Author Topic: Queen Isabel (Isabella) II of Spain and her family  (Read 133041 times)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Queen Isabel (Isabella) II of Spain and her family
« Reply #165 on: October 08, 2008, 07:15:17 PM »
I wonder if there is a good bio on Queen Dowager Maria Cristina (princess of Naples). Most books dealt only with her political life. I would love to know her relationship with both her royal daughters and yes even her non-royal ones too.

Offline umigon

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • My Family Tree
« Reply #166 on: October 09, 2008, 04:31:17 PM »

She was a tender mother to her Muñoz children and Luisa Fernanda, but she was somewhat more cold and distant towards Isabel. The reasons as to why she conducted herself that way are unknown to me, but Isabel always seeked recognition and love from her mother. And Maria Cristina gave it, but in a more moderate way than she gave it to her other children. Their relationship grew closer through the years, particularly during the years of exile in France.
Gonzalo Velasco Berenguer

My Family Tree: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=umigon

Royal Families: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=gondan

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 10, 2008, 12:35:36 PM »
I think it was because Isabel was queen and Maria Cristina view her as politics than family.

Offline tecklenburg

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 11, 2008, 05:54:01 AM »
wonderfull picture
The Infantas look so close to their mother. Isabel looks so tenderfull with them. It's lovely.
Are there any pictures showing Francisco with Alfonso? or Isabel with their son ?

Pilar was prettier than her younger sisters. Sadly she died too young. She would have probably made a appropriate wife for a crown prince. Where there plans to marry her ? with whom?
When I look at the sisters marriages, i see that they always marry with young princes who were living in Spain. Was ist a strategy of Isabel II to keep her daughters near her, like queen Victoria with daughters Helena, Louise & Beatrice?
If I am right, then Pilar would have probably married another prince living in Spain, or with one Bourbon mother. Maybe a son of Sebastian& Cristina ? or another son of King Ferdinando II ?

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 11, 2008, 10:59:39 AM »
wonderfull picture
The Infantas look so close to their mother. Isabel looks so tenderfull with them. It's lovely.
Are there any pictures showing Francisco with Alfonso? or Isabel with their son ?

Pilar was prettier than her younger sisters. Sadly she died too young. She would have probably made a appropriate wife for a crown prince. Where there plans to marry her ? with whom?
When I look at the sisters marriages, i see that they always marry with young princes who were living in Spain. Was ist a strategy of Isabel II to keep her daughters near her, like queen Victoria with daughters Helena, Louise & Beatrice?
If I am right, then Pilar would have probably married another prince living in Spain, or with one Bourbon mother. Maybe a son of Sebastian& Cristina ? or another son of King Ferdinando II ?

Oh, no, tecklenburg...Isabel was not trying to keep her daughters near her as queen Victoria did. In fact, only the eldest daughter, Isabel, was living with her mother when she was married to Gaetano count Girgenti. The younger daughters, Paz and Eulalia, were married so much later, when they were living at the Royal Palace of Madrid, and their mother, Isabel, was living far away, at the Palace of Castilla in Paris. The marriages of the three infantas were not arranged with "young princes who were living in Spain". As far as I know, Gaetano count Girgenti was living in Vienna and he cames to Spain to marry Isabel. Ludwig Ferdinand, Paz´s husband, was born in Spain since her mother was a spanish infanta, but I was living in Bavaria and Paz moved from Madrid to Munich with her husband. Only Eulalia married a spanish prince, Antonio de Orleans.

As for Pilar, I´ve read Isabel II was talking with her friend empress Eugenie of France about a wedding between the Prince Imperial and Pilar.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 11, 2008, 01:14:29 PM »
Indeed...Pilar could have made a splendid Empress of France. I heard that when he died in Zululand, she was heartbroken. But I thought so was Prioncess Beatrice. I agree Pilar seemed to be the beauty of the family.

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 11, 2008, 05:03:24 PM »
Yes, Eric, I´ve read the same thing about princess Beatrice. Maybe Eugenie had her doubts about the two girls. Eugenie was friend of the queen Isabel and of the queen Victoria; she was spanish, but after the fall of the Second Empire, she was living in England. The advantage of Pilar: she was a catholic roman princess. Beatrice was anglican.

When Isabel II and Francisco de Asis were to exile in France, Pilar, Paz an Eulalia were in their childhood. Napoleon III and Eugenie were a very supportive couple to the spanish royal family, they helped them to settle in France and they often appeared with gifts for the little infantas. Pilar, Paz and Eulalia were the most happiest children when emperor Napoleon gave them three beautiful dolls with a lot of dresses ;) Prince Alfonso has a friendship with the Prince Imperial, and the three girls knew so well the Prince Imperial. Pilar fell in love with him when she was too young. Of course, when he was dead, she felt devastated.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 11, 2008, 07:38:17 PM »
A lost chance for France.

Offline tecklenburg

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 12, 2008, 02:17:26 AM »
Oh yes Eric !
it would have been so nice. Napoleon III, Eugenie, with Prince & Princess Imperial & grandchildren. I'm sure that Pilar would have followed his mother & given to her husband lots of children. What would have been their titles? Princes of France? The princess imperial would have charmed everyone in France.
but I can't imagine that Napoleon IV & Empress Maria del Pilar having a peacefull reign...Unfortunatelly,  it ends everytime with a revolution in France! Poor Loulou & Pilar, French could regret them.

Offline REMI

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 12, 2008, 02:36:41 AM »

. Pilar fell in love with him when she was too young. Of course, when he was dead, she felt devastated.

In 1870, when the Second Empire collapsed, Pilar was only...9 years. How can you say that a child of this age falls in love?
Prince imperial accompanied his parents in England. Pilar would never see him again.
He was killed by the Zulus on June 1st 1879. Pilar died on August 5, in Escoriaza, Basque Country in France. She was consumptive....Can we say that she died of love as "La Dame aux camélias"??

REMI

Offline REMI

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 12, 2008, 02:42:05 AM »

I wonder why...French people do not  want kings, queen,  princes and princesses anymore.

REMI

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 12, 2008, 02:45:42 AM »
No, Remi, I don´t think she was died of love as La Dame aux Camélias. I just said she was devastated when she was noticed Prince Imperial was dead. I know Pilar was very young when Second Empire collapsed, but a few good authors wrotte about Pilar keeping a childish infatuation about Prince Imperial, so she was so happy when Isabel II had a chat with Eugenie about a wedding between the prince and the infanta.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 06:04:41 PM by trentk80 »

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 12, 2008, 02:47:37 AM »

I wonder why...French people do not  want kings, queen,  princes and princesses anymore.

REMI

I agree with you at this point. The wedding or not wedding between Prince Imperial and Pilar was not an interesting issue for the most of the french people...

Offline REMI

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 12, 2008, 02:51:06 AM »
, French could regret them.

Do you believe that ? French people couldn't care less !

REMI

Offline REMI

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 12, 2008, 06:48:24 AM »
Remember the words of Isabel to her son Alfonso: "All that you have from the Bourbon, you got it from me".

Dear Yseult, I am very interested in this Isabel II's statement . Would you mind telling me where I can find it?

REMI
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 01:30:43 AM by trentk80 »