Author Topic: Your personal opinion on Felix Yusupov  (Read 42806 times)

Alixz

Re: Your personal opinion on Felix Yusupov
« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2007, 02:58:22 PM »
I had no opinion of Felix before I read "Lost Splendor.

After I read it, I saw him as vain, empty headed and morally bankrupt.

The man had more money than the tsar and yet gave no thought to anyone but himself.  I know he worked briefly with Ella in Moscow, but that is at odds with everything else that he did with his life.

I totally dislike those who slide through life thinking themselves just slightly above everyone else and the laws that govern everyone else.

That is how I see Felix.  He was superficial in his tastes and his views on life and death.

I would not have liked being around him.  I don't know how he managed to graduate from Oxford as his memoirs seem to show him doing more partying than studying. 

Had he been in power, I would have taken part in a revolution to oust him.  His words in Lost Splendor have that "let them eat cake" attitude that is so often incorrectly attributed to Marie Antoinette of France.

But then, my Puritan ancestors have passed down to me a very hard road to follow.  So I am probably in the minority.  Those ancestors were such joyless souls. IMHO

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 06, 2007, 12:04:21 AM »
Felix may well have been all those and more, Alixz. His words do sort of speak for himslef, in a way. Yet, he was also generous, kind and forgiving as well.  I see him as a "larger than life" personality" craving attention and willing to pay for it.  Not very much unlike  current celebs, do you think ?
Yes, he was self-absorbed, but that was the way he was raised, after all. He had servanty to do evrything for him, he knew no other way,. His education, even though Oxford was privilaged.  The Windsor boys were no better at all.
 Now-a-days, the filthy rich are encouraged to at least try to look "as one' with their fellow man, rarely suceeding, imo. He was not expected to, was he?
 Felix had style, flair and survival tactics at his hand.  He used these talents, for better or worse, to benefit his own and his legacy. I still do not see him as a ploitical entity, nor even as an assasin. A player, but not a star in the actions taken place. Perhaps much the "supporting actor" shinng the spotilight on hiself"?
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Alixz

« Reply #107 on: March 06, 2007, 12:13:18 AM »
Robert,

I see your point.

But I also see Felix as I see some co-workers I have known.  "Cute" and 'Style" get them in the door, but it can't and never does support them in the long run.

Felix may have had style and panache, but in the end he had nothing more than any other exile.  So he did "dine out" on the story of Rasputin and made a lot of money from suing MGM and writing lots of books.  He had intelligence, but to me it was a weasel's intelligence.

I just know that he would have annoyed me had I met him at a dinner party or God forbid had to sit next to him at table.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2007, 12:27:18 AM »
Oh, I think Felix  would have charmed you into his circle of adoring fans in no time.  He used the talents he had.
 I have a friend, a nasty, bitchy queen who makes  the ugliest room absolutely gorgeous. With flowers, fabrics and anything else he can get his hands on. He can kiiss your hand while re-arranging your hair at the same time.
Make you feel and look fab in just a few words. Totally shallow. It works. He gets paid to do it.
 Felix was born to do that sort of stuff. He was good at it. When he had to, he made a living out of it.
 I would have loved watching. Maybe even have bought him a gin.

Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline scarlett_riviera

• Boyar
  • Spear Britney!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 06, 2007, 02:00:54 AM »
Oh, I think Felix  would have charmed you into his circle of adoring fans in no time.  He used the talents he had.
--
I had the same impression after reading Lost Splendour. I also have a friend like him- spoiled, vain, and utterly fabulous, and he can win you over no matter how hard you try to hate him. He may have a lot of flaws, but he also has many good qualities to redeem him. Maybe Felix was the same way? We know that he was extremely vain, shallow, and at times, coldhearted. He even participated in a brutal murder, and had the nerve to brag about it. But he was also very generous, witty and determined- not that any of it excuses his crime. But throughout his life, he helped those who were in need, tried to keep his family together despite the odds, and defended his wife's honor (and getting a handsome reward for it!). It's because of these things and a few more, that I like him. :D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 02:05:55 AM by scarlett_riviera »

In memory of Grand Duke Dimitri! The man had style.

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Formerly Lancashireladandre & Morecambrian
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 06, 2007, 06:38:52 AM »
Yes I think Felix was fascinating,exasperating & charismatic...

