Author Topic: Victoria Eugenia of Battenberg, Queen of Spain  (Read 232949 times)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Victoria Eugenia of Battenberg, Queen of Spain
« Reply #270 on: December 30, 2012, 10:04:24 PM »
Did they meet again after they split up ?

Yes, they met a number of times after their exile and separation.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 31, 2012, 11:10:46 AM »
I think he lived in Rome, although I don't know where. He also stayed with Dickie Mountbatten for awhile...

Offline Gabriella

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 31, 2012, 07:14:20 PM »
Yes. But they never divorce...unlike royals today.

Alfonso XIII was raised Roman Catholic and Victoria-Eugenia converted to the Roman Catholic faith. They were married to the rites of the Roman Catholic church. Had they, the King and the Queen of Spain, wanted to divorce they would have needed the consent of the Pope and the Roman Church which was not easy to get.

Due to my humble opinion it is possible that the Pope would have rejected their request for a divorce or a dissolution of their marriage.

I also could imagine that Ena had not thought of divorce for she had in mind what happened to her cousin Victoria-Melita after her divorce from Grandduke
Ernst-Ludwig. Remember that Ducky was avoided by many of her relatives and other royals for they thought her guilty for the collapse of the marriage.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 01, 2013, 01:39:24 AM »
Mot sure about what Ena thought about Ducky, but she was close to Missy, who offered her own villa for Ena when she began her exile from Spain.

Ducky was formally invited to both the weddings of Sybilla of Coburg in Coburg & Marina of Greece in London.

Offline carl fraley

• Boyar
  • Honor and Fidelity
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 02, 2013, 03:08:09 AM »
Big difference between the two as well. While both ,
May have been granddaughters of queen Victoria, ena was "partially raised" and VERY heavily influenced  by her as well, this has been very well documented. Ena used her"gangan" as her compass throughout her turmoultous adult life .  Ducky, was primarily raised outside of queen Victoria's sphere and later in Germany.  IMO , divorce would never have entered Ena's mind.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 03:10:41 AM by carlfraley »

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 02, 2013, 08:53:41 AM »
Well. Ena was less intense in her passions as Ducky. Most certainly she would not will herself to death when her marriage failed.

Offline LauraO

• Boyar
  • You cannot imagine the half of my suffering.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 07, 2013, 01:53:45 PM »
They were actually very lucky that they were both free of the "Royal Disease" that plagued the life of their mother. It was feared that they were carriers too.

Was there any definitive way at the time to know if women were or were not carriers? I thought that by producing children free from the royal disease this didnt necessarily prove you were not a carrier, but rather that the "faulty" chromosone just might not have been passed?   I'm not sure so please correct me! I thought that there was as much a chance of passing on the unaffected chromosone? I might be completley wrong, been a while since ive read extensivley on it! :)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #277 on: January 07, 2013, 02:15:11 PM »
I don't think there was a definitive way to rule women out--having children free of the disease could've just been luck. Obviously, they were ruled in if they had a child with the disease. Women who may have had the gene but didn't have children are sometimes suspected--particularly Ella who had 2 sisters who were carriers. Queen Victoria's daughter Louise was also childless and it is speculated she could've been a carrier but no one will ever know. There wasn't any blood testing to be done at the time--it was pretty much reactive. Empress Friedrich considered the possibility of close relations increasing the chances when she commissioned a study for a possible marriage of Wilhelm to Ella.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 07, 2013, 03:23:33 PM »
Yes. But I think Willy bore a grudge against her for opposing the match, and Dona (while healthy) wasn't the daughter-in-law she hoped. Also she did not oppose when Heinrich propose to Irene, which proves Vicky's presumptions correct.

Alfonso XIII knew the disease was in the family (two of his brother-in-law suffered from it) of Ena, yet he gambled. In the end, he did blame her.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #279 on: January 07, 2013, 04:19:12 PM »
Not to get off topic, but it was easier to gamble on Henry marrying Irene (a love match) when his elder brother had several healthy sons already. If Henry was the heir, there may have been more considerations of the health impact. Vicky was no fool.

Alfonso tried to dodge later on and claim he was somehow kept in the dark about the risks but it seems the truth is, he gambled and lost. Ena looked the picture of health and he took a chance. Fate, in that they also had a deaf-mute son (nothing to do with hemophilia) and a stillborn son, decided to only bestow one completely healthy son on them. If not for an illness and the stillbirth, they would've had 2 or 3 (depending on whether the stillborn son would've been afflicted) out of 5 healthy sons otheriwise.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 07, 2013, 05:27:47 PM »
I think somehow Willy knew his suit for Ella wasn't going to be accepted so he dropped it. Had Ella given him any encouragement, he would have married her and risk it.

Indeed. Although Juan was completely healthy and so was Jaime too (he had another problem).

Offline lady

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 11, 2014, 11:28:37 AM »

Argentinian publicity of water.

Offline lady

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 11, 2014, 11:30:01 AM »

Offline lady