Author Topic: What  did the Tsar collect?  (Read 3558 times)

Offline JD

• Boyar
    • View Profile
What  did the Tsar collect?
« on: December 06, 2004, 04:55:17 PM »
I have read that Nicholas was an avid collector of...cufflinks! Can anyone confirm this? What other things did he collect? He really seems for the most part quite spartan and dull in his tastes. I cannot see him as a great collector of art or antiquities. What about Alexander III?

OTOH I imagine the Kaiser was much too militarist and pompous to bother collecting but what about Edward VII or George V?

I also wonder how Kings acquired their objects. Did they simply employ public antiques dealers to spot requested objects for them?

Offline felix

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: What  did the Tsar collect?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 06:41:37 PM »
JD, Stamps, thats  something  he liked F.

Offline londo954

• Graf
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 08:55:50 PM »
From what I understand Nicholas Had a splendid Stamp collection but he alos like to collected knieves and swords which were displayed on te walls of his bathroom at the AP as well as Budhas and cigarette cases. as you can see in virtually every casual phot he is smoking. From the infor on this site for his recpetion room he also liked to collect pipes....

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 02:18:38 AM »
I have heard that he liked russian comics magazine very much.
And such magazines were in his study room in the Alexandr Palace

Sunny

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 05:20:46 PM »
Have read that his stamp collection was extensive, and
that after the Revolution it was broken up, some being sold, with considerable sections "disappearing". Does anyone know more about this collection ?

Sunny
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Sunny »

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 05:34:01 PM »
In the Lost Fortune of the Tsars by William Clarke, it says:

"the collection arose, not as in George V's case out philatelic enthusiasm, but out of the Romanov tercentenary celebrations in 1913. These naturally included the issue of a specially commissioned set of stamps, covering both Nicholas and his predecessors from Peter the Great onwards, as well the engravings of the Winter Palace and the Kremlin......they were finally issued on January 02, 1913 and Zarrins (Director of the Imperial State Printing Office) had two separate sets produced, including essays and proofs, one for Nicholas and one for himself. Nicholas' set was in two handsome leather volumes and contained a total of 1,274 individual items......"

It then gives a few theories as to how Nicholas' collection went from Tobolsk to other places and then says,

"Whatever the source, the first substantive evidence of the collection's survival was the display and catalogue for the New York exhibition of 1926 by Mr. Georg (I don't know if this is a spelling mistake of not) Jaeger of Lobau in Latvia. He claimed that he was offering the tsar's full collection and, as an added inducement to potential buyers, he quoted the then head of the Soviet Printing Office as confirming that duplicates were now impossible as all the original matrices and patterns had been destroyed in 1918......The Revd Tann's present view is that only half of the tsar's collection was actually offered in New York in 1926 and that the other volume of Nicholas' collection came out separately and was broken up by dealers. He also believed that Zarinns' collection, which Zarrin, too, sold on the market, was maintained intact at least until the mid-1980's. After attracting a meagre $7,000 in 1967, it was for $65,000 twelve years later. It's present whereabouts is not known.

Even the Tsar's single volume that first emerged in New York did not survive intact for very long. A London dealer broke it up into 'several substantial sections' in 1930. These were basically what are known as the 'proofs' from the original collection; the rarer rejected 'essays' from the total collection are thought to have been in the tsar's second volume, which was broken up earlier. The later are on offer, from time to time, for prices upwards of 400 each, while 'proofs' attract around 100 each."

Hope that helped.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Ortino »

Sunny

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 03:53:19 PM »
Dear Ortino,

I read Mr. Clarke's book several years ago, and didn't remember the mention of the Tsar's stamps.  :-[

Thank you for taking the time to post such a helpful response.

Best,

Sunny

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2005, 06:31:28 PM »
That's alright Sunny, you're quite welcome. :) It was mentioned under the section discussing plunder taken from the IF after their death. I found the stamp collection very interesting.