Author Topic: Audio lectures about Russian history  (Read 3110 times)

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
Audio lectures about Russian history
« on: February 02, 2005, 02:08:39 PM »
I would like to make a recommendation. I just ordered some audio lectures and found them to be absolutely great! One of them is called "History of Russia: From Peter the Great to Gorbachev", you can read more about it at this link:

http://www.teach12.com/store/courseInfo.asp?id=8380&d=History+of+Russia%3A+From+Peter+the+Great+to+Gorbachev#C1

There are 26 half-hour lectures altogether and it is formatted like a real course. They come on audio tapes, CDs, video or DVD and are priced accordingly. Real good stuff!

Many different topics are available including history of Tudors and Stuarts. I am so glad I discovered this.  

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
Re: Audio lectures about Russian history
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 10:41:15 PM »
An interesting way to present basic Russian history using DVD's etc. I wonder what type of imagery Steinberg used?

I have a set of 8 DVD's which was produced in SPb in 2003-4, in the Russian language. The historic detail starts with Peter the Great and concludes with Nikolai II and his era. The Russian presenter visits the actual sites where all the events under discusion occurred so that the audience can see and feel each location. His presentation is enhanced with either actual imperial documentary film clips, diary enteries and letters or portraits and objects etc.

The Steinberg tapes are probably more technical than my compilation and would be interesting to have as well.  Hmm ...  :)

Thanks Helen for introducing this English language version. ;)

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 09:16:01 AM »
I am about half way though listening to them, and it is very good. I learned a lot already. They're basically presented like real lectures, and is very convenient to listen to if you drive a lot, or to listen to while you are doing something else, like cleaning!  :)

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 08:24:41 PM »
So the Steinberg tapes are auditory only? Hmm ... Is there any book accompaning the series?

Offline Denise

• Knyaz
  • Anneliese: Historian in training
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 08:28:17 PM »
You can get them in DVD, VHS, CD or cassette, plus there is a transcript available.  I'll be adding these to a wish list!

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 08:44:20 PM »
So the Steinberg tapes are auditory only? Hmm ... Is there any book accompaning the series?

A booklet came with the tapes, and as Denise said, you can get them on video too and I believe there is even a text book that you can through them... I really like these lectures! I wish I could get many more of them, but they are quite expensive. I also got The History of England one and Age of Henry VIII. But I was able to talk my town's library into purchasing some other lectures, so they will be getting them some time soon  ;).

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2005, 09:13:31 PM »
I really like these lectures!  

Helen, why do you like these particular lectures? ::)

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 09:23:12 PM »

Helen, why do you like these particular lectures? ::)

Well, I like lectures on tape and books on tape in general, because I can listen to them in my car or while I am exercising and still feel like I am doing school work  ;). I like this Russian one because I am actually learning a lot of things about Russian history that I didn't really know before. For some reason for me, it is more interesting to hear certain things than to read them... I retain them better...I don't know why.

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2005, 11:37:47 PM »
I'm the opposite, I need to see the words in print and then I can often remember where I read a particular passage in a book and refer back to it. I visualize the page and its style of print and sometimes which side of the open book I last saw the extract. Odd but it works for me, even after many years and hundreds of books.

When I used auditory tapes (missed lectures etc) I had to write everything  as I heard it  before it hit the mark.