Author Topic: Favourite Faberge Eggs  (Read 19423 times)

Offline Olga

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Favourite Faberge Eggs
« on: April 19, 2004, 08:58:01 AM »
As the Faberge eggs constitute such a large part of the Romanov 'myth', which one would be your favourite? Mine would have to be the Red Cross Egg and the Lilies of the Valley Egg. The colour of the pink enamel plus the pearls is just beautiful.  ;D

Janet Whitcomb

Re: Favourite Faberge Eggs
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 10:37:17 AM »
All of the eggs fascinate me, but the Lillies of the Valley egg is definitely my favorite.  It's the miniatures of Nicholas, Olga and Tatiana that are hidden away but appear at the touch of a button (actually, a pearl) incorporated into the design of the egg.  I can only imagine Alexandra's joy when she received this egg . . . portraits of the three people she loved the most, inside an exquiste pink-and-lilly-coverd egg!

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 02:42:04 PM »
Add me to the list of those whose favourite Faberge egg is the Lilies of the Valley egg. I like the pink colour, the lilies of the valley (as they are my own birth flower - for the month of May), and I especially like the sentimentality behind it, with showing the two little Grand Duchesses. In my eyes, it is simply the most beautiful of the Imperial eggs.

While this egg is my favourite, I also like any egg that shows portraits of the children. I imagine that those with portraits of the ones she loved were the most treasured by Alexandra, as they were so very personal. My second place choice would probably be the Fifteenth Anniversary egg, as it is surely the most personal and sentimental of all the eggs. It depicts events from the life of the Imperial couple starting with their Coronation and has beautiful portraits of all the children.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Sarai_Porretta »

Offline Jane

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 11:27:41 AM »
Oooh, tough question to answer.  Like others, I am fascinated by all of the eggs, not only the Imperial eggs but the Kelch eggs--the craftmanship, the detail, the materials.  But there are several I find especially compelling:

1.  Lilies of the Valley Egg--echoing what others have said here.  Plus I am a sucker for anything Art Nouveau.

2.  Trans-Siberian Railway Egg--just for the surprise--a foot-long miniature wind-up train.

3.  Mosaic Egg--to my eye, one of the most unique of all the Eggs.  Plus the incredibly lovely little cameo portrait of OTMA and Alexis.

4.  Orange-Tree Egg--Gorgeous.  Could look at it all day.

5.  Kremlin Egg--stunning execution of an idea.  Clunky perhaps; certainly not a graceful and delicate egg.  But I love it.  It's so bizarre and unusual.

6.  Steel Egg--sheer perversity on my part.  Clean, straight lines, and I love the bullet-shaped legs.  So evocative of the martial and warlike nature of the times.

Jane

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Jane »

Offline DOMOVOII

• Boyar
  • Crikey chief!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 05:18:19 PM »
Fascinating question, Faberge will forever be inextricably mentioned in the same breath as N&A for me.

For me the very best of the Eggs Imperial or otherwise are the Winter Egg, and the Pansy Egg. both for me capture what these eggs were made for, the expression of the recipint and the pleasure they brought.

Incidentally if anyone knows where the Pansy Egg is I'd love to know, all avenues are closed.
A stand can be taken against an army of men, but no stand can be made against an invasion of an idea          V Hugo

Offline Merrique

• Knyaz
  • aka Yekaterina Yevgenievna
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 07:53:48 PM »
I believe the pansy egg is owned by a private collection in the usa.
As far as my favorite egg thats a hard question.They are all so beautiful it's hard to choose.But i would say i really love the basket of wildflowers egg,the standart yacht egg,the tsarevich egg,the fifteenth anniversary egg,the Mosaic Egg,and Twelve Monograms. ::)
Don't knock on Death's door....ring the doorbell and run. He hates that.:D

Offline Nick_Nicholson

• Boyar
  • www.objectofvirtue.com
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas B. A. Nicholson
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2004, 02:44:41 PM »
The Pansy Egg is in a private collection in New Orleans.

Best,

Nick
Nick Nicholson
New York City

Offline darkannex

• Meep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2004, 05:51:47 PM »
I would have to say that my favorite of the eggs would be the "Birch Egg" What a fitting end-note to the monarchy, and so bittersweet.

From the very heights of the monarchy, to be brought down so low by the revolution. The Birch egg, bereft of the gems, embellishments and ornate designs that made its companions so notable...it is still nevertheless the most noble and poignant of them all (IMO).

Offline KatieAnn

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 03:14:07 AM »
Oooh what a difficult one to answer!  However, current favourites are:

1.  Winter Egg
2.  Pansy Egg
3.  Steel Egg
4.  Coronation Egg (don't know it's real title but it's got a miniature of the Coronation Coach inside it)
5.  Mosiac Egg
6.  Trans Siberian Egg

Just a quick question:  Did any other members of the IF order eggs?  Michael, Serge etc?  If so, any ideas what they were like?

Thanks
Kathleen

Offline leanora

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004, 02:42:31 PM »
I have just seen the exhibition on this link: http://andrejkoymasky.com/liv/fab/fab00.html

Wahhoouu, It's a difficult question, but I have noticed 3 wonderful eggs.. They are my favourites:

1) Alexander palace egg  1908
2) Czarevitch egg  1912
3) Rosebud egg  1895

Offline doppie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2005, 05:29:53 AM »
last year i have buy in new york a faberge replica of lilly of the valley egg for us$ 3.500,00. the egg is very beautifull and is my favorite. (sorry my englisch is not so good i am from the netherlands)

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2005, 05:55:28 PM »
I have three favorites:

1. Alexander palace egg
2. Lily of the Valley egg
3. Mosaic egg

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
  • don't take yourself too seriously
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005, 10:56:16 PM »
Alexander Palace Egg
Lilies
Basket of wildflowers...just to name a few.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

Offline chintz22

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2005, 09:35:16 PM »
Hi all,

I'd have to say my favorite is the Winter Egg too -- the concept is beautifully executed and I especially love the fact that it was designed by a woman.  

The Spring Flowers egg is gorgeous but I believe it was recently revealed not to be an Imperial egg.  It is beautiful nonetheless.  

The Coronation Egg is lovely--the carriage is so detailed.  I've never seen the Trans-Siberian Railway Egg but the intricacy of the mechanism on the train is fascinating.

Such creativity the Faberge shop had.  Can you imagine actually receiving even one of these eggs?  I've always wondered if Nicholas would have given his daughters an egg as well when they were married, especially if they no longer lived in Russia.

Best,

Sarah

RomanovsFan4Ever

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 09:33:46 AM »
My favorite Faberge egg is this one dedicated to the Romanov Dynasty, I don't know the exact name: