Author Topic: Princess Irene of Greece (1904-1974)  (Read 115963 times)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Princess Irene of Greece (1904-1974)
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2006, 11:04:00 PM »
Yes...However I think even though their looks faded, they retained their sense of elegence which is quite unique among the royals in Europe. Irene and Sofie were not really looked beautiful compared to their more striking cousins (The Nicholas daughtets had the benefit of a Paris upbrining that suited them well in fashion and the arts), but they retained their elegant slim figures while others (Marshka and Kyra, Margarita Hohenlohe and Queen Juliana) didn't... ::)

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2006, 10:46:11 AM »
I have not mentioned "sense of elegance" once in my reply...you insinuate I did.

You seem to equate "sense of elegance" with putting on weight, which is nt the same of course. Kira Prussia and Marie Leiningen possessed a different body structure, which was not certainly helped by giving birth to as many children as they did.  The same can be said of Margarita Hohenlohe.  Yet despite their putting on weight they remained quite "elegant," and I have the photos to prove it!

The fact that Olga, Elisabeth and Marina lived in Paris really did not matter that much and I will tell you why.  Olga hardly lived in Paris for example.  Read my republished memoir of Prince Nicholas and do some mathematics.  By the time her parents settled permanently in Paris, she was married off to Paul of Serbia (later Yugoslavia).

Elisabeth and Marina did live in Paris for a far longer time, certainly.  However, they lacked the funds to indulge in Parisian grand couture.  Their clothes were ordered from a lesser-known seamstress who was friends with their mother, who was herself a very elegant and distinguished woman, and who possessed a great sense of style, which she in turn passed on to her daughters.

As for the "arts" ...they did not get this from just living in Paris.  Certainly living in that beautiful city contributed to their appreciation of fine things.  But let us not forget who their father was!  Prince Nicholas was the most artistically inclined of the sons of King George I of the Hellenes, for not only did he paint beautifully, but he spent most of his time learning and appreciating art.  This passion he also shared with his son-in-law Paul, an erudite and artistically knowledgeable man, a leader in the arts in his own country.

All of this and more can be found inside the pages of MY FIFTY YEARS: The Memoirs of Prince Nicholas of Greece (Eurohistory, 2006).

Regards,

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2006, 11:10:37 AM »
Well...beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but chic is not. Olga had been a long term client of Dior and dressed elegantly. As you said Elisabeth and Marina spent more time in Paris and saw how the rich dressed. Marina was famous for copying gowns and have them made for less. When she married George of Kent, the first designer she thought of was Jean Patou to make her wedding dress. George reminded her as a future British Princess, she should use a British designer. So Edward Molyneux, a Britsh designer living in Paris was awarded the job. All three sister remained well dressed and elegant until the last.

Helen and Irene were also elegant and well dressed. Their slim figures suited the fashion of that time to perfection. Like their cousins, they reminded fashionaly dressed till the last (and I got the photos to prove it too).

No My turn on elegance is more on the fashionable or the chic side. Kyra and especially Marshka were not slim looking even as young woman (unlike their mother Ducky, most likely inherited the bulky figure of Michen). They are elegant as royal women, but unlike their Greek cousins, you would not expect to see them in Vogue.

It is quite interesting that Margarita grew quite stout, while her younger sister Theodora was pencil thin.

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2006, 11:27:44 AM »
So you believe stout people possess no chic or elegance?  Do you think that only slim people do?  For it seems to me you equate slenderness with elegance.

Margarita Hohenlohe was stout, yes, that is unarguably true...yet she remained quite elegant even though she possessed a lesser access to funds than her two other sisters.  Kira Prussia gained a considerable amount of weight in later life, yet she remained very elegant.  Her own mother did not retain her slim figure in her later years, yet retained her elegance.

Marie Leiningen is a far more difficult case to argue.  She died too soon after the war at a time when more importance was placed on survival than in fashion.

Arturo Beéche

--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2006, 11:59:32 AM »
Well...As the late Duchess of Windsor put it. "Nobody can be too thin or too rich". As fashion is considered I think that sums it up as far as fashion is concerned.

