.  However, as I said, it is very unlikely that any such celebrations would have happened during World War II. 

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
    • Type Russian Without a Keyboard
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 01:29:31 PM »
However, as I said, it is very unlikely that any such celebrations would have happened during World War II.

Any celebrations would be simple and low-key, intensely religious, with focus on deliverance. If the IF went on a tour it would be to boost fighting morale. But they would be way more powerful than those in 1913. People would sing "Bozhe tsarya khrani" like they really meant it! Monarch and people would be one. Compare the role of the British RF during the Battle of Britain.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 01:31:37 PM by Превед »
Берёзы севера мне милы,
Их грустный, опущённый вид,
Как речь безмолвная могилы,
Горячку сердца холодит.

(Афанасий Фет: Ивы и берёзы, 1843 / 1856)

Offline GDSophie

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 06:02:08 PM »
Wait, do you mean Imperial Russia in 1913 somehow replaces 1943 Russia? Like one day Russians wake up to find themselves 30 years into the future?
'Give my love to all who remember me' - Olga Nikolaevna

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 12:07:51 AM »
Like one day Russians wake up to find themselves 30 years into the future?

No, I think the idea is that, in this story, the Romanov Dynasty started in 1643, instead of 1613.  However, the premise is flawed in that there would have been no celebrations in the middle of World War II!

Offline The Test Card Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 03:44:51 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_in_the_Sea_of_Time

Imperial Russia being moved from 1913 to 1943 like the scenario in this novel.

Well good news is that a huge proportion of the German army has been destroyed.  Bad news is that what replaces Soviet Russia is a hell of a lot weaker and seriously confused.  Depending on the exact date and how quickly the western allies respond you might see desperate attempts by them to make landings to pin down the remaining German forces.  Best bet would be in the Med as that's where the forces and best options are but you could see an early, probably suicidal landing in N France to tie the Germans down and limit what they can send east.

Russian forces will probably fight fairly well in the early stages as they have some good forces, albeit with limited equipment [for 1913] and some really crap generals, but German 43 forces are going to slaughter them wholesale. :(

One other possible factor is that the Chinese will stop receiving aid from Russia in their war against Japan and with the Burma road cut that could hamper the nationalists somewhat.  However in the slightly longer run, with no chance of an effective Russian invasion of Manchuria and the imperial regimes view of communism I can't see Mao's people getting any help.

Russia will be helped with Finland also being taken back to 1913 as that will mean the German forces in Finland will also be lost but how quickly some of the garrison in Norway can be sent around the north and what reaction they might get in Finland I don't know.  Just a possibility that the allies might be able to swing Sweden from neutrality for a joint operation to liberate Norway but that would rely on Sweden to realise how badly the Germans had been hit and being willing to join the conflict.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 03:48:32 PM by The Test Card Girl »

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 05:01:39 PM »
Yes, but would the tercentenary happen with all this going on?