Author Topic: More new books on the Russian Imperial Guard  (Read 2491 times)

Offline Coldstream

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
More new books on the Russian Imperial Guard
« on: February 14, 2005, 12:26:31 PM »
Several new books have come out of Russia dealing with the Imperial Guard regiments which are profusely illustrated in color and period photographs.  They can be obtained from Atlantic Crossroads (CollectRussia.com).  Go to their main menu and scroll down to Books and Reference.  Click on it and scan the offerings on Imperial Russia.

The new books are:

Military Capital of the Russian Empire in Photographs of Late XIX-Early XX C" - Russian text but full of excellent photos of Imperial Guard units and personalities in and around St. Petersburg.  Most of the photos were taken by the famous photographer Bulla.
There is an English entry for each photo at the end of the book. 237 pages.

Three Centuries of Russian Imperial Guard.  For Faith and Loyalty. - Catalogue of winter 2001/2002 exhibition at the Winter Palace (Hermitage).  271 pages in color.  Russian text.

Regimental histories of the Chevalier Guards, Life Guard Hussars and the Preobrazhenski Regiment. - Russian text, but illustrated in color.

Atlantic Crossroads also carry other coffee table books on Russian antiques, badges, swords, heraldry, and the Imperial Family.  Bon Appetit!!

Coldstream

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
Re: More new books on the Russian Imperial Guard
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 07:37:50 PM »
A new bookstore to venture through. WOW ;D Thanks Coldstream.

I actually purchased a large book in SPb on the Chevalier Guards by A. Bondarenko recently. It contains historic notes, biographies and memoirs such as accounts by Count A. Ignatiev and Count S. Sheremetyev. The book is richly illustrated and is presented in the red and white colors of the Chevalier Guards with delicate gold leaf.  My copy was published in Moscow in 1997 by the War Minsitry.  :D

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Yoyo

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 07:00:02 PM »
Thanks Coldstream for the info, though it might cause me to end up at the poorhouse  ;).

I have never bought books at that site before so I was wondering if all the books are in Russian. I might buy them anyway for the pictures, but it would be nice to be able to understand something. And are the books worth the investment if you can only watch the pictures, and not read anything?
Yoyo
"That's no reason to go ripping people's heads off, boy"
Mr. Krabbs to Spongebob Squarepants

Offline Coldstream

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 12:29:36 PM »
Yoyo, most of the books listed at the Atlantic Crossroads site are in Russian although a small number are in English.  some have Russian text but English captions for the photos or illustrations.  As far as the books on uniforms and related militaria go, there are books available in English that can be used to supplement the books with Russian text.  Some of these books, such as Mollo's "Uniforms of the Imperial Russian Army," are now out of print but might still be obtained from outlets such as Barnes & Noble that sell out of print books.  I have a very extensive library of books and prints dealing with military uniforms, so books with photographs, but Russian text, pose no real problem for me.  I am delighted to see the photographs which, for the most part, make a book worth the cost.

If you can find a copy of Gerard Gorokhoff's "Russian Imperial Guard," you will have a nice foundation for identifying other photographs and prints of Russian Guard Regiments ca. 1881-1914.  The new edition is in Russian and ENGLISH, and is full of photographs depicting the regiments of the Imperial Guard.  An older edition was in French.  The book is carried by an English dealer at Landmark Books (landmarkmilitarybooks.com).  Click on Imperial & WWI and scan the list.  You ought to find it there.  I believe he sells it for 50 pounds sterling.  You will also find a number of books dealing with the uniforms of the pre-1914 German and British armies as well.

Offline Yoyo

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 07:19:03 PM »
Thanks for the info, Coldstream
Yoyo
"That's no reason to go ripping people's heads off, boy"
Mr. Krabbs to Spongebob Squarepants