Author Topic: Your personal opinion on Felix Yusupov  (Read 42801 times)

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Your personal opinion on Felix Yusupov
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2007, 08:18:34 AM »
He is the epitome of the corruption of the last years of the Romanovs. He probably had something quite sinister to do with the death of his older brother. He does nothing with his wealth except to lead a hedonistic existence in the demi-underworld of the time. He marries without love. And he then violates the laws of hospitality by inviting a man into his home with the intent to murder him. If we can believe his story, which is a big IF, then he then becomes a cowardly assassin by shooting the man in the back. When he bends to examine the man's body and it shows signs of life, he flees in terror, screaming like a teenage girl as far as he can. Then, he does nothing with his life but live off the story which he embelishes and re-invents on each occassion. He breaks his promise to his fellow conspirators. He spends the rest of his life feeding off this one moment in time.
If he hadn't been involved in the Rasputin murder none of us today would probably have ever heard of him or know who he was. He had his 15 minutes of fame and then made the most of it by milking it for all he could get.

Do you feel he milked it? I know he wrote his memoirs. However he had more than his 15 minutes of fame. He was already famous, being the husband of the Tsars only neice and coming from one of the wealthiest families in Russia!

:)
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Formerly Lancashireladandre & Morecambrian
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2007, 08:54:29 AM »
He is the epitome of the corruption of the last years of the Romanovs. He probably had something quite sinister to do with the death of his older brother. He does nothing with his wealth except to lead a hedonistic existence in the demi-underworld of the time. He marries without love. And he then violates the laws of hospitality by inviting a man into his home with the intent to murder him. If we can believe his story, which is a big IF, then he then becomes a cowardly assassin by shooting the man in the back. When he bends to examine the man's body and it shows signs of life, he flees in terror, screaming like a teenage girl as far as he can. Then, he does nothing with his life but live off the story which he embelishes and re-invents on each occassion. He breaks his promise to his fellow conspirators. He spends the rest of his life feeding off this one moment in time.
If he hadn't been involved in the Rasputin murder none of us today would probably have ever heard of him or know who he was. He had his 15 minutes of fame and then made the most of it by milking it for all he could get.
Felix did make a meal out of the murder....no doubt about it...but like him or hate him...he was always interesting even when he was exasperating !!!!

Do you feel he milked it? I know he wrote his memoirs. However he had more than his 15 minutes of fame. He was already famous, being the husband of the Tsars only neice and coming from one of the wealthiest families in Russia!

Offline lori_c

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2007, 12:31:32 PM »

Kudos to you both! ;)

Offline Johnny

• Graf
  • Never mind!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2007, 04:52:34 PM »
James,
Felix was not corrupt whatsoever, unless by corruption you mean his habit of crossdressing, sleeping with men and wild partying. But that would all be moralistic trash. I have no problems with drag queens and eccentric people. I actually find them very interesting, and there's no reason to believe they are any worse than the general population. In many ways Rasputin, Sergey, and many officials were much more corrupt than this sensitive, artistic and kindhearted man. And you call Felix the epitome of corruption ??? Felix certainly had nothing to do with his brother's death. I don't know where you got all that from? He did love his wife in his own way, the same way she loved him in her own way. They never left each other, did they? The only mistake that he made about killing Rasputin was that he didn't do it sooner. Rasputin might look in retrospect innocent to some, but at the time he didn't to him. Rasputin himself probably didn't think he was doing anything wrong, but he definitely had to be removed because of the damage he was causing the monarchy. And what do you mean "he then violates the laws of hospitality"? You must be kidding! Felix didn't exactly live in the middle ages. He was of the exact same generation as my grandmother's. This ain't ancient history. They are relatively recent events. He was certainly a modern man. If he was brave enough he should have eliminated Alexandra as well. That might have saved the monarchy. >:(
And even without killing Rasputin Felix would have been famous. His portrait done by Serov is one of the greatest paintings ever done. And he was already famous as a teenager because of that. I knew and admired the painting long before I learned about Felix. He was world famous for his good looks, like any good-looking prince would be today. In exile he was kind to others, helped other emigrants, had great taste in art and clothing and for years had his own line of clothing and worked in his own shop, basically earned his living. He just wrote his memoirs and that was it. He used a bit of imagination there, but given the circumstances, his own reasons and also biography writing standards of the time he didn't do anything inexplicable. If anyone or anything is to blame, it would be the media which milked the story. He was a celebrity after all!
Татьяна: Кто ты - мой ангел ли хранитель?

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2007, 05:00:33 PM »
Well said, Johnny. Pretty much my view of him as well.
 And "Rasputin innocent"?   Perhaps not tried in a court and proven guilty of any crimes, but hardly "innocent".
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2007, 05:53:54 PM »
Well said, Johnny. Pretty much my view of him as well.
 And "Rasputin innocent"?   Perhaps not tried in a court and proven guilty of any crimes, but hardly "innocent".

