Author Topic: House of Wittelsbach  (Read 42466 times)

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: House of Wittelsbach
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2005, 05:25:59 PM »
Is that crown on the portrait still existing? What are the details of the jewel?
HerrKaiser

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2005, 04:49:16 AM »
The Regalia of the Royal House are at display in the Schatzkammer(Treasury) of the Residenz in Munich.
The Queens Crown:
http://www.schloesser.bayern.de/bilder/schloss/mu_schatzkammer1.jpg

for more info:
http://www.schloesserbayern.de/english/palace/objects

or Ursula's wonderfull site:
http://www.royal-magazin.de/german/bayern/
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Lucien »
Je Maintiendrai

Offline cimbrio

• Knyaz
  • Für Ludwig II
    • View Profile
    • GonDan's Royalty Family Trees
« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2005, 05:17:36 AM »
How rich is the Bavarian royal family, or the head of the family anyway? Did they lose many possessions after the November  Abdications in 1918? I've read Ludwig III was especially surprised, since he was popular and had tried to stay out of the war as much as possible, although his son did fight (in the Battle of Lorraine if I'm not mistaken...).

Linnea

« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2005, 07:16:03 AM »
In comparision to other German royal families, the Bavarian are still very rich. The head of the family, Duke Franz of Bavaria lives in Schloss Nymphenburg in Munich. The Wittelsbach Family made a contract with the Bavarian state in the 1920s, the "Wittlesbacher Ausgleichsfond", which garants each member of the family a payment (this still runs today). Maybe Prince Luitpold, future head of the family, is the richest member of the family. He runs his own brawery in his castle Kaltenberg in Landsberg am Lech in Southern Bavaria. He also has founded the "Kaltenberger Ritterturnier", a festival about the Middle Agers with knights etc(http://www.ritterturnier.de).
After the revolution in 1918, the family lost of course the Residenz in Munich, but not much else. After 1945, they lost their possesions in Boehemia and Hungary. The family has still the right to abode in many castles such as Neuschwanstein, Linderhof, Berchtesgaden etc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Linnea »

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2005, 07:25:53 AM »
How rich is the Bavarian royal family, or the head of the family anyway? Did they lose many possessions after the November  Abdications in 1918? I've read Ludwig III was especially surprised, since he was popular and had tried to stay out of the war as much as possible, although his son did fight (in the Battle of Lorraine if I'm not mistaken...).

Cimbrio,maybe you find the answers to a lot of questions about the House of Wittelsbach on this site,if I'm permitted to post,
http://groups.msn.com/PalaceWittelsbach/wittelsbachbusinessenterprises.msnw

Je Maintiendrai

Offline cimbrio

• Knyaz
  • Für Ludwig II
    • View Profile
    • GonDan's Royalty Family Trees
« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2005, 08:22:49 AM »
Thank you both Linnea and Lucien; I wanted to know: I've read that Sissi had a "grave accident" in Sassetôt (France) in September 1875. Could this refer to an alledged love affair she ahd there, or was there also a real ACCIDENT?

Linnea

« Reply #96 on: October 14, 2005, 09:12:31 AM »
There were many rumors about her accident in Sasserot (birth of a son), but these rumors are of course not true. Elisabeth really had a serious riding accident in Sasserot, but even this couldn´t hold her away from her beloved horses for long. But her daughter Marie Valerie had to swear to her to never get near a horse! ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Linnea »

Agneschen

« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2005, 07:41:13 AM »
Ludwig (left) and brother Otto (right) as teenagers :

Agneschen

« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2005, 07:59:40 AM »
from left to right : Ludwig, Queen Marie, King Max, Otto :

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2005, 08:47:08 AM »
Prince Luitpold in the picture above with Queen Maria has superb calf muscles, i wonder what exercises he did for them??  ;D

Unless it was just padding  ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Eddieboy_uk »
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2005, 03:02:05 AM »
Prince Luitpold in the picture above with Queen Maria has superb calf muscles, i wonder what exercises he did for them??  ;D

Unless it was just padding  ;D

Hehe, may be he was a sportsman. Two more pics of him

in 1861

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2005, 06:50:10 AM »
lol, probably, although i remember hearing that some times they used padding also! If not they certainly are a good pair of calves  ;D

Great pics.
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2005, 11:57:16 AM »
What was the reaction to Lola Montes, not only by the Wittlesbachs, but also by the extended family across Europe and Great Britain? She must have caused a few fainting spells.  ;)
HerrKaiser

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2005, 11:59:06 PM »
Wittelsbach of our days.
The wedding of Prince Manuel of Bavaria to Princess Anna zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg,"Poldi's" son,last august:
http://www.royalpress.nl/20050806.html
Je Maintiendrai

Offline Duke_of_Lynnwood

• I think I'm addicted to Royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2005, 01:11:12 AM »
I know this is the Hohenzollern section but I can't think of any where else to bring up german princes. I studied the Bavarians some years ago back to Bavarians of the Holy Roman Empire, but I forgot or really got confused with the Dukes in Bavaria and the royal family of Bavaria.

Didn't the Dukes in Bavaria line become extinct? Or really did it merge with the main Bavarian line because Elisabeth in Bavaria who married King Ludwig III?
Duke of Lynwood
Earl of Riverside
Baron Lancaster

I, the Duke