The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
July 24, 2014, 03:39:37 AM
460792 Posts in 8935 Topics by 14536 Members
Latest Member: kmk818
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty
| |-+  The Greek Royal Family (Moderators: LisaDavidson, BobAtchison, Forum Admin, Svetabel)
| | |-+  Princess Irene (Yriny) of Greece, sister of Queen of Spain
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author
Topic: Princess Irene (Yriny) of Greece, sister of Queen of Spain  (Read 30645 times)
« on: February 24, 2005, 07:17:29 AM »
QueenEna1887 Offline
Graf
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 347

View Profile

I barely hear much of Princess Irene of Greece & Denmark, the youngest child and daughter of Paul I and Frederika. Anyways from what I read she never married and I' am wondering why she never married. Was she like other royal daughters who had to be handmaiden's to their mothers? Has she ever thought about marriage? Will she marry at her age? If Charles and Camilla can do it? I don't see why it is possible.
Reply #1
« on: February 24, 2005, 08:13:10 AM »
Marlene Offline
Velikye Knyaz
I live and breath QVD Posts: 2467

View Profile WWW

I barely hear much of Princess Irene of Greece & Denmark, the youngest child and daughter of Paul I and Frederika. Anyways from what I read she never married and I' am wondering why she never married. Was she like other royal daughters who had to be handmaiden's to their mothers? Has she ever thought about marriage? Will she marry at her age? If Charles and Camilla can do it? I don't see why it is possible.

From my book

"Her younger sister Irene is unmarried.  Talented enough to have been a pupil of the world famous concert pianist, Gina Bachauer, Princess Irene gave a number of public performances.  She is now deeply involved with various relief programs to help children."

Irene lives in Madrid, and is one of Sophie's closest and dearest friends.

She has never married, but she had a long term relationship with a married Greek man, who went into exile with the RF (and was rather close to Constantine.)  This man died several years ago.

Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/
Reply #2
« on: February 24, 2005, 08:39:52 AM »
Eurohistory Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

Princess Irene also dedicates a good deal of effort to her charitable foundation, Mundo en Armonía and is a very good pianist of concert quality talent.  I got a Christmas card from her last year.

Arturo Beéche

--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com
Reply #3
« on: February 24, 2005, 12:40:43 PM »
Frederika Offline
Graf

View Profile WWW

could you tell me more about irene's relationship i have also heard that queen sophia had an affare with another man that produced kathrine king paul was said to have two chilldren with another women and queen frederika had an affare with Allen Dulles the director of the CIA.
Reply #4
« on: February 24, 2005, 01:11:10 PM »
Marlene Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

could you tell me more about irene's relationship i have also heard that queen sophia had an affare with another man that produced kathrine king paul was said to have two chilldren with another women and queen frederika had an affare with Allen Dulles the director of the CIA.

I sincerely doubt Queen Sophie was unfaithful to her husband, despite his affairs.  It was not in her nature.  I have never seen any evidence to Frederika having an affair with Dulles as he was in DC and she wasn't.  However, they did maintain a correspondence, and many of these letters were published in a bio on Frederika about a decade or so ago.

As for Irene's long term companion,  all I will say -- as no one has ever written about it -- is that the man was older, married, and now deceased.  He was also very close to Constantine.

Reply #5
« on: February 24, 2005, 02:46:36 PM »
Frederika Offline
Graf

View Profile WWW

Dulles is now dead i think he wrote an autobiography a thew years back saying he did have an affair with freddie and somthing about being trapped in a closit with her while she was on one of her many visits to the USA
Reply #6
« on: February 24, 2005, 11:27:21 PM »
lexar Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 8

View Profile

At least one (illegitimate) daughter, named Aliki ....., was conceived and born of king Paul I and a palace female personnel about 1947/1948, while Frederika was away to Yugoslavia for health reasons?
This daughter was brought up at one of the orphanages of the National Royal Foundation and sent off to the U.S.A. as an adopted child before the age of ten, in the presence of two of the queen's ladies in waiting.
Reply #7
« on: February 25, 2005, 07:24:57 AM »
Alicky1872

I sincerely doubt Queen Sophie was unfaithful to her husband, despite his affairs. .

I've always wondered if Paul was Constantine's. He always looked rather odd to me. He was so tall, whereas his brothers were very short. He just didn't resemble the others. Same goes for Katherine. (Although she really resembled Sophie though)
Reply #8
« on: February 25, 2005, 09:38:16 AM »
Marlene Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

At least one (illegitimate) daughter, named Aliki ....., was conceived and born of king Paul I and a palace female personnel about 1947/1948, while Frederika was away to Yugoslavia for health reasons?"

Could you provide a citation to this information.  Why would Frederika go to a Communist country in 1947 or 1948 for health reasons?  

The Yugoslav monarchy was abolished in 1945 - I doubt Frederika would have visited Yugoslavia two or three years later, especially as Greece was largely in the middle of a civil war of sorts.

Reply #9
« on: February 25, 2005, 10:14:00 AM »
Frederika Offline
Graf

View Profile WWW

the royal family was not greek ethnicly but a lot of them look very greek Anna maria's and constantines first three childred dont seem to resemble ether of them but they have very greek features.

constantine looks a lot like paul sophia and yreny look a lot like frederika. yrene looks so much like her mother she was the most priti out of the two i think.

what has happend to pauls daughter now is she still alive?
it seems that palo and freddie's marridge was not as rosey as freddie made out.
paul was quite a shy and week man a friend of mine said he was viewed as a good but gloomey man by the greeks. Freddie was a very strong and intence women it seems quite possible that she an Dulles had an affira he was a famous womeniser and she was probably very attractid to him i dout freddie was pleased by pauls affira he was a lot older than her and she was a very goodlooking women so why not!

Frederika

Yreny
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by frederika » Logged
Reply #10
« on: February 25, 2005, 11:25:30 AM »
QueenEna1887 Offline
Graf

View Profile

Nice pictures! Irene and Frederika resembled each other very much! What is Irene up to now?
Reply #11
« on: February 25, 2005, 01:54:44 PM »
Marlene Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

Nice pictures! Irene and Frederika resembled each other very much! What is Irene up to now?

Look at the above posts from Art and myself

Reply #12
« on: February 25, 2005, 02:16:53 PM »
Iskenderbey Offline
Boyar
Zito o Vasileus! Posts: 240

View Profile

I disagree, I think Irene has more of her father's, King Pauls, features, than that of Queen Frederica's, especially when one sees pictures of her nowadays.

Reply #13
« on: March 02, 2005, 10:11:15 AM »
lexar Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 8

View Profile

Regarding Aliki... (one illegitimate) daughter of Paul I:
There is no "citation" for this information, since it is a personal experience based on partial presence.
A detail: This "daughter" was tall enough for her age to be mostly isolated by her peers. Of course, if one knew of her real father, her sort of unusual height was/is? completely normal.
Now, re: Frederica and Yugoslavia:
One may search the daily press of the period and find answers.
Yugoslavia was certainly not quite communist then. She became "communist" after American interference and influence were rejected by a mostly self-serving nationalist, Tito, in half hearted favour of the U.S.S.R.--which was never allowed to play quite the active role that she did in all other eastern European nations.
For the sake of information, any "sort of civil war"! never held back official visits for all kinds of reasons, especially to a sister country to Greece, like Yugoslavia, unlike to repeatedly pro-German and fascist/communist Bulgaria and Turkey.
Reply #14
« on: March 29, 2005, 08:23:29 PM »
QueenEna1887 Offline
Graf

View Profile

If she had the chance do you think Irene would marry?  She's only in her early 60's.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: