Author Topic: Margarita Sergeevna Khitrovo, "Rita" (1895-1952)  (Read 57760 times)

Offline Yoyo

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: Margarita Sergeevna Khitrovo, "Rita" (1895-1952)
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2005, 03:45:28 PM »
I am dying to know what the text is saying. Can someone please translate it for us who do not speak Russian? Thanks ;D
"That's no reason to go ripping people's heads off, boy"
Mr. Krabbs to Spongebob Squarepants

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2005, 02:52:14 PM »
I second Yoyo's request. If someone could translate the recollection of a conversation in which GD Olga agrees with Rita on the subject of love, I know Yoyo and I--along with a lot of other AP visitors--would be very, very grateful!

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2005, 11:16:24 PM »
"I think that love needs to be sincere and good-feeling, but without mutual respect true love is unthinkable." -- that's what Olga said. :)

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2005, 01:36:33 PM »
Lanie, thank you. And through your translation we receive yet another confirmation that Olga was a mature and thoughtful young woman who, despite her limited experience, was wise beyond her years!

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2005, 03:25:52 PM »
I found it a wonderful quote too, Janet!  It's refreshing since people often say how immature the girls were... and what a mature, wise, thoughtful statement indeed that was by Olga.  Rita, on he other hand, was being exciteable and blushing (so was Olga) about the conversation turning to love... that's what I remember it saying, anyway, someone correct me if I'm wrong!

I translated it through AltaVista's awful Babelfish and Dasha here on the Forums translated it much better, but I generally got the same result. :)  

Val289

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2005, 03:39:18 PM »
Thank you Joanna and Lanie for the article and translation.  :)   Yet another thoughtful quote from Olga which shows a maturity that a lot of people don't always speak of when talking about Olga or her sisters.  

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2005, 06:36:17 PM »
I'm curious about the circumstances under which the statement was made. Sounds like there was a third party present when Rita and Olga were having this conversation?

Offline matushka

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2005, 02:31:45 PM »
Yes, it was a conversation between the wounded of the lazaret and Margarita Sergeevna. Olga just listened. They ask her what she think about this important question.

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2005, 10:55:04 AM »
I was going to start a thread on Margarita, and then I found this. I liked reading what everybody posted, and it enlarges my view of Both Grand Duchess Olga, and Margarita, and their friendship. She was, I  am sure haunted by what happened to the Romanovs, and I wonder about much she thought of them in later life. I am sure she had regrets, but also happy memories of the times when she was with Olga. I am sure she had her regrets, but its good that she carved a life for herself out in exile.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2009, 11:18:06 AM »
Pages 70-74 of Ispoved' Tsareubiits appear to be a discussion of Margarita Khitrovo's arrival and subsequent deportation from Tobolsk in August of 1917. Unfortunately, my Russian is not good enough to attempt such a lengthy translation. If any Russian speakers are interested in attempting to translate and/or summarize the relevant passage, please PM me.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2009, 07:57:04 PM »
I just found this thread and I'm astonished beyond words to learn Ritka Khitrovo went to Tobolsk!?? to see Olga. Are you kidding me? That is amazing. It sounds like some fantastic novel.  How could she even get all that way undetected? .....and then waltz in? What guts! That's taking friendship to another level! It's  just too bad after all that she couldn't see Olga and the deliver the letters for the IF, and indeed, caused them a security clap down. I wonder if she knew that, because that would have distressed her no end I'm sure . 

But Ritka was lucky it happened when the goverment still cared if you were innocent or not...later they would have saved themsleves the trouble of sending her back and  just shoot her. ( like so many others) And though it probably didn't seem so to Ritka at the time, they did  her a favor by sending her away....saved her life.

Amazing. As far as I knew she was just  the lady in waiting/  friend  of Olga's on the beach.

I wish she left her story. But perhaps it was all  too painful.

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2009, 08:10:50 PM »
My rough translation:

Rita - Khitrovo Margarita Sergeevna. (1895-1952), lady-in waiting, sister of mercy of the Tsarskoe Selo Palace infirmary, followed the royal family to Tobolsk. On the personal order of Kerensky arrested (22.8.1917) and taken under guard to Moscow. Corresponded with the royal family during their exile. In emigration married VG Erdelyi. Died in New York.

---------------------------------

"The Empress was afraid of bad influence of courtiers and ladies do not even like it when her children to met with a cousin Irina Alexandrovna" - Anna Vyrubova. "Grand Duchesses rarely interacted with other children," - writes Sophie Buxhoweden. The exception was maid of honor only empress, age was between her and the princess, and one of them, Margaret Khitrovo, Olga was the same age.

Rita Khitrovo ,maid of honor, was a friend of Olga and Tatiana - eldest daughters of the Emperor, and was opened in correspondence with Alexandra during reference of the Imperial family to Tobolsk. Rita, in addition to the courage and other fine qualities, inherited from an old noble family, had a violent imagination and the natural artistry, backed up by youth.

-------------------

This merits a firework was irresistible in the eyes and hearts of the royal children: "Baby has very fun time in the" small house "with Irina Tolstoy and Rita Khitrovo - they played together" (Letter of the Empress from 24.Aug.1915 ), "I asked to invite Rita, Shahbegova, Kiknadze and Demenkova for children to spend pleasant evening, as they are today in the hospital and would be bored without my friends ... "(Letter of the Empress from 14 Nov.1915.)