I am not to say that people cannot be elegant in gesture, speech or movements. Grant you that the first thing Queen Victoria noticed about Prince William of Glucksborg (later King George I of Greece) was that he was a "slim and elegant boy". George I was to retain both his slim fit and elegance through out his life. It is also notice worthy that all his three sisters remained elegant and slim (maybe that was in the DNA, so that can be why most of the Greek Princesses retained their figures).

Another example was Queen Ena of Spain. She retained both his dress sense (she was on the best dressed list of royals)and figure despite constant child-bearing. She dis not have the prefect figure but managed to look striking even after she went into exile.

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2006, 01:16:48 PM »
Yet your reply does not address the issue at hand...your thinking that because Kira, Marie and Margarita were stout, they were not elegant or chic...

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2006, 09:03:24 PM »
Yes I believe that it is hard to be BIG and CHIC at the same time, yet you can still be graceful and elegant. Yes I don't think Marska was EVER fashionable and graceful looking (like her cousin Mignon).

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2006, 10:57:54 AM »
Yet your reply does not address the issue at hand...your thinking that because Kira, Marie and Margarita were stout, they were not elegant or chic...

Arturo Beéche

I think what we are talking about here is the indescribable quality of "IT".  Some people have "IT" and some people do not.  This "IT" quality has nothing to do with beauty.

Wallis Windsor had "IT" as did Marina and her sisters.  I do not think it can be explained any other way as to why some people capture the imagination and attention of the public (Diana & Alexandra & Missy) and some do not (Queen Mary).  Good looks help (Jackie Kennedy& Kate Moos)) but it is more than good looks (Wallis, Diana Verland, Rosie O'Donnell and Oprah).

TampaBay

"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Mandie, the Gothic Empress

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Olga.Tatiana.Maria.Anastasia + Alexei
    • View Profile
    • Romanovs of Russia
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2006, 11:21:51 AM »
Yes...However I think even though their looks faded, they retained their sense of elegence which is quite unique among the royals in Europe. Irene and Sofie were not really looked beautiful compared to their more striking cousins (The Nicholas daughtets had the benefit of a Paris upbrining that suited them well in fashion and the arts), but they retained their elegant slim figures while others (Marshka and Kyra, Margarita Hohenlohe and Queen Juliana) didn't... ::)

I don’t understand with you mean, Eric, are you saying fat girls aren’t pretty?  :-[ It was a same issue in a topic of Ella of what you said about Alix.
Maria and Kyra were pretty, but the sizes mean nothing to me. I don’t much about them (like their attitudes and what their charterics are) so I can’t judge them, same with Juliana of Holland, she wasn’t a size 3 of course, but I can’t judge her. 
Every girl has her loveliness like a diamond, even if they are plain looking or not as pretty as their sister or slim and elegant.
They have something about them, even if there is a woman that’s the sexy woman in the world; and she nasty as hell, then she ugly to me.
Queen Latifah is not a size 2, and she beautiful! Anastasia of Russia, she may not be as elegant as Tatiana or Angel-like Marie or like Olga the Russian rose. She pretty to me and even in some pictures, she looks lovelier then her sisters. :)  ;)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2006, 10:40:39 PM »
Well...Everybody have their concepts of beauty. I am not arguing of what beauties is to you or to me. That is never a question. For example Jackie O was a deemed slim and beautiful. while Christina O was forever deemed fat and dowdy. I am sure that she was a beautiful woman to those that loved her. But to the fashionable world she wasn't.

Going back to Irene, there wasn't a lot on her later life. Wonder how it was with her during the sunset years.  ???

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2008, 05:32:29 AM »
Princess Irene of Greece :

« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 02:08:58 AM by Svetabel »
Reginei Mama Elena a Romaniei

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2008, 08:48:46 AM »
Princess Irene of Greece :

The two sisters Helen and Irene together :

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2008, 08:08:47 AM »
Princesses Helen and Irene of Greece (Photo from the Mary Evans Picture Library) :

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2009, 09:36:50 AM »
Young Princess Irene (early 1920s) :

Same day with her brother Paul :

Irene as a young woman :

Irene in the 1930s :

Her wedding with Aimone of Spolete in 1939 :

At the wedding of her son Amedeo :

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2009, 02:05:58 PM »
Irene looked more like Queen Helen as she aged...Even the clothes they wore were similar.