Author Topic: Empress Elizaveta Alekseevna, wife of Alexander I  (Read 121388 times)

Offline Yelena Aleksandrovna

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
Re: Empress Elizaveta Alekseevna, wife of Alexander I
« Reply #120 on: June 23, 2010, 03:27:48 PM »
This carpet belonged her

I wonder what is written on it

Offline Mandie, the Gothic Empress

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Olga.Tatiana.Maria.Anastasia + Alexei
    • View Profile
    • Romanovs of Russia
« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2010, 06:59:59 PM »
its some rug she prayed on when Alexander died? i think

Offline Dru

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2010, 07:54:10 PM »
I think you may be right, Mandie.

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #123 on: June 25, 2010, 08:15:18 PM »
The rug clearly has in the foreground the date "1826 (year)," on it. (I can't quite get an enlargement of the remainder of the inscription at this moment)  However, it should be noted that the Emperor Alexander I died in the year 1825.  The Empress died in the earlier part of 1826.  Perhaps it is a memorial date to/for her?  Regards,  AP.     IMPORTANT:  LATER:   Ah..... NOW I see the original source from where the information on the rug came!  Someone looked in Wikipedia and the illustration is from there and has the complete inscription translated.  It further says as a comment: "Carpet on which Elizabeth Alexeievna stood to pray after the death of Alexander I of Russia.  From the  Alexander I Palace in Taganrog."  Note that this is AFTER the death of the Emperor  and is from the Alexander I Palace IN TAGANROG (where he died in 1825.   AP
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 08:45:20 PM by aleksandr pavlovich »

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #124 on: June 25, 2010, 09:08:58 PM »
Re my previous post # 121:  Time ran out for my comments to be finished, as I had just found the answer to a question one of the posters here  (Post # 118) had asked, and also I was able to now understand from the "Wikipedia" article, the complete inscription, which is : "Blessed Be the Place where You Prayed. 1826." It would be interesting to know if the inscription was ADDED in 1826, after the then-Empress Dowager had died.  As for the picture, it apparently has "made the rounds," in various reference books/articles, thus we cannot be certain who took that particular photo and when.  I emphasized the words "IN TAGANROG," since there IS a Alexander (I) "Palace" (simply a larger house) there, though it is natural for most posters to immediately associate the words "Alexander Palace " with Tsarskoye Selo.  Regards,  AP
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 09:25:31 PM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline Dru

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2010, 09:30:15 PM »
Thank you for the information, Aleksandr Pavlovich.

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2010, 09:37:48 PM »
My pleasure!  AP.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #127 on: July 14, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
This represents the death of Alexander I, I wondered if the lady sitting down was his widow, Elizaveta

Courtesy: history illustrated

Rani

« Reply #128 on: July 17, 2010, 06:47:08 PM »

Offline gem_10

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2010, 09:07:47 AM »
What a lovely empress! The "most modest among the Russian consorts", as historians wrote about her.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #130 on: July 21, 2010, 07:17:56 PM »
Fantastic Rani!!
Near to her husband's deathbed

Offline gem_10

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 17, 2010, 12:29:01 AM »
I am currently reading the memoirs of Countess Varvara Golovina, a maid-in-honor and confidante of the then Grand Duchess Elizabeth Alexeievna. It has lots of information about Elizabeth, her relationship with her husband's family and her life at court. It's an interesting read (for me) because there isn't much information about Elizabeth in English, and I'm very interested about her.  :) ;)

Offline ivanushka

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 17, 2010, 08:58:23 AM »
That does sound interesting.  Poor Elizabeth was only about 14 when she married Alexander and though I think that the future Tsar Paul was initially very fond of her, I've always had the impression that she didn't get a very warm welcome from her future mother in law, Maria Feodorovna.  Does the book say anything about what her relationship with her sisters in law were like in those early years at the Russian court?

Offline gem_10

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 18, 2010, 09:55:25 AM »
Elizabeth had a rather difficult relationship with her in-laws especially with her mother-in-law, who, according to Countess Golovina, was jealous and envious of Elizabeth's beauty, grace and her friendship with Catherine the Great. She had a hard time after Catherine's death because her in-laws' attitude towards her changed during the start of the reign of Paul I. She was always being reproached by Maria Feodorovna, and I don't think she had a warm and affectionate relationship with her sister-in-laws (although I recalled from the book that there were times when she played the piano or sung with Alexandra and Elena).  :)

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #134 on: August 26, 2010, 02:27:52 PM »
Finally I could find it bigger and the full verssion

Two more
From 1826

From 1803