Author Topic: Rasputin's Funeral and Burial  (Read 25382 times)

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
Re: Rasputin; where was he buried?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2005, 09:37:48 AM »
I don't think they have it right. As for the exact location, it may never be publicly revealed Scott. We have had word from Father Gennady and Father Markel that they have always known the exact spot, but do not want it made public for fear of it becoming a place of weird rituals and seances and all that stuff. Sadly, their concerns are legitimate in today's world.

Offline Baby Tsarevich

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Anastacia Pavlovna V.
    • View Profile
    • Alyosha Sunbeam. (Mine and Dana's)
Rasputins Funeral
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2005, 11:10:28 AM »
Are there any photo's from Rasputin's funeral?

And I heard that Olga did not attend, was this true? and if so why? ???

~Anastasia~
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 10:09:10 PM by Alixz »

AlyoshaSunbeam.com
updtd jan.22;2007.
check out the new addition: Nasha Russia

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Rasputins Funeral
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2005, 02:22:37 PM »
There are no photos of Rasputin's funeral. It was a very small funeral, attended only by the Imperial Family themselves, Rasputin's family, A.A. Vyroubova, and a few close friends. (according to Spiridovitch in his biography of Rasputin).

Offline Baby Tsarevich

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Anastacia Pavlovna V.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2005, 03:08:48 PM »
O ok thanx FA! :)

Did Olga attend?

AlyoshaSunbeam.com
updtd jan.22;2007.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2005, 03:11:35 PM »
Yes.

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2005, 05:47:43 PM »
When I get to posting it, you can read her thoughts on the funeral from her diary. I've already posted Maria's. (Grand Duchess Olga's diaries thread).

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2005, 07:07:56 PM »
When I get to posting it, you can read her thoughts on the funeral from her diary. I've already posted Maria's. (Grand Duchess Olga's diaries thread).

I don't have the book in front of me, but Nicholas wrote: "today we buried unforgettable Gregory, killed by monsters at the home of F. Yussoupov"

Offline Baby Tsarevich

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Anastacia Pavlovna V.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2005, 11:02:36 PM »
I can't wait to read the entry in Olga's diary!

« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 10:09:41 PM by Alixz »

AlyoshaSunbeam.com
updtd jan.22;2007.

AlexP

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2005, 11:07:01 PM »
It was exceptionally cold the day of Rasputin's funeral so he was not buried very, very deep into the earth.

It was all done rather furtively; there was just a scratch choir and much Church "ikonomia" was used in the service.  There was no "otpevaniya" as prescribed by Russian Orthodox Church canons, just a short "pogrebeniya" with a very, very simplified "litiya" which concluded with a "vechnaya pamyat" and because of the extreme severity of the weather, it was sung standing and not kneeling.

Technically, a "panihikda" should have been served for three days, twice daily, together with the reading of the entire "Psaltir" over the body and then the "otpevaniya" should have followed.  All of that was dispensed with given the already omnipresent Revolutionary fervor, and to some extent, Alexandra's state of very convulsed grief.

The mortuary "litiya" lasted for not more than 10-15 minutes, instead of the requisite hour.  The 50 Psalm was not read; the 90th Psalm was not ready.  The funeral dirge "With the Saints Give Rest" was sung but the very beautiful singing of the 118th Psalm was not sung at all, and in most cases, is sung in its entirety.

Rasputin was buried, however, with his face facing the East, as custom dictates.

Oh, one important thing I forgot to mention.  He was NOT given a monastic order of burial, even in an abbreviated form. And when mentioned, he was mentioned as is the custom as only "Rab Bozhia Grigoria Efrimovitcha".

Finally, one of the VERY first acts of the Revolution was to disinter his body and burn it and scatter it to the winds.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by AlexP »

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2005, 11:49:50 PM »
Oh, surely the removal of that is merely legendary! The one shown in a museum is apparantly not even human.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2005, 09:23:08 AM »
Kerensky ordered R. to be disinterred and brought to Petersbourg. He ordered it then to be taken elsewhere to be reburied. On the way, just outside of TS, a group of locals stopped the cart and discovered it was R's body, the soldiers and students then took the body into the forest, doused it with gasoline and burned it totally and did indeed scatter the ashes to the winds.

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2005, 03:19:34 PM »
AlexP come back.....tell us more and more and more.  I can't get enough details in life and you seem to know so many.

I think Georgiy was talking about his penis, the one purported to be in the Museum in Moscow.  As opposed to the one the little old ladies of Paris have in a velvet box, that Maria Rasputin told us all about in her last book.  

At any rate this was all discussed in several other forums, but do you know anything you could add Alex??

..Arleen

AlexP

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2005, 12:03:47 AM »
There are no photos of Rasputin's funeral. It was a very small funeral, attended only by the Imperial Family themselves, Rasputin's family, A.A. Vyroubova, and a few close friends. (according to Spiridovitch in his biography of Rasputin).

Dear Rob,

One of those in attedance was Rapustine's "kelenitza" or "pashlutnitsa" who titled herself a Nun, even though she was wasn't.

And yes, there were photographs, I do not know why Spiridovitch passed this over in silence.  I was not aware that Spiridovitch had even attended this funeral.

There were a set of three cliches, I believe.  I have seen them.  And I will describe one to you :

The one I most vividly remember shows The Empress and the Grand Duchesses (without Alexei) standing to the right of the open plot in which Rasputin was to be buried.  The coffin had obviously already been lowered. The Empress was wearing mourning black, but I was surprised that her mourning veil was so relatively short.  The Grand Duchesses were also in mourning wear but winter-coat style.

Alexandra's veil had been lifted off of face, as it was religious ceremony, as pulled back over the hat, just a little.  She looked terrible -- she had the darkest circles under her eyes that I have ever seen in any picture of her.  The young Grand Duchesses looked less convulsed. To the right of Alexandra, stood the Emperor, looking haggard but not fatally-so, wearing a very simply full-length coat, Russian-military style. Vyrubova was NOT in the picture.

I remember that the snow in the picture was not particularly deep for that time of year, and surely was less .90 cm.

I think that when I was in Paris, a part of the emigration, we all saw this picture.  Everyone saw this picture, I think.  But then who knows, I could be confusing this with another funeral.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by AlexP »

Offline Dominic_Albanese

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2005, 08:51:08 AM »
Alex - you mention pictures taken at Rasputin's funeral.  Do you have them or know where we might find them?  

best,
dca

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2005, 07:39:37 PM »
Alex, as I reread what you wrote, the hair on the back of my neck stood up.....you write as if you were there.

Please tell us more about the picture you saw in Paris....was it a snapshot from someones box camera.....Anna always carried hers....or was it something more professional like from the Palace photographer?

Also since you lived among the exiles in Paris....what do you know about the stories Marie Rasputin put in her book about Rasputin's penis being severed and some little old ladies of Paris keeping guard on it.

..Arleen

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Arleen_Ristau »