Author Topic: Standardt Crew  (Read 4801 times)

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
Standardt Crew
« on: December 15, 2004, 04:55:43 PM »
A recent post by the FA re: the tragic 1912 suicide of the Standardt's captain, Tchagine, prompts this topic.

We know about Tchagine and information about Lt. Paul Voronov has been posted under the "Servants, Friends and Retainers" category.  But how about other members of the Standardt crew?  Frequently it is mentioned that the IF treated the crew as friends. But who were these crew members, in terms of their own personal histories? How did they qualify for this exaulted assignment, and how many men comprised a crew? What were some of the specific job titles? And what became of them after the abdication and subsequent Revolution?

I realize these are very broad questions, but I think it would be interesting to learn more about these men, and any information--general, or specific--will be appreciated!

Offline LemonDrop

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Standardt Crew
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 04:22:20 PM »
Interesting questions. I too am presently very interested in any info that can be provided. I am currently searching out info on my Grand father as he was reported as a Cheif Stewart on the Standardt. He jumped ship in harbour sometime in 1914-1915 just prior to the revelution and stowed on a freighter that he knew not where it was going. It set sail and arrived in Canada where he met a Russian immagrant and married. It was the start of our Canadian family tree. I have no idea if I have Russian reletives but suspect that I do. Would love to search them out if I could. I'll follow this thread with interest. My search brought me here. There must be a reason for it.  ;D

Offline etonexile

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 10:21:50 PM »
Those who served on the Imperial yachts must have looked back,if they survived WWI and the Revolution,as a fairy-land of beauty and happiness....from the pics.
The Czar and family at their most relaxed and happy....

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 01:43:57 PM »
Dear Lemon Drop ,
If you will ifm the Name of your grand father,
it could be checked very simply with the State Military Naval Archive in St. Petersburg.
The all of the private files of the crews are still there.

Offline Reco

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 12:58:24 PM »
Standart - Looking towards the bow on port side on the lower deck we see our sailors having their well deserved lunch

Offline LemonDrop

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 01:34:45 PM »
Dear Lemon Drop ,
If you will ifm the Name of your grand father,
it could be checked very simply with the State Military Naval Archive in St. Petersburg.
The all of the private files of the crews are still there.

Wow, I know that this has taken a very very long time to reply but none the less I am back. My Grandfathers name was Kartonchik but we have lost his Russian papers and because I have no Russian language skills the Exact Russian is lost to us .. for the most part. His only surviving daughter, my Aunt seems to think that it appeared on his Russian papers pretty much the same. She speaks Russian but has lost all her reading skills for the most part. She was born in Canada. I failed to find anything in the archives even close to Kartonchik.

However, I did last year pick up from my mothers estate 2 pictures (photo's) that she had hidden from her family and my father for over 80 years. I can only think that Grampa must have told her not to tell anyone that she had them as she kept them a secret right to her grave. Her sister never knew of them or that she had them nor did my father. Did he take them from the boat when jumping ship as he had nothing else to take with him? Speculation for sure but intriguing none the less. I had them framed and preserved by the art gallery. and I will attempt to upload them here so that anyone that perhaps my have any info or commnent my do so with my great appreciation.

TIA

Well .. I am a web site administrator but I cannot find the button to upload with.  :P