Author Topic: Grand Duke Dmitriy Pavlovitch, his wife Audrey Emery, and descendants  (Read 283664 times)

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
Re: Grand Duke Dmitriy Pavlovitch, his wife Audrey Emery, and descendants
« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2005, 02:03:30 AM »
David, thank you so much for the re-sized post. Much more  readable.  I knew it was an interesting  document, but so large it was distorted beyond appreciation.
I am curious now as to what size the original document is ? I know some of those things can be quite large and are usually folded  up to fit portfolios.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline dianoshka

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2005, 02:14:31 AM »
Thanks for the scans.  :)

David_Pritchard

« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2005, 01:47:55 PM »
David, thank you so much for the re-sized post. Much more  readable.  I knew it was an interesting  document, but so large it was distorted beyond appreciation.
I am curious now as to what size the original document is ? I know some of those things can be quite large and are usually folded  up to fit portfolios.

I am not certain about the original size. A grandson of the Grand Duke made me copies of his copies that he received from the British Ministry of Defence.

DAP

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
  • don't take yourself too seriously
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2005, 01:52:44 PM »
Thank you very much David.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

Offline Prince_Christopher

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2005, 04:42:18 PM »
I've been reading Education of a Princess and wondered if anyone knows the complete list of signers of  the petition Marie Pavlovna the younger circulated  among the Imperial Family and sent to Nicholas after Rasputin's murder, objecting to Dmitri's treatment.

Marie says in the book that Queen Olga of Greece put her name at the top.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Prince_Christopher »
Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing.
--Cicero

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2005, 05:23:28 PM »
In order of signature:
Olga of Greece
Maria Pavlovna, elder
Cyril
Victoria
Boris
Andrew
Paul
Maria Pavlovna, younger
Elisabeth Mavrikevna
John
Helene
Gabriel
Constantine
Igor
Nicholas Michaelovich
Serge Michailovich

Offline Prince_Christopher

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2005, 05:54:47 PM »
Thank you, FA!
Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing.
--Cicero

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2005, 06:50:18 PM »
Marie says in the book that Queen Olga of Greece put her name at the top.

I had just read the list in Love, Power and Tragedy as well but I've been beaten to it!  :)

It's not surprising about Olga being at top (was she the instigator of the letter?) since Dmitri was her grandson (her daughter Alexandra being his mother). That also made him part of the larger Constantinovichi family who were well-represented in the letter even though, of the Romanovs,  they were probably on the best terms with N&A.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #113 on: July 24, 2005, 07:02:22 PM »
For anyone who's interested here's the letter:

'Your Imperial Majesty. We all whose signatures You will read at the close of this letter, fervently and strongly implore You to mitigate Your severe decision concerning the destiny of Grand Duke Dmitriy Pavlovitch--We know that he is physically sick and deeply shocked, suprressed morally. You,--his former Trustee and Supreme Guardian, know his heart has always been filled with so much fervent love for You, Your Majesty, and for our Motherland. We entreat your IMperial Majesty, in view of the young age and really poor health of Grand Duke Dmitriy Pavlovitch to allow him to stay in Usov or Ilyinskoye. Your Imperial Majesty must be aware of how hard are the conditions for our troops in Persia, because of lack of living quarters, epidemics and other scourges of the human race, should Grand Duke Dmitriy Pavlovitch be obliged to stay there, it would mean his complete ruin and in the heart of Your Imperial Majesty, ther emust emerge some pity for the youth whom You have loved, who since childhood has been happy to be much and often near You and to whom You have been as kind as a father. May the Lord exhort Your Imperial Majesty to change Your decision and temper justice with mercy. Fervently faithful to and fondly loving Your Imperial Majesty [signatures followed]

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2005, 07:03:41 PM »
To which Nicholas added on the top of the letter (I guess he returned it):

'Nobody had got the right to commit an assassination, I know that many are conscience-stricken for not only Dmitriy Pavlovitch is implicated in the crime. Your application surprises me. Nikolai.'

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2005, 08:59:10 PM »

Paul
John
Constantine
Igor
Nicholas Michaelovich
Serge Michailovich

Ironically, Dmitri's life was saved, while these all died tragically.

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2005, 12:12:15 AM »

I found the articles the other day about the Romanovs living in the United States. The most prominent seems to be Prince Michael Philip Romanov Ilyinsky who lives in Cinn. Ohio. He is is the great-great-grandson of Tsar Alexander II, the great-grandson of Tsar Alexander III and the grandson of Grand Duke Dimitri Pavlovich Romanov. Dimitri is one of the murderers of Rasputin.
This man appears to have aboslutely no interest in being Romanov. I don't know why that jumped out at me. We are all so interested in the Romanovs. That amaze me. Anyway, I am interested in learning more about this branch of the family. How did they come to live in the United States? What connections do the have, if any, to Russia today? Where would they stand in the line of succession? Does anyone else seem to think that they are disinterested in their heritage? Anyone know anything?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 04:34:25 AM by Svetabel »
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

Finelly

« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2005, 12:23:24 AM »

After the Revolution, Dmitri married an American heiress from Ohio and moved to the United States.Before he divorced Aubrey Emery, he had a son named Paul.  Paul lived in Ohio and also in Palm Beach, and was at one point Mayor of that city.  

Paul had four kids - 2 boys, 2 girls.  3 of them still live in Cincinatti.

My understanding is that Dmitri's grandchildren were raised not to know very much about being Romanovs.  They adored their grandfather, but as a human being rather than an historical figure.  Despite the family wealth, they were all raised to make a living and participate in American life as "regular people", not royalty.  

I think only one of the grandchildren, Michael, has professed any great interest in the Romanov family per se.  He attended the funeral in Russia and met some of his cousins, with whom he stays in touch sporadically.  He is a photographer by profession.

Both Dmitri and his sister, Marie Pavlovna the Younger, were profoundly disillusioned after the Revolution.  If you read Marie's memoirs, you see that she survived some hard knocks and gradually came to realize how unfair the social class distinction and distribution of wealth was in Russia.  Dmitri felt somewhat the same, and I wouldn't be suprised if he passed that, as well as a discinclination to be remembered as a royal, to his son and grandchildre.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 04:34:49 AM by Svetabel »

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 16, 2005, 12:45:41 AM »
Finelly,
Do you know the name of the book which contains Marie's memoir's? I would like to read.
Does anyone know where they fall in the line of succession?

Finelly

« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2005, 03:27:09 PM »
Marie's memoirs, the first volume, are called "Education of a Princess".  You can buy it used at Amazon.com.

Michael Ilyinsky is a photographer and lives in Cincinnatti.
His sister Anne owns a boutique there - sells gift items in Cincinnatti.
His sister Paula runs a non-profit organization in Cincinatti that was created after her daughter was killed in a drunk driving accident.
Dmitri, aka Tim, designs miniature railways in Connecticut.

I think they are all very close and none of them do much related to the Romanov family.  They seem to be very American and eschew that sort of thing.

I don't know what position they would be in the line to the throne, if any.  But Paul, the son of Dmitri the elder, was offered the throne in about 1990 by a group of Russian diplomats who visited him in Palm Beach.  He declined.