Author Topic: Empress Elizaveta Alekseevna, wife of Alexander I  (Read 124395 times)

Offline THERRY

• Graf
  • Cogli l'attimo
    • View Profile
Re: Empress Elizaveta Alekseevna, wife of Alexander I
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2010, 01:03:13 PM »
A lot of beautiful paintings !!! Thanks

Offline Yelena Aleksandrovna

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2010, 02:28:32 PM »
Two more...
Yelizaveta

Widow

Offline Dru

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2010, 05:24:27 PM »
Very beautiful, Kaiserin Alzbeta Sissi; you've posted several portraits of Empress Elizaveta that I'd never seen before.  Thanks for sharing!

Offline Dru

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2010, 06:41:31 PM »

Elizaveta Alexeievna
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 07:01:33 PM by Dru »

Offline gem_10

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2010, 10:27:59 PM »
The Empress Elizabeth is one of my favorite Romanov. She is a beautiful woman with a good character. The Russian people admired her. When Elizabeth was compared to the beautiful and lively Queen Louise of Prussia, the French ambassador Joseph de Maistre commented: "The Queen may be a more beautiful woman, but the Empress is a more beautiful sovereign." But I find it hard to think that a charming person like her failed to endear her to the rest of the imperial family. We know that Elizabeth had a shy and withdrawn personality, but I've read that she was rather intolerant to those people she didn't like (e.g Paul I).

Here are some more portraits of the Empress:

Offline Dru

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2010, 11:32:36 PM »
She's one of my favorite Romanovs too, gem_10, and probably the most beautiful of the empresses (in my opinion, at least).

Here's a portrait of Elizaveta with Alexander I.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #96 on: May 28, 2010, 01:19:02 PM »
You're welcome Dru, and thanks to you and to gem_10 for posting those wonderful portraits
It was posted before, but now in color

Another with Alexander

the Tsarina

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2010, 01:21:25 PM »
So pretty

The young lady

I found this as her, I wonder if she is wearing a traditional suit or something like this?

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #98 on: May 28, 2010, 01:22:55 PM »
In color

The Tsarina

Offline Alexandrina-Sofia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2010, 12:13:23 AM »
 Portrait of the Empress Elizaveta Alekseevna.

Unknown artist of the second half of the XIX century.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 12:31:44 AM by Alexandrina-Sofia »

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2010, 12:29:38 AM »
Small portrait

The author of this portrait of the Empress Elizaveta Alekseevna - Alois Rokshtul, 1817.

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2010, 01:03:35 AM »
Portrait of the Empress Elizaveta Alekseevna.
Engraving Vendramini a portrait by Louis de Saint-Aubin, 1808.

Offline violetta

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2010, 06:27:43 AM »
Elizaveta Alekseevna is one of my favorite female members of the Romanov dynasty. Sadly, she was underestimated by the Romanovs,her contemporaries and by the following generations. she was neglected by her husband but fortunately he duly appreciated her at the end of his life. her role as an empress was diminished by the dowager empress maria feodorovna who took the leading role in the imperial household.
i`ve often been thinking why alexander 1 didn`t love his charming and intelligent wife.

1. they got married very early as catherine the great wanted her grandson to marry at an early age to create a counterbalance to her son`s court. they were two immature teenagers, he was 15,she was 13. how could 2 kids unaware of life and love form a functional relationship?! some time prior to their wedding in her letters to her mother elizaveta alexeevna admitted that she kissed alexander`s cheek and admitted that "it was so strange to kiss a man who wasn`t my father or uncle". i `m not trying to justify alexander pavlovich but it`s natural for a young man who married so unbelievably early to get to know other women just out of curiosity. they both were forced into a relationship that they probably didn`t want and were not ready for. they took to each other, they even liked each other. but was this love? impossible for a teenager. what they felt was infatuation that the two youngsters felt for each other. they were young and beautiful so mutual excitement was natural.

2. the fact that elizaveta aleexevna might have had other lovers e.g.okhotnikov or adam czartoryski doesn`t surprise me.she was longing for love that she couldn`t get from her husband.  she was faithful to him and only having lost her hope for her husband`s feeling she turned to other men.

3. i think aleksander felt somewhat inferior as his wife was psychologically stronger. on the night of the murder of paul 1 elizaveta aleevna was, according to adam czartoryski, at this difficult moment she was the only one who stayed calm. what is more, "she was the only authority during this night". alexander was frightned, and witnesses saw him crying on her shoulder. he must have felt humiliated as he was so powerless so weak and didn`t meet requirements of a leader of the nation. he was simplyuncofortable in her presence as she saw the weakest aspect of his personality.

4. alexander simply wasn`t her equal so turned to other women who looked up to him. he simply felt uneasy in her presence. he wasn`t strong enough to be her partner 

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2010, 01:03:09 PM »
Alexandrina-Sofia, thanks for the info about the painter!
Two pics of the Empress
This was posted before but not full

The Tsarina

(not her best)

Offline Janet Ashton

• Knyaz
  • www.directarticle.org
    • View Profile
    • Direct Article
« Reply #104 on: June 02, 2010, 07:15:49 AM »

3. i think aleksander felt somewhat inferior as his wife was psychologically stronger. on the night of the murder of paul 1 elizaveta aleevna was, according to adam czartoryski, at this difficult moment she was the only one who stayed calm. what is more, "she was the only authority during this night". alexander was frightned, and witnesses saw him crying on her shoulder. he must have felt humiliated as he was so powerless so weak and didn`t meet requirements of a leader of the nation. he was simplyuncofortable in her presence as she saw the weakest aspect of his personality.

4. alexander simply wasn`t her equal so turned to other women who looked up to him. he simply felt uneasy in her presence. he wasn`t strong enough to be her partner  

I am not sure I'd agree that Elizabeth's and Alexander's reactions to Paul's death necsesearily show to be stronger than him. After all, Paul was Alexander's father and he was aware of the plots, so it was natural for him to feel confusion, fear, grief and remorse and so on to a far greater degree than Elizabeth did. People who knew them later in life thought she was actualy afraid of him, so I  wonder what that indicates!?

It seems to me that perhaps - as you say - this couple were thrown together too young and came to view one another more as brother and sister than anything else - or at least this is the way A saw E. She has witnessed too many dark family moments with him, knew too much about him for him to be comfortable, and lacked the mystery he wanted in a lover. THis doesn't necessarily sugegst to me that he felt she was stronger than he though. One of the main criticisms made of her at court was that she was cold and shy, and I am sure this was a factor - she was simply not the type of happy, flirtatious woman he wanted. In the early days, he got along very well with Anna F., and this may show us what sort of girl he appreciated - though in my view she was an air-head and oviously far inferior in character and intellect to Eliabeth! :-)
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many; they are few.