Author Topic: Princess Irene of Greece (1904-1974)  (Read 115964 times)

Offline isabel

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: Princess Irene of Greece (1904-1974)
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2005, 01:23:28 AM »
Elisabeth of Roumania was absolutly against this couple (Nicholas and Irene), she thought that a third alliance between Grece and Roumania was not a good choice for Roumania, " An other greek.- they will say"

Elisabeth´s marriage, was not happy, also Carol´s marriage with Helena of Greece was a marriage of convenience. Elisabeth had not a lot of affection for the Greek Royal Family. Anyway, the project breakdown

Offline isabel

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2005, 05:20:57 AM »
In 1941, Aimone was proposed to be King of Croatia, he would be crowned as Tomislav II. But Aimone was not at all interested in this new Throne, so the projet falled through.

About 1942, when germans occuped Italy, the Duke could escape to the allied area, but Irene was trapped in german territory, ....she was arrested, this same year, Amadeo, their only son was born.

Later, Irene and little Amadeo were sent first to Sartirana, near Pavía, and then to Hirschepg in Germany, during 10 months they lived precouriously.

In May 1945, they were finally liberated. Mother and son stayed in their home in Firenze, but in 1946, the fall of the italian Monarchie obliged them to scape to Seitzerland. During this period Aimone could scape to Argentina. He died there in january 1948.

Irene continued in Switzerland, alone and widow, with a little son. Later she could finally return to Italy, where the italian Republic returned to the Aosta´s Family all their propertys.

She established herself in Villa Domenico (Fiesole), near her sister Helena, who lived in Villa Sparta. She died there in april 1974. She is buried in Arezzo, in "Il Borro" one of the Aosta´s propertys

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2005, 06:20:02 AM »
Thanks for info,Isabel!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by svetabel »

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2005, 01:00:41 PM »
Quote from: isabel  She is buried in Arezzo, in "Il Borro" one of the Aosta´s propertys[/quote

The Duke of Aosta, for financial reasons, sold Il Borro more than a decade ago to Salvatore Ferragamo
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2005, 01:20:04 PM »
The Duke of Aosta, for financial reasons, sold Il Borro more than a decade ago to Salvatore Ferragamo

The Fashion Designer Salvatore Ferragamo?

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline isabel

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2005, 02:09:38 PM »
Marlene, I didn´t know the sale of "Il Borro" to S.F., and it´s very interesting. I supose that Irene stills there...

Offline gleb

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2005, 01:54:22 PM »
Marlene, I didn´t know the sale of "Il Borro" to S.F., and it´s very interesting. I supose that Irene stills there...

It's not right, some years ago S.A.R. il Duca Amdeo d'Aosta wanted his parents to be reburied in Turin, where all the other Savoia are buried (Aosta, Genova, the Kings of Sardinia....), in the BASILICA DI SUPERGA.

Gleb

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2005, 11:52:36 AM »

The Fashion Designer Salvatore Ferragamo?

TampaBay

Yes, the shoe designer
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline QueenEna1887

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2005, 03:35:33 PM »
I read she became Queen of Croatia!!

Offline isabel

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2005, 04:24:46 AM »
No, in 1941 Aimone was proposed to be King of Croatia, but finally this proposal didn´t go on.

Anyway, either Aimone and Irene were interested in the Croatia´s crown.

Linnea

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2005, 10:26:24 AM »
Yes she was. While Princess Mafalda of Hesse (nee Savoy) was the famous internee there were quite a few royals who were rounded up. Her husband, Philipp of Hesse had already been detained and action against Mafalda was thought to have been in retaliation for her father's recent abandonment of Mussolini and Italy's withdrawal from the Axis. This anger at Italian royals was probably the reason for the roundup of Princess Irene of Greece, Duchess of Aosta, and her SIL Anne of Orleans, Dowager Duchess of Aosta (sister of the late Comte de Paris) as well as their children. I'm not sure which camp they were at though. I know that CPss Antonia of Bavaria was at a separate camp from Mafalda so the royals were split up.

Also Maria of Savoy (the youngest daughter of Vittorio Emanuele III. of Italy) and her husband Louis of Bourbon-Parma were in a concentr. camp, Sachsenhausen. there were also Prince Albrecht with his family and his step-sisters Irmingard, Editha, Hilda, Gabrielle and Sophie, the daughters of Antonia of Luxembourg. Mafalda of Savoy died in Buchenwald.

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2006, 11:48:34 AM »
a couple more of their wedding--her dress is very 1930s  :)

Who is the Lady at right between Aimone and Paul ? Is it Princess irene's sister, Helen ?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by KarlandZita »
Reginei Mama Elena a Romaniei

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2006, 05:14:44 PM »
Yes, it is:

From left: George II, Prince George, Princess Irene, Prince Aimone, Helen of Romania, CP Paul of Greece.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2006, 05:23:07 AM »
Yes indeed ! He was that and more. I think all the Greek Princesses were elegant and slim looking, that's why they  look good in 30's fashion. The only expection was Princess Margarita and Princess Cecilie who both put on weight after giving birth. Especially Margarita became quite stout in her late years.  ;)

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2006, 10:31:36 PM »
Helen, Olga, Elisabeth, Marina, Cecilie and Sophie I always thought the cream of the crop...however none of these formerly beautiful girls aged well.  Maybe it was all the suffering they experienced what with wars, family tragedies, exile, etc...

Perhaps Olga and Marina were the two who preserved most of their looks as they aged, but by their fifties, these were but a faint memory.  Do not take this as a nasty comment, simply an appreciation based on hundreds of photos I have of each one of them going from birth to just before their death.

What has always struck me personally is the amount of tragedy these first cousins experienced in their lifetime...simply amazing!

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com