Author Topic: Vasily Filatov / GD Kyrill  (Read 2941 times)

Offline rjt

• View Profile
Vasily Filatov / GD Kyrill
« on: June 09, 2004, 07:21:50 AM »
Okay, I admit I hadn't heard of this particular person before stumbling across this amazon website:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0810932776/002-5047117-2979207?v=glance&vi=excerpt

What I found most interesting here was the large block of quote from GD Kyrill. Does anyone know where this came from? Interesting how he manages to portray his self-serving treason in a wonderfully patriotic light.

Comments?
Is it an alarm clock or a calling that gets you out of bed each day? --Christopher Maluck, The Matthew Shepard Foundation

Offline Daniel Briere

• Graf
    • View Profile
Re: Vasily Filatov / GD Kyrill
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 09:19:00 PM »
Hi,

The quote from Grand Duke Kirill Vladimirovich is from his own memoirs, published under the title of  « My life in Russia’s Service – Then and Now » (Selwyn & Blount, London, 1939). They were reprinted by Royalty Digest in 1995.

As many others who wrote their memoirs after the Revolution, including General Voeikov (whose account of the events are second hand as he wasn’t in Petrograd during the February Revolution), the Grand Duke did some creative writing!   Naturally he made no mention of the Grand Dukes’ plot to get rid of Nicholas and Alexandra but had this interesting sentence : « The ones who paved the way to the revolution were those who owed their high positions to the Emperor. »
Daniel Briere