Author Topic: Grand Duke Dmitriy Pavlovitch, his wife Audrey Emery, and descendants  (Read 275751 times)

Offline Olga

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Grand Duke Dmitriy Pavlovitch, his wife Audrey Emery, and descendants
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2005, 08:32:24 PM »
I started to wonder if Dmitry ever read the letter Rasputin sent to the Tsar predicting his death, or heard of it and if he did?  Perhaps that caused him to ponder if he had caused the death of his family?

That letter was a forgery, written after the Revolution.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2005, 10:10:08 AM »
Rasputin NEVER made that supposed prediction about the Tsar and IF. So, Dmitri of course never heard of it either. Its a FAKE story made up by Rasputin's secretary Simanovich.

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2005, 01:40:46 PM »
Really? That is news to me.

Thanks for the info

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2005, 10:04:24 AM »
While the Romanovs and Yussoupovs were heavily into the occult and mysticism, they remained devout Orthodox Christians. I heard that Dmitri became totally devoted to eastern mysticism, and gave up Orthodoxy until guilt over the Rasputin murder made him change back when he was sick and dying of TB. Anybody else heard anything on this?

David_Pritchard

« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2005, 06:48:06 PM »
I know that the marriage of GD Dimitri Pavlovich and Princess Ilyinskaya was celebrated by Russian Orthodox prelates. Their only child, Prince Paul, received an Orthodox baptism/chrismation. When the Grand Duke was buried in Count Bernadotte's church an Orthodox burial Mass was celebrated.

DAP

Offline Suzanne

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • Carolyn Harris Royal Historian
« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2005, 11:26:49 PM »
Perry and Pleshakov's work "The Flight of the Romanovs" discusses Dmitiri's interest in Buddism and other Eastern religions and describes these beliefs as a solace during his period of Persian exile, following Rasputin's murder. He never seems to have formally renounced orthodoxy though, therefore it makes sense that his wedding and funeral were performed according to Orthodox practice.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2005, 12:23:20 PM »
Thanks for the info!

David_Pritchard

« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2005, 04:49:07 PM »
Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich's identification card as a British officer dating from the end of World War I.

FA: I removed this image as it is simply far too large for the forum and violates our size requirements.

New scan at a much lower quality level and a smaller size.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by David_Pritchard »

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2005, 05:00:45 PM »
Do you think it small enough ?
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

David_Pritchard

« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2005, 05:07:59 PM »
Actually, you are lucky that I even posted the card. I have been trying to upload it for over a week, probably 20 attempts. I had no idea that it would be so large. The second related document is below, the Grand Duke's British commission.

FA: I Have removed this image as it is too large and violates our size limitations.

New scan at a lower quality level and smaller size.

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2005, 07:56:52 PM »
David, many thanks for the gorgeous picture and documents of Dmitri
Pavlovitch.  I love anything that can be found about him as he is one of my favorite Romanov's.  Speaking of Romanov, wonder why they didn't call him Dmitri Romanov.....it was after the revolution after all.

..Arleen

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
  • don't take yourself too seriously
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2005, 09:44:19 PM »
I"m sorry that it had to be removed, I would have liked to see it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

David_Pritchard

« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2005, 10:33:09 PM »
David, many thanks for the gorgeous picture and documents of Dmitri
Pavlovitch.  I love anything that can be found about him as he is one of my favorite Romanov's.  Speaking of Romanov, wonder why they didn't call him Dmitri Romanov.....it was after the revolution after all.

..Arleen

I will try to rescan my photocopies of the documents at a much smaller size and repost them. For the time being, anyone who would like these documents may send me a message with their e-mail address and I will send them copies.

HIH Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich was his name. He did not have a last name. Romanov-Holstein-Gottorp was the dynastic name; the surname Romanov came via the female line not the male line. No one related to the  Imperial Family should use the name Romanov as a family name because it is incorrect.

DAP

Offline Suzanne

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • Carolyn Harris Royal Historian
« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2005, 11:34:59 PM »
Are you suggesting that Felix Yussupov should not have used the Yussupov name because it came through the female line. I can think of plenty of cases where a family name has endured through the female line.

David_Pritchard

« Reply #104 on: July 23, 2005, 12:15:32 AM »
No, I am not suggesting that Prince Felix Yussupov did not have the right to use the surname of Yussupov. He was legally entitled to this surname and the title of prince that came with it because his father, Count Felix Felixovich Sumarokov-Elston, applied to the Emperor for written permission to take this surname and title when he married the heiress of the Princely House of Yussopov, Princess Zinaida Nikolaievna Yussupova.

As the members of the Imperial Family made unequal marriages, some received the permission of the Head of the Imperial House to marry; their wives were granted titles and the children of these marriages were granted titles surnames reflecting the status of both of their parents. One of the best examples of this are the Children of HIH Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich and Audrey Emery, Serene Princess Ilyinskaya, their son became the Serene Prince Paul Dmitrivich Romanovsky-Ilyinsky.

Those persons that use the name Prince X Romanov do not have Russian titles or proper last names according to the traditions of the Imperial House of Russia that were established years before the Revolution. I suppose that if they applied to the Grand Duchess Maria Vladimironva, their names and titles could be regularised.

DAP