Rasputin did not murder anyone, but Felix took great pride in the fact that he was directly involved in the death of a human being. He deserves nothing but contempt.

He was an insignificant figure in Imperial Russia whose "patriotic deed" brought him fame abroad. A factor that he relished with some vulgarity.

Margarita

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline James1941

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2007, 06:25:22 PM »
Beaten so badly that his right eye had fallen out, his right ear torn practically off his head, his body and face showing numerous blows by a blunt, flexible weapon, his genitals crushed by blunt force, his back showing a gaping wound caused by a sharp object, his nose squashed and deformed, the Cyrillic letter G scatched into his right jaw by a sword or knife, all these little details of systematic torture were details left out of his funny little book by our painted little cross dresser and homosexual hero.
Then after subjecting the man to long torture our patriotic heroes left him lying there without benefit of aid or a priest while they go off and toast their success with rounds of drinking. Then they return and and cold bloodedly execute him in gangland style by shooting in the forehead at close range. Then in true Mafia style they try to dispose of his body by throwing it into the river.
These are not the actions of heores but assassins.
Rasputin had committed no crimes. He was guilty of breaking no laws. To say he deserved to be tortured then executed without defense or hearing is not only a sin it is also morally reprehensible. And Felix bragged about his actions without any show of remorse or Christian conscience. Of course, since you see such observations as moralistic trash I assume you find nothing wrong in cold blooded murder.
Don't be too sure little Felix wasn't intimately involved in the machinations that led to the fatal duel of his brother. Suggest you do some research on that.
And yes, only  a cuthroat would invite a man in to his home with the intent to murder him, no matter what century he was living in. Being sensitive, stylish and artistic doesn't excuse his bad manners and his bloody intent.
And while hundreds of thousands of young Russian men were being forcibly drafted to fight and die in this war, or being shot for desertion simply because they wanted to go home to visit their family, our gilded lily was draft-dodging his miltary service and living his hedonistic life in Petrograd. And his wife was taking the cure in the Crimea while thousands of women not so fortunate were working long and hard hours in the war factories and then enduring more long hours standing in line to get food for their family. How many ill or weary mothers and children in the cities got to go take a rest cure in the warm Crimea after desperately trying to stay warm without sufficient fuel. No wonder the Russian people sent these parasites running.
And, yes Felix milked his story for all it was worth. It is a well known fact that he lured Rasputin to his death by enticement of a meeting with Irina. But when a movie barely hinting at this came out Irina and Felix,
on the verge of bankruptcy and desperately sinking into abject poverty saw their chance and sued for "libel"- --and not once but twice. Thus they were able to live off the settlement.
Without his connection to the murder Yusupov would have faded into deserved obscurity like most of the other exiles.

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2007, 06:25:47 PM »
The only mistake that he made about killing Rasputin was that he didn't do it sooner. Rasputin might look in retrospect innocent to some, but at the time he didn't to him. Rasputin himself probably didn't think he was doing anything wrong, but he definitely had to be removed because of the damage he was causing the monarchy ... He was certainly a modern man. If he was brave enough he should have eliminated Alexandra as well. That might have saved the monarchy. >:(

Johnny I am rather appauled with this pronouncement. Are you actually suggesting that murdering the sovereign's consort would have been justified?

How could the commission of such an act "save the monarchy"?  How many murders would it take to get the it right?

The fact that Felix was a "modern man" in his era gave him no excuse to kill, unless this was a new definition for one. Before the Church to which he adhered he voliated one its main commandments.

Felix's mistake was taking political matters into his own hands. His mistake was believing that he would save the monarchy as a gallant hero. How wrong he was. He and his co-conspirators were guilty of expediting the collapse of the monarchy!

Felix was a despicable individual who lacked the fine virtues of his noble position. Sadly it seems historians and playwrights prefer rogues.

Margarita

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2007, 06:54:23 PM »
Beaten so badly that his right eye had fallen out, his right ear torn practically off his head, his body and face showing numerous blows by a blunt, flexible weapon, his genitals crushed by blunt force, his back showing a gaping wound caused by a sharp object, his nose squashed and deformed, the Cyrillic letter G scatched into his right jaw by a sword or knife, all these little details of systematic torture were details left out of his funny little book by our painted little cross dresser and homosexual hero.

Then after subjecting the man to long torture our patriotic heroes left him lying there without benefit of aid or a priest while they go off and toast their success with rounds of drinking. Then they return and and cold bloodedly execute him in gangland style by shooting in the forehead at close range. Then in true Mafia style they try to dispose of his body by throwing it into the river.
These are not the actions of heores but assassins.

... To say he deserved to be tortured then executed without defense or hearing is not only a sin it is also morally reprehensible. And Felix bragged about his actions without any show of remorse or Christian conscience. Of course, since you see such observations as moralistic trash I assume you find nothing wrong in cold blooded murder.

