Author Topic: Princess Anne, born Bowes-Lyon  (Read 16197 times)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Princess Anne, born Bowes-Lyon
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2006, 01:16:47 AM »
Interesting !

I wonder if there is a book or artcles about Princess George of Denmark (Anne Bowes-Lyon)'s life in England or Denmark ?  ;)

Offline viv rosendahl

• east,west, home is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2006, 03:17:52 PM »
Interesting !

I wonder if there is a book or artcles about Princess George of Denmark (Anne Bowes-Lyon)'s life in England or Denmark ?  ;)

AFAIK, no books, but possibly articles in older Danish publications. Prince and Princess George
were living in London, where he was a military attaché at the Royal Danish embassy. They usually
attended the big RF events in Denmark, but apart from that, they were on the Danish royal
fringe, so to speak.

Viv

Offline viv rosendahl

• east,west, home is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 12:00:45 AM »
Whether it is true or not, a story is that George VI sent a memo to the King of Denmark stating something to the effect of "If a Bowes-Lyon is good enough for me, it should be good enough for one of your minor princes."

Regardless of the veracity of the above, it would have been an insult to Queen Elizabeth to give her niece's marriage a morganatic status.

I suspect that this is a royal urban legend! I have seen it somewhere on the internet, but never on
print. I very much doubt that king Frederik and especially the BRF related Queen Ingrid would
have allowed the title of prince George to become an issue between the DRF and BRF.
Firstly, Queen Ingrid was too smart to let it happen, secondly, she enjoyed a good
relationship with Queen Elizabeth (the Queen Mother), who, BTW was a god parent of
Princess Benedikte (b.1944, the second daugther of King Frederik and Queen Ingrid).      

Regards
Viv