Author Topic: Alexander III  (Read 129547 times)

Offline SweetAngels

• "Damm the rules, make it an experiment"-BP
    • View Profile
Re: First love of Alexander III
« Reply #165 on: January 22, 2010, 01:54:18 PM »
It was sad to read about Maria M tragic death and even sad to read about Sasha's love to her and knowing he couldn't married his true love. I think that even thought Sasha didn't true love Minnie like Nixa did but I think after the marriage and having all those children he truly loved Minnie and I don't think he regretted in the end.

"He who knows best, never learns anything"~Henrik Tikkanen
"Wo man singt, da lass Dich ruhig nieder. Böse Menschen haben keine Lieder."~ J. C Seume

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 25, 2010, 03:07:37 PM »
It was sad to read about Maria M tragic death and even sad to read about Sasha's love to her and knowing he couldn't married his true love. I think that even thought Sasha didn't true love Minnie like Nixa did but I think after the marriage and having all those children he truly loved Minnie and I don't think he regretted in the end.

There are so many different kinds of love in this world! What Dagmar had with Nixa and Sasha with Marie M was more infatuation IMHO. There was certainly strong attraction and interest with both couples, but it never really went anywhere.

There is little doubt that there was always a type of friendship between Sacha and Dagmar. Over time, this became "true love" in the sense I think you mean it.

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander III
« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2010, 03:01:26 PM »
I came across an old newspaper article today about the Borki accident It stated the weather was stormy at the time of the accident. To my recollection, I don't ever remember weather being mentioned as a factor at the time of the accident.

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2010, 03:28:51 PM »
Here is a portrait of the granite memorial over the grave of Kamchatka at Gatchina. Kamchatka was Alexander III's favorite dog who was killed in the railway accident near Borki.

http://history-gatchina.ru/parks/park/imgpark/kamchatka.jpg

Lady Nikolaievna

« Reply #169 on: July 31, 2010, 01:14:14 PM »
 :o  I just found a small photo of Maria on this Russian website which tells the story of her romance with Alexander   ;D:
http://www.peoples.ru/love/alexander-mariya/
Wasn’t she beautiful?! No wonder he fell in love with her!!

I couldn't see any picture of her, only one I always thought it was Maria Feodorovna... is that the one?

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 02, 2010, 09:56:33 PM »

Princess Maria 1865

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #171 on: September 11, 2010, 06:37:43 PM »
alexander iii

Charles Lowe's book ALEXANDER III OF RUSSIA, which was first published in 1895,  gives us a lengthly character study of the Emp. and Tsar Alex. III:
>>The personality of late Tsar, in spite of his simplicity in some things, was a most perplexing one.  Some one aptly described him as a "psychological enigma."  He was a large but by no means a luminous figure on the canvas of time, and it was hard to say which of his ancestors he most resembled. Perhaps it would be near the truth to say that he was a kind of "Frankenstein monster," compounded of fragments of the characters of some of his predecessors on the throne of the Romanoffs.  In his prime he enjoyed the physical strength of the Great Peter without Peter's tremendous energy; and his physical courage was never of the highest. There were some taints in his mental composition which reminded on of his great-grandfather Paul, who was deposed and strangled as a kind of a dangerous lunatic; nor was he all together without a taint of the dreamy idealism which distinguished his grand-uncle, Alexander Il, of who Madame de Stael said his "character was a constitution to his subjects." Again, he had much in common which his grandfather, the despotic and reactionary Nicholas; while on the other hand, his tendencies at one time betrayed the benevolent and reforming spirit of his father the "Tsar Emancipator."<<

Agree, if so,  why?

Disagree, if so, why?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 06:43:13 PM by AGRBear »
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
Auction±Alexander III
« Reply #172 on: December 06, 2010, 08:26:02 AM »
Je Maintiendrai

Offline Sergei Witte

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: Auction±Alexander III
« Reply #173 on: December 06, 2010, 05:03:33 PM »
Interesting auction!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11913509

To me this is the news of the year!! Wonderful.

Offline Sergei Witte

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 06, 2010, 05:15:34 PM »
Charles Lowe's book ALEXANDER III OF RUSSIA, which was first published in 1895,  gives us a lengthly character study of the Emp. and Tsar Alex. III:
>>The personality of late Tsar, in spite of his simplicity in some things, was a most perplexing one.  Some one aptly described him as a "psychological enigma."  He was a large but by no means a luminous figure on the canvas of time, and it was hard to say which of his ancestors he most resembled. Perhaps it would be near the truth to say that he was a kind of "Frankenstein monster," compounded of fragments of the characters of some of his predecessors on the throne of the Romanoffs.  In his prime he enjoyed the physical strength of the Great Peter without Peter's tremendous energy; and his physical courage was never of the highest. There were some taints in his mental composition which reminded on of his great-grandfather Paul, who was deposed and strangled as a kind of a dangerous lunatic; nor was he all together without a taint of the dreamy idealism which distinguished his grand-uncle, Alexander Il, of who Madame de Stael said his "character was a constitution to his subjects." Again, he had much in common which his grandfather, the despotic and reactionary Nicholas; while on the other hand, his tendencies at one time betrayed the benevolent and reforming spirit of his father the "Tsar Emancipator."<<

Agree, if so,  why?

Disagree, if so, why?
I couldn't resist to react.
In part I agree. But the language used by this writer has an obvious superior tone and sounds very denigrating. He has some political interest in making a caricature of the Tsar. That is why I don't want to read that book. It would only annoy me.

Offline Ella von Hessen

• Ella von Hessen und bei Rhein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 09, 2011, 02:41:11 PM »

Princess Maria Mescherskaya (left)
and her closest friend of Alexander Zhukovsky
a walk in the park of Tsarskoe Selo
(Photo 1865)

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 10, 2011, 01:18:08 AM »
 I had never seen the painting before. Thank you for sharing those lovely photos.

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #177 on: January 10, 2011, 06:27:34 AM »
I had never seen the painting before. Thank you for sharing those lovely photos.

But in the painting is not Maria, but second wife of Pavel Demidov San-Donato, Elena Troubetzkaya. Maria was Pavel's 1st wife.

Offline Ella von Hessen

• Ella von Hessen und bei Rhein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 17, 2011, 12:26:25 PM »

But in the painting is not Maria, but second wife of Pavel Demidov San-Donato, Elena Troubetzkaya. Maria was Pavel's 1st wife.

This portrait I've found here http://www.kajuta.net/node/2120 where this portrait was signed as Maria Demidova Elimovna-Mescherskaya.  
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 12:15:08 AM by Svetabel »

Offline Yelena Aleksandrovna

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #179 on: January 18, 2011, 12:17:46 PM »
Thank you very much for the info and all the images posted! About the second link that Ella gave... I couldn't see nothing, it said that the page didn't exixst  :'( , I wonder if someone can post the picture again. Thank you!