... And while hundreds of thousands of young Russian men were being forcibly drafted to fight and die in this war, or being shot for desertion simply because they wanted to go home to visit their family, our gilded lily was draft-dodging his miltary service and living his hedonistic life in Petrograd.

The truth about the real Yussupov is always ignored while Rasputin is made out to be the real bad guy who was allegedly perceived to be a social menace - who hurt no one by the simplicity of his words and unsophisticated mannerisms. Yet all levels of Petrograd society had flocked in hoards to seek their selfish favors from him. 

James has amply illustrated the viscious nature of Felix that revealed itself on the night he committed pre-meditated murder. Felix was nothing but a cold blooded brutal assassin who had the good fortune to enjoy a comfortable and long existence in exile. Even there he managed to create public mischief.

One should look beyond the saccharine image portrayed by Serov and understand what Felix had become! 

Margarita

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2007, 08:24:14 PM »
What "truth" about Felix  do you think is ignored?  He was pretty frank about his life & actions.  Equally, Rasputin and his actions are fairly well well documented.  I do not see either party as particularly exemplarary, yet Felix is a lot more realistic as he survived, did he not?
"lived to tell the tale" so to speak. He made no excuses, unlike a lot of others who sputterd & frothed blamelessness, telling why their roles were so honourable.
The topic of this thread is Felix after all. Yep I like him, wish I had been able to meet him, even in old age, when he was probably at his best !
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2007, 09:45:11 PM »
What "truth" about Felix  do you think is ignored?  He was pretty frank about his life & actions.  Equally, Rasputin and his actions are fairly well well documented.  I do not see either party as particularly exemplarary, yet Felix is a lot more realistic as he survived, did he not?
"lived to tell the tale" so to speak. He made no excuses, unlike a lot of others who sputterd & frothed blamelessness, telling why their roles were so honourable.
The topic of this thread is Felix after all. Yep I like him, wish I had been able to meet him, even in old age, when he was probably at his best !

I guess it comes down to the artistic embellishments and obvious omissions in Yusupov's memoirs that relate to the crime vs. the fabricated police reports written specifically to denigrate the character of Rasputin.

Indeed Felix survived but because of dear Felix - Rasputin did not.

If I was by chance in the same room as Felix Yusupov I assure you I would have left!

Margarita
  ;)

Offline James1941

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2007, 10:02:20 PM »
He was frank about his actions only after he was safe from any retribution or punishment, and he knew it.
At the time of the sadistic murder he did everything he could to deny his participation, hiding behind the GD Dimitri's immunity and writing to the empress that he was innocent. And trying to cover up his 'patriotic" act from the police. It was only when he knew he was safe that he became so loquacious about his deeds, most of which he inflated all out of porportion to his actual involvement. Like a bad actor in a melodrama he began to chew up the scenery, painted and powdered like one also.

Offline scarlett_riviera

• Boyar
  • Spear Britney!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2007, 02:30:10 AM »
Thank God for this board I learn new things everyday. I didn't know Rasputin died a slow, painful death. I thought he was just poisoned, shot at, and thrown into a river. I will definitely have to check out the Rasputin thread. Maybe there is something wonderful about him that will make me care about the poor fellow!
I can't change my mind about Felix, however. I will never get bored of hearing about his amazing stories.  And I have to admit, whenever I see one of his portraits, the word "fabulous!" comes to mind!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 02:32:03 AM by scarlett_riviera »

In memory of Grand Duke Dimitri! The man had style.

Offline Kurt Steiner

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2007, 04:19:02 AM »
Even if I must confess that I don't like Rasputin and I admit that he carved his death, I agree completely with James about Felix. His behaviour -Felix's, of course- is not the one of a heroe at all.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2007, 05:27:29 AM »
I certainly do not "admire" Felix.  Nor do I approve of his actions.  The question here is "do we like him"?  That I do. Like I mentioned before, I would like to have met him, listened to him tell his stories, which  most likely changed with each telling. He apparently was an amusing & generous host. Amiable to all he met and certainly had an outlook on life that was unique to him. From what I have been told, his proclivities  kept people on their toes, even into old age. He also kept his own dignity, being fortunate enough to maintain a lifestyle that was admittedly not as lavish as  the pre-revolutionary days, but still had flair and vivacity.
 There was most likely a lot more he could have told about the Rasputin affair, but rather than "hide" behind Dimitri's supposed immunity, I see him him protecting the latter's reputation, in a strange sort of way, perhaps. As has been mentioned, he did not write about all this until after the circumstances had changed radically. Felix survived without having to re-invent himself. Dimitry,well, was pretty much a mess and recoiled from many offers of reconciliation and assistance. Mores the pity there.
 As for his writings.  I have read them in English & french.  I freely admit they are assisted, but are clearly his own words. As they were originally written in French, I would think that the best version to decide on their provenance. I do not see the Vyrubova  "memoir"  as anything like Felix's Having said that, I have read only the English version of her book. I was not impressed at all. Nor did I believe what "she" said.