Author Topic: Princess Ileana of Romania,her life and family  (Read 273238 times)

Offline AbbessNiece

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Princess Ileana of Romania,her life and family
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2004, 08:10:00 PM »

« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 02:59:46 PM by Svetabel »

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2004, 09:43:28 PM »
Thank you so much for the photos!

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2004, 03:31:05 PM »
Yes a lovely story - and mentioned in different articles about Ileana, with whom I had a long correspondence - and she was a lovely woman.

But it is true that her first marriage was not a success, and she was intimately involved with a high communist official - largely in order to protect her hospital ... and she believed that he would protect her and she would be allowed to stay ... Elizabeth, on the other hand, was a nasty creature, slept with anything that moved - had a long standing relationship with her banker who helped her line her pockets - during the late 30s and early 40s.  She allowed her home to be used by Greek communists to plot the overthrow of the Greek monarchy.  She too thought she would be able to stay- but was not permitted to take her riches with her  -- all her ill-gotten-gains were for naught.  
Michael and Anne trusted neither, and there was little contact between Michael and Anne and his aunts after the war.  It was only until the 80s when Ileana was welcomed back into the family - sort of.

Ileana was a woman of compassion - and she cared deeply about Roumania - but she saw the need to sleep with someone who could help her.  Elisabeth was nothing more than a narcisstic, nymphomaniac
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2004, 04:56:51 PM »
AbbessNiece, I also thank you for the wonderful information re: Mother Alexandra, nee Princess Ileana.

I, too, have not read one positive word re: her older sister, Elizabeth . . . and maybe she doesn't deserve one!

In checking the photos that were taken during the occasion of the Russian Imperial Family's visit to Romania in 1914, I've noted that all the Romanian royal children were present and accounted for . . . except for Elizabeth. So, where was she!?

Offline AbbessNiece

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2004, 09:17:19 PM »
My research paper is finished!  Anyone who would like to read it can email me at jedianja@hotmail.com  :)

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2004, 04:35:54 AM »
Marlene we really ought to thank you for the succinct summation of this rather intriguing thread.  So much has been hinted at in an obscure fashion that it is a relief at last to hear the facts plainly stated.
As a result I haven't read anything that detracts from my opinion of Pcss Ileana; she still seems to me to be an interesting and complex woman with remarkable courage, determination and compassion.  Her mistakes, if they be labelled such, merely accentuate her fascinating personality.
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
    • Queen Victoria's Granddaughters
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2004, 05:51:55 PM »
Com'on Art, I was just curious about the contretemps not wanting to hear bad things about people....

Anyhow, Ileana was a beautiful little child, and my "hausfrau" comment was to do with when she was a young woman.  I must have seen unflattering photos, and was pleased to see a beautiful one of her.

Mignon was also a beautiful child (actually, they all were), but as was already said, she got very large when she was a young woman.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Booksvanhoog
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2004, 11:03:05 AM »
I've heard about a famous lyric in a letter of Queen Marie to her cousin King George. It's about a specific part of land in neigbor countries of Romania. It is such like...

I've we are at the winning hand I like to have......(folowing by 2 or 3 old provinces of Romania, in 1914-18 beloning to neigbor countries). Certainly those names say you nothing, but you can find them on the map.

It's something like that. Its'in a letter written in World War 2. Its written so passiontly if find..

But who can tell me the exact lyrics in that letter?

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Booksvanhoog
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2004, 11:10:29 AM »
I mean a letter written in WW1

Offline Elizabeth

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2004, 02:09:31 PM »
I posted in the wrong thread earlier about Mother Alexandra (thanks to Janet W. for steering me in the right direction!).

I'll PM you, AbbessNiece, on your article.  I stayed for a weekend in Ellwood City a few years ago and love your aunt -- and the other sisters -- dearly (yes, I'm Orthodox too).  I, unfortunately, didn't get time to send them a Nativity card this year like I usually do.  Hope they are all well.

Also, when I was last there, there was about a foot of snow on the ground, so I didn't get to visit Mother Alexandra's grave (or even see the cemetery).  Is it near the guest houses or closer to the main buildings?

For those who haven't seen a picture, you can go to www.oca.org and search under Holy Transfiguration Monastery (Ellwood City, PA).  It's truly heaven on earth there!

Offline AlexeiLVR

• Boyar
  • H.I.H Heir Tsarevich Alexei Nicholaevich
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2005, 01:26:15 PM »
omg! i can't believe Alexei told Ileana he will come back and merri her! is not fair! lol! i wish i lived in his times and married him! but i wish he survived first!

Offline Frederika

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • queen frederika
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2005, 11:08:32 AM »
this one is a mistery to me i cant fined any thing about her all i no she became a nun at some stage?

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2005, 11:24:27 AM »
this one is a mistery to me i cant fined any thing about her all i no she became a nun at some stage?

It's a mystery to me too that you cannot find anything ... well for starters, you might try reading different biographies on her mother, Queen Marie (hannah Pakula, Terence Elsberry), or Paul Quinlan's The Playboy King (about Carol II)  or her own memoirs I live Again or her book about her hospital, Hospital of the Queen's Heart ...  
You will also find information about her in my book, Queen Victoria;s Descendants - - and if you are able to find a library that has the New York Times - just go through the indexes from the 1920s to her death - many articles ... When I worked for the Associated Press, I helped one of our Pittsburgh staffers prepare for an interview with Ileana (and I got a set of the photos as a thank you).  That profile ran in numerous US newspapers.
Royalty Digest did at least one article on Ileana (and her sister), the Red princesses because of their colloboration with the Communists.

Lots of material ...

Offline Frederika

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • queen frederika
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2005, 12:28:46 PM »
thanks  it is diffrent as i dont live in the states by the way who is the red princess is it Elisavatha or Marie migyon as she was queen of yugoslavia i doudt she was in kahoots whith the communists?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by frederika »

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2005, 04:02:34 PM »
thanks  it is diffrent as i dont live in the states by the way who is the red princess is it Elisavatha or Marie migyon as she was queen of yugoslavia i doudt she was in kahoots whith the communists?

You don't have to live in the states to find the aforementioned books ... I presume your country has libraries -- and you can access the NYTimes and the Washington Post archives right on their sites (costs money, of course.)

Elisabetha and Ileana were known as the Red princesses .. Elisabetha allowed her home to be used by Greek Communists plotting the overthrown of the Greek monarchy, and Ileana had an affair with a major Communist official -(she did it to keep her hospital open), but neither sister was trusted by Helen and Michael.