Author Topic: King George II & Queen Elizabeth (nee Romania)  (Read 193526 times)

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: King George II & Queen Elizabeth (nee Romania)
« Reply #195 on: December 29, 2009, 10:30:13 PM »
Hi,

Yes, Elisabeth was more rotund than Pola Negri and pobably taller too...
But, there is a facial resemblance of Eastern European proportions in some of their pictures.

I knew Miss Negri very well and she would have thought the word 'sacrilege' in comparing anyone to her was hilarious!!
That was a good laugh for me...

But now, an end to this;  as this is a thread on George II and Elisabeth of Greece...
Back on topic - - -

Larry

Offline Carolath Habsburg

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
    • Victorian & edwardian roleplay in spanish!
« Reply #196 on: December 29, 2009, 10:56:53 PM »
i dislike in the most Elisaveth to compare it with Miss Neri so for me and other follower ITS actually kind of sacrily and dont see the fun part to this in any ways... So PLEASE, be more respectful

Lets compare Elisaveth wth Jean Harlow..!!!

Lets compare Elisaveth with Clara bow!!!!!

Lets compare Elisaveth with Billiew dove!!!

NOOOO she was in her own way "glamorous", but lets NO compare her with anyone else..its  ridiculous. for sure...

Anyways..... here s another pic of elisaveta..

« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 11:05:41 PM by Katenka_Fyodorovna »

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 30, 2009, 04:24:08 PM »
Eric...Elisaveta was BLONDE and had light colored eyes

These pics proves it.

I dont see a bit of the "darker" stuff you re talking about.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 04:25:51 PM by Katenka_Fyodorovna »

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 30, 2009, 08:32:48 PM »
Look at her when she was much older...was she still blonde ? Her hair turned dark.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 30, 2009, 09:58:50 PM »
(sigh)

Thats is obvious in mostly of people who was born blonde .....

Jesus....

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 31, 2009, 02:39:09 PM »
The resemblence of Elisabetta to her Portuguese grandmother was agree upon even by Missy. Her later intrigues did also resembled her grandmother in more ways than one.

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 01, 2010, 04:26:50 AM »
George and Elisabeth :

Reginei Mama Elena a Romaniei

Offline Janet Ashton

• Knyaz
  • www.directarticle.org
    • View Profile
    • Direct Article
« Reply #202 on: January 01, 2010, 09:27:50 AM »
The resemblence of Elisabetta to her Portuguese grandmother was agree upon even by Missy. Her later intrigues did also resembled her grandmother in more ways than one.

Her paternal grand mother was also BLOND - having Braganza as a surname means nothing; not all Portuguese people are dark, and this one happened to have  a Coburg father and a Habsburg grandmother - so both her her parents also had light hair and eyes.

I assume that your reference to "resembling her grand mother in more ways than one" indicates that you deem Antonia to be a "trouble-maker" because Queen Marie says so. But even Queen Marie does not assert that Antonia made trouble beyond her own family, so the caparison to Elisabetha is not that apt, IMO. In reality, despite dismissive remarks from Empress Frederick as well about her lack of education, Antonia took a keen interest in the world political scene, and had justifiable misgivings about her son's position in Romania, which were obviously reflected in her attitude to her daughter-in-law's love affairs. I am not sure any mother would be happy to watch their son cuckolded.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many; they are few.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 01, 2010, 01:19:19 PM »
Many people agree that Elisabetta looked like her grandmother. Why argue the obvious ? Yes Antonia did stir up trouble between her daughters-in-law. If Infanta Antonia had an exe to grind with Missy, why also did the same to Madi & Henriette ? Did they cuckolded their husbands too ? I think she was toublemaker rather than a matriach that wanted to create harmony within the family. She was rich and spoilt in Missy's opinion. Also remember Missy started to stray only after Karol & Elisabetta was born.

Offline Janet Ashton

• Knyaz
  • www.directarticle.org
    • View Profile
    • Direct Article
« Reply #204 on: January 01, 2010, 02:13:13 PM »
Many people agree that Elisabetta looked like her grandmother. Why argue the obvious ?

What exactly do you mean by this? I have no idea how it relates to what I posted.

Yes Antonia did stir up trouble between her daughters-in-law. If Infanta Antonia had an exe to grind with Missy, why also did the same to Madi & Henriette ? Did they cuckolded their husbands too ? I think she was toublemaker rather than a matriach that wanted to create harmony within the family. She was rich and spoilt in Missy's opinion. Also remember Missy started to stray only after Karol & Elisabetta was born.

"Missy's" view on the matter is the view of one individual. In order to form a balanced opinion of someone, one must look at the entirety of the picture of that person, taking all views and possibilities into consideration. I have no notion whether Maria Theresia cuckolded her husband; this was not the nature of her mother-in-law's issues with her, or those of other people who found her "odd" and "presumptuous". I think it's pretty clear from Queen Marie's own veiled comments that unfidelity certainly WAS the nature of her problems with Queen Marie; and certainly started AFTER the birth of the first two children, since Antonia's view of her new daughter-in-law had been positive until that point.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 01, 2010, 02:21:08 PM »
Nevertheless, she did try to play favourites with her daughters-in-law. I read from other sources that Antonia was rich (she most certainly was) and spoilt. It make sense. Missy was impressionable when she wedded Nando. It is hard to pin point where her relationship with her husband went sour. It was between them rather than the mother-in-law. Elisabetta's later actions of allying herself to her brother and drifted periodically to Missy was certainly not stable. She even once forgot her manners and slapped her sister Helen...

Offline Janet Ashton

• Knyaz
  • www.directarticle.org
    • View Profile
    • Direct Article
« Reply #206 on: January 03, 2010, 05:44:19 AM »
Nevertheless, she did try to play favourites with her daughters-in-law. I read from other sources that Antonia was rich (she most certainly was) and spoilt. It make sense.

In the beginning, she obviously liked Marie more than Maria Theresia, and didn't hesitate to show this to them. They thought this was "playing favourites" but she called it "being direct". Empress Frederick tended to characterize Antonia as immature and rather over-protected by Leopold, at least when she was young, but no-one else disliked her; I suspect that "other sources" which call her spoilt are bios of Queen Marie taking their cue from queen Marie; very little else has been written on Antonia specifically, at least in English (though a friend and I have an article in a forthcoming RDQ). I am just interested in he because I like the Portuguese language and wanted to do another article that uses it!

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 03, 2010, 08:20:06 PM »
Anyway, Elisabetta was worse than her grandmother, as she did dabble in politics and family relationships.

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 15, 2010, 12:03:05 PM »
George :

Elisabeth :

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 20, 2010, 01:51:21 PM »
Elisabeth, Mignon and George in Tatoi, 1923-1924  :

Elisabeth in evening dress with her brother Carol and Guests, 1931-1932 :