Author Topic: PLACES CONNECTED WITH RASPUTIN  (Read 35714 times)

Offline Nomine

• View Profile
PLACES CONNECTED WITH RASPUTIN
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2007, 05:27:51 AM »
I am in St. Petersburg now. Could you advise me what places to see, I mean those connected with Grigori Rasputin. Or also places connected with some of his admirers. Please try to describe the way or suggest the address.

All advices are welcome!! Thanks in advance.
"It's better to burn out than to fade away."

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: PLACES CONNECTED WITH RASPUTIN
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2007, 02:15:14 PM »
There was a restaurant called 'The Bear'.   He visited it frequently.   It was situated on the bank of the Catherine Canal - not far from the Cathedral of the Saviour of the Spilled blood.   Additionally, his favourite 'banya' still exists.   Unfortunately I cannot give you the exact address, but it is situated close to the Mariinsky Theatre.   Rasputin visited that banya on the day he was murdered.   Of course there is Anya Vyroubova's house in Pushkin.   He did visit the Feodorovsky Sobor and his body lay there overnight before he was buried.    It is also possible to see the home at Chesme where his remains were taken for post mortem.   And you can even see the exact spot on the bridge where his body was tossed over into the Malaka Nevka.   I am trying to remember where he lived in St Petersburg before moving to Gorokovaya.   Perhaps someone else can help.

Enjoy your visit to St Petersburg.   I'm sure you will find it memorable.

tsaria

Offline rudy3

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2007, 04:22:40 PM »
Addresses, where Rasputin lived before moving to Gorokhovaja: Litejnij Prospekt 37, Nikolayevskaya (today called: Marat) Street 70, Anglijskij Prospekt 3.

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2007, 03:47:59 AM »
Rudy - you are a hero.

Thanks

tsaria

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2007, 05:11:52 AM »
There was a restaurant called 'The Bear'.   He visited it frequently.   
tsaria

There is a restaurant called "Rasputin" located on Nevskii Prospekt just beyond Ploshad Vosstaniya where the road divides into two for one way traffic. It is located almost below street level down a small flight of stairs. The sign outside is very prominent. There is live music and the food is very tasty Russian cuisine.

Also try visiting the Alexandro-Nevskaya Lavra (Monastery), which is located further along at the end of Nevskii Prospekt (walking distance). There is a Metro station opposite (Ploshad Alexandro-Nevskago). The location was Grigorii Rasputin's first stop in St. Petersburg. If anything, the two main cemeteries have fascinating permanent residents of some note, including Petr Tchaikovsky and Fedor Dostoyevsky.

Of course the "Rasputin tour" down to the basement at the Yusupov Place on Moika, 94 cannot be missed! Unfortunately the adjoining famous coutyard is fenced off (now a kindergarten or such like).

Margarita
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 05:17:36 AM by Belochka »

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline rudy3

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2007, 09:52:55 AM »
Actualy, Restaurant Rasputin is at the far end of the Nevsky Prospekt, Nr 163, almost opposite Hotel Moskva, closest metro stop Ploschad Aleksandra Nevskogo - Alexander Nevsky Square.

Offline Nomine

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2007, 05:25:10 AM »
Thank you all for your great suggestions!! It is really helpful for me.

Just one or two other things...

To Fred: At your own topic, showing the Rapsutin's flat, I asked you for some infos cocnerning entering the flat. Please, be so kind and share your experiences, it would be really helpful for me.

To All: does anyone know the name of the bridge from which Rapsutin's body was thrown down? Is there any notice or something like that marking the exact place?

As I have already said, thanks for all your answers!

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2007, 11:43:36 AM »
There is no mark on the bridge.   It is a wooden bridge which joins Krestovsky and Petrovsky Islands and bridges the Malaya Nevka.

If I remember correctly, Rasputin's flat is on the lst (Russian 2nd) floor.   The entry is from the back of the courtyard.

tsaria

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2007, 07:32:44 PM »
The Bolshoi Petrovskii Most (Bridge) over the Malaya Nevka River during Rasputin's era served two-way vehicular traffic.

In its place today there is a narrow pedestrian bridge.

Margarita

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2007, 07:46:12 PM »
There is no mark on the bridge.   It is a wooden bridge which joins Krestovsky and Petrovsky Islands and bridges the Malaya Nevka.

If I remember correctly, Rasputin's flat is on the lst (Russian 2nd) floor.   The entry is from the back of the courtyard.

tsaria

Rasputin's apartment from 1914, on Gorohovaya Ulitsa was apartment # 20.

Margarita

Offline Nomine

• View Profile
The House in Pokrovskoe
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2007, 12:55:16 AM »
Is Rasputin's house in Pokrovskoe still standing? Some books say it was pulled down during the Soviet era, in other ones it written the museum can be now found in this house. Thanks!

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: The House in Pokrovskoe
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2007, 01:20:36 AM »
The Rasputin family home in Pokrovskoye was demolished by the soviets in 1980.

Today only a black wicker chair (a wedding gift) remains as the focal exhibit in the local Rasputin museum.

Margarita

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
Re: Bridge, from which Rasputin was thrown
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2007, 04:24:20 AM »
That was a one of the wooden bridges on Kamenniy ostrov (island) aka Kamennoostrovskiy bridge.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Re: Pokrovskoe
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2007, 08:21:26 PM »
Volkov is describing the trip in August 1917 to Tobolsk.  They simply never got off the Rus until they reached Tobolsk.  I have no idea where Massie got the information that they disembarked.

I know this is an ancient thread, but I ran across it during a search today and have something to add.

Some of the imperial family did indeed disembark from the Rus in the area of Pokrovskoye in August of 1917. From the Russian edition of Alexandra's diary:

August
5 [O.S.]
Saturday
On board the vessel "Rus" on the river.

All day in bed. Around 10 got stuck in a sand bar. Stopped for three hours in order to get firewod, milk, and food for the soldiers.
Aleksei and Tatiana gathered flowers along the bank -- on the bank opposite Pokrovskoye.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
Re: The House in Pokrovskoe
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2009, 06:14:17 PM »
Here is :

-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