Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
Re: Car
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 08:37:10 AM »
The 1913 garage list for the Tsar's cars does not list a Vauxhall. Not reading Finnish, Im not sure what the rest says. Perhaps it was made for another member of the Imperial Family?

Offline BobAtchison

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • The Alexander Palace
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 09:20:34 AM »
This car doesn't appear on the list of cars purchased by Nicholas II.  Maybe it was owned by some city government and used by them on a visit?

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 07:18:54 PM »
I wonder if anyone can let me know please - when did cars first appear on SPb streets?

Thanks  :)

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 08:33:34 PM »
Sometime just around 1900 from what I can tell. Not much earlier, and certainly not much later than 1905.

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 09:02:56 PM »
Thanks Bob!
:D

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004, 11:41:51 PM »
Bob, I have just finished reading My Life by Princess Marie Bariatinsky. In her book she wrote that her husband acquired a Dion which was driven by their chaffeur in Tsarskoe Selo in 1897.

She related an amusing story that neither the chauffeur nor her husband knew how to stop the vehicle - except by running it against a tree, which she notes with some irony, "had the desired effect"!

At one time her husband (Prince Anatoli) was accompanied by the regiment doctor who sat at the back over the engine, shielded by wet blankets to protect him from severe burns ...

"... everything went well for ten minutes and we were all enjoying the drive, when suddenly without the slightest warning we were enveloped in a cloud of steam. I and the mechanic jumped off and the doctor fell out, then we heard an explosion ... which caused little damage to the machine."

This entire episode was related to Nicholas and Alexandra who were "intensely amused" :)

Understandably their Majesties prefered to wait until the "machine was brought to a state of perfection" after first viewing it in Paris with Prince Anatoli in 1896 during a State visit.

Offline Joanna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Winter Palace Research
    • View Profile
    • Winter Palace Research
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 08:14:20 PM »
There is an interesting history of the Imperial Garage from President Putin's Transport:

"...The Special Purpose Garage has a long history. It dates back to the first state garage in Russia that was created at the Court of Nicholas II in 1906. The Imperial Garage was located in Petrograd. Initially, the garage had ten cars, and just a few years later it already had twenty. Then a chauffeur’s school was established at the garage. A large building was constructed for the garage in Petrograd, which exists to this day (it now houses the carriage museum).

At the beginning of 1917, His Majesty’s Garage became the motor-transport depot of the Temporary Government, and after the October revolution it became the motor-transport depot of the Soviet government. In November 1917 the depot had 46 cars.

In 1918, the garage moved to Moscow along with the Soviet government. The cars which served Vladimir Lenin and his inner circle were kept at the Kremlin. They made up the backbone of the Special Garage that Vladimir Lenin founded by a Decree he signed on 31 December 1920. The garage was headed by Stepan Gil, Lenin’s personal chauffeur.

Later, the Special Garage was renamed the Special Purpose Garage.

The old Tsarist-era cars that were produced at the beginning of the 20th century soon stopped working. Therefore, a group of 15 Rolls Royce cars were purchased in England. They served Lenin, Stalin, Trotsky and Lunacharsky..."

Does anyone know where this carriage museum is located? Are there photos of the building?

Joanna

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2004, 09:32:40 PM »
Joanna, I just did a Google search- carriage museum russia. There are a few listed. The listing I thought best is  "Court Carriages of the 18-20th Centuries. St.P Imperial Stables, etc. Apparently there is one in the city & another at the Catherine palace [& another in Moscow!].
Hope this helps.
Robert
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2004, 09:36:39 PM »
Joanna,
I wrote a short history of the Imperial Garage for the AP main website
http://www.alexanderpalace.org/palace/impgarage.html

Offline Joanna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Winter Palace Research
    • View Profile
    • Winter Palace Research
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2004, 09:59:15 PM »
Hi Rob,

I had read your article when it was first put on the site  :) And having seen again the large photo of the Renault cars outside the garden gates of the palace square, I know from your writing that they were not part of Nicholas' fleet of cars.

I had seen the reference to the garage now carriage museum in St. Petersburg and was curious where this building is located and now wonder if Robert's identification of the Stables is it !!!

Many thanks
Joanna

Offline Joanna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Winter Palace Research
    • View Profile
    • Winter Palace Research
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2004, 11:09:04 PM »
Further to Rob's reference to Kegress "...At the present moment, owing to the constant fault-finding of the Controlling Commission, the Head of the Mechanical Department of the Garage, Kegress and his assistant must listen to numerous reprimands and claims which surely makes the work of the employees much less efficient. Under the circumstances Kegress has lately asked me several times for the permission to retire.

... I consider Kegress an irreplaceable worker and I am afraid his leaving will be a great loss for the garage. Your Highness knows, of course, how much His Majesty appreciates Kegress..."

There is a short biography of Adolphe Kegresse "...He was the chief of Russian Tsar's garages..." and verification of Prince Orlov's above letter "...and since 1909 he's been developing a half-tracked mechanism for cars ..."

http://derela.republika.pl/c-k.htm

There is also a photo of a Rolls with the Kegresse audosledge that was Lenin's but "... confiscated from a member of the Russian nobility..."  The site also states that the "...Czar had a limo with this chassis..." Could this Rolls have been from the Tsar's garage?

http://www.prewarbuick.com/features.htm

Joanna

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2004, 07:55:19 AM »
Another article on imperial cars. It's in Russian and not new (1997), but the photos are self-explaining, and the car models are given in Latinic.

Offline Joanna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Winter Palace Research
    • View Profile
    • Winter Palace Research
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2004, 01:00:12 PM »
Another article on imperial cars. It's in Russian and not new (1997), but the photos are self-explaining, and the car models are given in Latinic.

This is amazing Mike! Many many thanks! In the sixth photo of 1903 with the Mercedes, is that the Feodorovsky Cathedral in the background?

Joanna

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2004, 02:54:24 PM »
Sure wish I could read Russian Mike, that article looks so interesting. I enjoyed the pictures.  ..Arleen