Author Topic: New Book: Alexandra Feodorovna and Toni Becker  (Read 16393 times)

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
New Book: Alexandra Feodorovna and Toni Becker
« on: April 20, 2004, 10:52:30 PM »
Yet another friend of Alix--she who was suipposed to be so off-putting!  I believe I have some sketchy info about Toni Becker.  Unfortunately, I don't have those books with me right now, so maybe someone else will beat me to it?   :)

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
Re: New Book: Alexandra Feodorovna and Toni Becker
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 04:47:27 PM »
Earlier today Elisa posted the following under the Alexander Palace thread: "I've just found out a very very interesting piece of information about the painter E. Bracht. I read that Toni Becker, Alix's childhood friend in Darmstadt, married in 1895, 'a celebrated painter, Bracht, a man much older than herself'. Could this be THE Bracht? The wonderful painting of Schloss Romrod was painted in this same year 1895. And Toni was later known as Frau Bracht. "

So, I checked the Internet but all the websites listing "Eugen Bracht, 1842-1921" were in German, a language which I do not read or speak.

Perhaps some one fluent in German could help us?  :)

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 09:07:34 AM »
A little appetizer! There will be a highly interesting new book soon! A must-have for all those with a soft spot for Empress Alexandra Feodorovna (and of course all Romanov-fans)

The letters written by the Empress to her close childhood-friend Antonie (Toni) Becker (1868-1965) from 1887 to 1913. Toni's father, Dr. Ernst Becker, was the private secretary to the British Prince Consort Albert and even served as a tutor for the Prince of Wales (future Edward VII) and Prince Alfred Duke of Edinburgh/S.K.G.
During 10 years serving at the British Court he became a close friend of the Royal Family - a huge collection of letters from Queen Victoria, Prince Albert and all of their children (including gorgeous toddler-letters with their very first steps in the German language) survives to this day as well as precious albums with photgraphs which Becker - like Prince Albert a keen pioneer of the new medium photography and a very gifted photographer himself - took of the Royals and the Royal Household.

When the Prince died and his daughter Princess Alice went to Darmstadt Queen Victoria asked Becker to accompany his former favourite pupil to her new home. Becker agreed and served until his death to the newly made Hessian Princess and future Grand Duchess.
His eldest daughter was baptised "Victoria" - having the Queen as well as Empress Frederick as Godmothers whereas the second, Toni became closely attached to the young Princess Alix of Hesse.
The surviving documents such as letters, postcards, jewels, objets d'arts, Russian toys etc will be shown for the very first time in a book published by Toni's own granddaughter.

Especially the early letters prove to be highly interesting due to their absolutely open voice (character; true but unfortunate love to the Tsarevitch....)
It will be in German (some letters contain English lines though) - but merely the wonderfully rare photographical material is worth taking a glimpse into that book to be.
It even offers a translation of the famous "own cryptic script" Princess Alix and Toni inventioned for themselves.

If anybody should be interested in that book: I can provide information and - as soon as it will be for sale - the address of the seller. Feel free to ask. Greets
Meine Kaiserin

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 02:57:56 PM »

NEWS: The book will soon be available.

"Briefe der Zarin Alexandra von Russland an ihre Jugendfreundin Toni Becker-Bracht"

ISBN: 978-3-8370-9884-6
Meine Kaiserin

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
  • 1 Corinthians 13, Mark 11: 23-24, Romans 8: 38-39
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 12:45:54 AM »
Does the Mme. Becker nickname for "you know" was named after her? It's something I need a clarification upon.

Amazing colored fotos  by the most wonderful Yelena Aleksandrovna. Endless thank you very much!

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 04:55:53 AM »

Sorry for the late reply...

I do not know whether "Mde Becker" has actually to do with Toni - it is likely. I have to ask her granddaughter about it (tho' I think she would've told me)
Meine Kaiserin

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 02:35:07 AM »
Thomas, didn't we discuss it with her about two, three years ago? If I recall well, there is no indication whatever that the phrase 'Madame Becker' had anything to do with her grandmother's family name.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 02:37:47 AM by Helen »
"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"  -  http://www.bod.de/index.php?id=296&objk_
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 04:58:35 PM »
I don't remember... getting old I guess
Nonetheless I'd like to it too.

By the way: what about "Courtlife sucks"?
Meine Kaiserin

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 06:34:51 AM »
By the way: what about "Courtlife sucks"?
Making progress.
"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"  -  http://www.bod.de/index.php?id=296&objk_
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 11:51:21 AM »
The letters of Alexandra to her friend Toni Becker have just been published by Books on Demand:
"Briefe der Zarin Alexandra von Russland an ihre Jugendfreundin Toni Becker-Bracht" ; ISBN 978-3-8370-9884-6.
The letters are mainly written in the German language. 
The book can be ordered at http://www.bod.de/index.php?id=1132&objk_id=209980 , but soon also from www.bol.de , www.amazon.de and various other on line bookshops.

Offline matushka

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 03:14:38 PM »
Very interesting! I will surely order the book as soon as possible! When were the published letters written? The whole Russia's period? The Beginning of her reign?

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 03:39:36 PM »
The first letter included is from 1887 and the last item is a telegram from 1913, so they cover over 25 years. But the greater part was written during Alix's Darmstadt years and the early years of her marriage. The earlier letters are quite interesting, imo - Toni was clearly a true friend with whom Alix was very close and had heart-to-heart talks.

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 04:41:07 PM »
I have a friend who knows vastly more about the Hesses family than I . Almost as a lark,  I asked her how does she imagine the term " Madame Becker " ( or Bekker as Olga N. spells it ) came about? She sent me this interesting speculation

Alix by 1888 had no sisters at home and no mother -when 'Madame Becker' arrived for the first time she may have wondered who to turn to. She would have asked the advice of her closest friend,  Toni Becker. She was the daughter of the late Princess Alice's personal secretary and visited the palace most days when Alix was young. Toni would have introduced Alix to her mother I suppose -Madame Becker - who then assisted Alix with her embarrassing problem. Alix was known to use code for everything so this is just one of those possibilities.

I see no reason why this should not be considered as a strong  possibility.

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline rudy3

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 09:22:40 AM »
This book of letters from Empress Alexandra Feodorovna to her youth-friend Toni Becker-Bracht has now been published in Russian, translated by Elena Alexeevna Kopylova.

Offline Inok Nikolai

• Graf
  • Irkutsk, Russia 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 11:12:57 AM »
This book of letters from Empress Alexandra Feodorovna to her youth-friend Toni Becker-Bracht has now been published in Russian, translated by Elena Alexeevna Kopylova.

If you have more information on the Russian edition: publisher, title, ISBN, price, etc., could you please share it with those of us who read Russian, but, alas, not German.

Thank you!
I. N.

инок Николай