Offline lori_c

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2007, 08:47:58 AM »
If there is one redeeming quality about him, IMO it was Felix's love for Irina and his ability to sustain that love and mutual respect and understanding (with help from Irina of course!) all their lives.  That aspect of Felix is something I find redeeming.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2007, 09:09:32 AM »
Personally, Felix reminds me of someone I used to know years ago. A wealthy English actor (nobody hugely famous so don't ask, I wont tell anyway) who was the most charming, charismatic, flamboyant, obnoxious, dishonest, loveable, loathsome person I ever knew.  His nickname amongst us, tho rarely to his face, was "Grand Duchess Euthanasia".  He could charm a room full of people, everyone thought he was their best friend, as just as easily offend everyone at the same time, and he would nick the silverware off the dinnertable on his way out the door after dining out on his legendary and highly entertaining and often true stories.

He rode a motorcycle through the front door of a huge mansion, dressed in full Scottish Kilt regalia, right into the dining room of his host during a black tie event.  He presented and served a table full of society matrons and wealthy businessmen a roast turkey, stuffed and shaped like a man's ummmm, privates...I wont' even describe his living room, other than it had fabulous antiques amongst other things. He could also be the most generous of people, giving the cash in his wallet to a hungry homeless woman, and donated a fortune anonymously to charity.

I think of him when I think of Felix.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 09:11:16 AM by Forum Admin »

Offline lori_c

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 06, 2007, 09:18:23 AM »
I love the "Grand Duchess Euthanasia" nickname.  :D
It reminds me of Grand Duchess Anesthesia that is a nickname of somebody I know,  who is not quite as wonderful, but awfully deserving of the nickname.

Offline Reco

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 06, 2007, 08:59:03 PM »

A book written by Edvard Radzinsky published in 2001 (in French) claims that it is the GD Dimitri which drew on Raspoutine. Raspoutine died, not because of the balls or the poison but drowned.

Offline lori_c

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2007, 08:32:45 AM »
As I have often learned on this site, things writted by Radzinsky sometimes have to be taken with a grain of salt. 
But I also have read that water was found in Rasputin's lungs.  Though pictures of the body seem to discount this.  There is a bullet hole directly in his forehead.

Offline Reco

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 07, 2007, 07:18:38 PM »
It writes a ball in the nape of the neck.

I do not know if one can survive long enough this kind of impact.

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 08, 2007, 03:00:36 AM »
As I have often learned on this site, things writted by Radzinsky sometimes have to be taken with a grain of salt. 
But I also have read that water was found in Rasputin's lungs.  Though pictures of the body seem to discount this.  There is a bullet hole directly in his forehead.

The series of photographs of Rasputin's corpse only tell half the story about the manner of his death. His body was thawed and washed prior to the autopsy.

The lungs did indeed contain "some" fluid. But this fact alone is not necessarily attributable to drowning. Other pathology will help determine that possiblility.

There is certainly a contact wound on the forehead.

But let us return to Felix - one of the most detestable individuals who managed to survive to tell a few tales.

Margarita
  :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 03:02:38 AM by Belochka »

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline ALEXEI_P

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 08, 2007, 11:16:59 PM »
I can't say that I liked him, but I would have liked very much to have known him.  He did make a remarkable impression on anyone meeting or speaking with him--even in passing.  He was utterly distinct---clearly of another time and place.

On my brief meeting with him as a young boy I was fascinated by him.  He certainly gave the impression that HE WAS SOMEONE, albeit a grotesque characature of his former self.  He was very gracious and friendly in a formal courtly manner.  I've told of this encounter elswere on the forum, but I still can see that age spotted, heavily made up Lon Chaney-esque face, yellow teeth, polished nails and the smell of lavender whenever I think about him or hear his name mentioned.

Alexei

Offline scarlett_riviera

• Boyar
  • Spear Britney!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2007, 01:21:04 AM »
Yellow teeth! But how lucky you were able to meet him. Did he truly wear that much make-up when he was old? I saw somewhere on this forum that he applied such a thick layer of make-up that it cracked when he smiled. I'm not sure if that's a rumour or another funny Felix tale! lol

In memory of Grand Duke Dimitri! The man had style.