Author Topic: George 2nd Marquess of Milford Haven (Battenberg) and Nadejda (Nada) de Torby  (Read 117184 times)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page

(I'll try to find a larger one):
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by grandduchessella »
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Nada seems to have looked alot like Tatiana. Does anyone have a pic of her (Tatiana) as a young women? I have seen a few of her as a child but cant remember any of her as an adult.

There are some great ones in one of Robert Golden's books (or maybe both--I don't have them in front of me)--Relatively Royal and Golden Book of Royalty (both 2 thumbs up!).

Offline felix

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
The fashion of the 20's wasnt very flattering. She has the Russian good looks. I wonder if Anastasia was as good looking as Nada ?

Offline PrinceEddy1864

• Knyaz
  • lovely louise.
    • View Profile
The fashion of the 20's wasnt very flattering. She has the Russian good looks. I wonder if Anastasia was as good looking as Nada ?

Oh I love 20s fashion. And anything else from that  decade. It is my favorite time period of American History.

ella, those two Golden books are on my get list. I really want them.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by PrinceEddy1864 »
from the top of the ocean to the bottom of the sky.
albert victor christian edward.

Offline felix

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
The dresses seem so boxy, may just be  a male thing. And I never saw them inperson,and that makes a big difference. The evening dresses were nice. I have no idea what I'am talking about with fashion. So please forgive me!

Mgmstl

George & Nada Milford Haven were supposedly prevented by Buckingham Palace from going to America to help Gloria Vanderbilt in her trial, however I believe Prince Phillip's sister, Margarita of Hohenloe-Langenburg & her husband, who was Mrs Vanderbilts ex-fiancee, did testify in Gloira's behalf at the trial.  

I remember reading about a bill for a tub of champagne for several thousand dollars that was used to soak the tired feet of the Marchioness of Milford Haven.  I suspect
George & Nada did live the fast life....

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
The book on Gloria Vanderbilt Jr--Little Gloria Happy at Last has a really good section all about her mother's swinging life in England. I know there's info in there about Gottfried of Hohenlohe-Langenberg amongst others. It's also somewhat documented in the miniseries if I remember right--it's been a long time since I saw it.

and I hope he tries to write a fe more books like these two.

Arturo Beéche

You're not the only one! I love that his books focused on the less-covered royals. Great, great, great
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by grandduchessella »

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
Absolutely, just to add my voice to the chorus of praise - his books are wonderful.  Great pictures and concise information.
Felix, Check out the Maud of Norway's wardrobe thread for some great 20's fashion.  Those dresses have to be seen to be believed.  Very much an extreme reaction to the curvy, overly feminine fashions of the early decades of the 20th century, 20's dresses are simple in cut (hopeless for anyone with a feminine figure, ie most of the female population) but rely heavily on the use of pattern and beading for their interest......You might find that these styles appeal after all.......
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Martyn »
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline QueenEna1887

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Wasn't Nadeja a descendant of a Romanov Grand Duchess?

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
A Grand Duke. Her father was GD Michael M. (Miche-Miche)who married morganatically and lived most of his adult life in England. He was brother to Sandro (Xenia's husband), George & Serge (killed by the Bolsheviks) and Anastasia who was the mother of Crown Princess Cecile of Germany and Queen Alexandrine of Denmark.

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
Wasn't Nadeja a descendant of a Romanov Grand Duchess?

Yes, Nada was the younger daughter of Grand Duke Michael Mikhailovitch and Countess Sophie von Merenberg, the morganatic daughter of Prince Nikolaus of Nassau.   Michael and Sophie fell in love and married with family approval.  The news of their marriage may have been one of the causes of the death of his mother Olga.  
But it was a successful, happy marriage, one son, known as Boy (a degenerate) and two daughters, Anastasia and Nada.  The family moved among the highest of social circles in Cannes and in England.  
This marriage saved MIchael's life.  But after the revolution, Michael's cash flow largely ceased, and the burden fell on Zia to marry well.  Nada had already married PRince George of Battenberg.  

Zia was the sensible one, although imperious to the ninth degree.  She was a leader in society, and she and her husband, the very rich Sir Harald Wernher, were also leaders in the horse racing set.  Their only son Alex was a close friend of Prince Philip who was also friends with their two daughters, Gina and Myra, who were childhood friends of the queen and Margaret.

Nada was the one with loose morals - and not a care in the world. After her husband's death - she tended to spend more time in Cannes - and left the care of her daughter, Tatiana, to Zia.    Tatiana was severely retarded.

I call the marriage of Michael and Sophie - A Grand Alliance because their descendants have made rather good and decent marriages - two of Zia's granddaughters are married to Dukes - Abercorn and Westminster.   You can read further about the family in a book called Grand Dukes and Diamonds  as well as my booklet, A Grand Alliance.
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline QueenEna1887

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
I was studying about Nada's family the Count de Torby's. I'm researching her brother does anyone have any photos of the Count de Torby family, from childhood to adulthood.

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile

I call the marriage of Michael and Sophie - A Grand Alliance because their descendants have made rather good and decent marriages - two of Zia's granddaughters are married to Dukes - Abercorn and Westminster.   You can read further about the family in a book called Grand Dukes and Diamonds  as well as my booklet, A Grand Alliance.

Marlene,

How old is "Tally" Westminster?

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile

But it was a successful, happy marriage, one son, known as Boy (a degenerate) and two daughters, Anastasia and Nada.  

The burden fell on Zia to marry well.  Nada had already married PRince George of Battenberg.  

Is Anastasia and Zia the same person.  I lost track of something here.

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
    • Queen Victoria's Granddaughters
Marlene, I know very, very little about Boy, but I thought his problems were mental and emotional?  Was he just a ne'er do well??  
So long and thanks for all the fish