Kindly loaned from here:

http://www.ippo.ru/novosti-2009-g./relikvii-priblizhennogo-k-tsarskoy-semje-roda-hitrovo-vernulisj-v-rossiyu-s-videofaylom.html

We found out video with a rare 1916 Olga formal photo there, posted by Ally . *Woohooo*.

Pages 70-74 of Ispoved' Tsareubiits appear to be a discussion of Margarita Khitrovo's arrival and subsequent deportation from Tobolsk in August of 1917. Unfortunately, my Russian is not good enough to attempt such a lengthy translation. If any Russian speakers are interested in attempting to translate and/or summarize the relevant passage, please PM me.

EDIT : Referring to Sarushka, you can find detailed story about her arrival at Tobolsk here (use online translator, it is in Russian):
http://www.tzar-nikolai.orthodoxy.ru/n2/pism/5_1.htm , named as -- 'О приезде в Тобольск М. С. Хитрово'. ;  'About M.S. Khitrovo's arrival at Tobolsk'.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 08:32:22 PM by nena »
-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2009, 08:11:38 PM »
wow! Thanks for the link! It translated into the following.
Also I saw the 1916 Olga formal portrait in that Russian news report!
Great! stuff

The fact that Ritka followed them  less than two weeks after the family , explains a good bit  why the rule of law still applied.
Much later and I doubt she would have gotten back to Moscow and eventually released. She was a brave young woman
and a true friend.

On arrival in Tobolsk MS Khitrovo

Against the backdrop of revolution, which the Emperor so rightly condemned by the words "terms of treason, and cowardice, and deceit, a young gentlewoman Margaret S. - or, as it called for short. "Rita" - Khitrovo add your name on a glorious page of history by showing an example of boundless loyalty to the royal family, dedication, bravery and courage.

During the war she worked with August sister of Mercy in Her Majesty's own hospital in Tsarskoe Selo, and over the years especially close with his peers Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna. Less than two weeks after the departure of the royal family, as she went on a journey, taking with him a letter for the transfer of Their Majesties, August for the children and suites. She was going to somehow, at least fleetingly, to see the royal family, cherishing the hope of being anything useful or her, at least, to share with royal prisoners of fallen to their share of trials. This trip through the rebellious Russia, unbridled soldiery in crowded trains represent major risk for the defenseless young traveler and was in itself a feat.

Travel went well, and on August 18 MS Khitrovo reached their destination. "Having arrived in Tobolsk, - says T. Botkin, - she instantly went into the house, which housed the retinue, and came upon a gr. Gendrikova, which held her in his room. Then there is my father came, and they were talking quietly, when Kobylinskii came and announced that he was obliged to arrest Khitrovo. " This was done under the personal order of Kerensky, who received a denunciation of the alleged contemplated the release of the Royal Family, made haste to send to the prosecutor of the Tobolsk District Court for an urgent telegram (1) with the following requirements: "The exclusive special attention to the arrival of Margaret Sergeyevna Khitrova, young secular girls that immediately on the ship arrested, searched, take all the letters. Passports and printed works, all the things that do not constitute personal baggage road ... immediately under heavy guard to deliver to Moscow prokulatu (ie, the prosecutor of the Chamber )..." (Sokolov, p. 23). The order was strictly implemented, and the imaginary zagovorschitsa was the same day sent from Tobolsk.

August 18 the Emperor wrote in his diary: "In the morning on the street appeared Khitrovo Rita, who had come from Petrograd, and visited Nastenka Gendrikova. That was enough for the evening at her (Gendrikova) carried out a search." The next day, August 19, he added: "Due to yesterday's incident Nastenka denied the right to walk the streets for several days, and poor Rita was supposed to go back to the night-boat."

In newspapers around the trip was raised by an incredible noise, a long time does not stop, and the revolutionary government has long loomed the specter of the monarchist conspiracy, made to the liberation of the Royal Family.

Thus ended an unsuccessful attempt of a heroic Russian girl to join her fate with the fate of a martyr beloved Royal Family.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2009, 09:53:19 PM »
As a PS there is a note that  follows the report on Ritka's trip  that says

Information about the monarchist plot was obtained from one of the officials of Public Prosecutions. Chance on the train, he overheard a conversation between two ehavshimi (?)with him in the same compartment, the passenger, one of which was L. Khitrovo, mother Margaret Sergeyevna. She spoke of the exile of the royal family, an attempt to free the prisoners of the Royal, the daughter on a trip to Tobolsk, and so on passage was enough to make zealous official might concoct a denunciation, which was submitted to the authorities. Moving up the hierarchical ladder, the denunciation rose to hyperbolic dimensions and as such had reached the Prime Minister, "causing panic among him and his entourage, resulting in Tobolsk, and was sent a telegram unhappy over his signature.

So what I get from this is Ritka's mother was over heard talking about Ritka's trip and attempts to free the family?? Ritka
was lucky to get out of that whole thing alive.

anyway , sorry if this is old news... here is the web link

http://www.tzar-nikolai.orthodoxy.ru/n2/pism/5_1.htm#2

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline RHB

• Boyar
  • Four Sisters Always Remembered
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2011, 12:54:32 AM »
Does anyone know her height, she seems even taller than Tatiana!
<-- GDAndrea

Live and Die together!