Author Topic: Victoria Eugenia of Battenberg, Queen of Spain  (Read 232929 times)

bluetoria

Re: Victoria Eugenia of Battenberg, Queen of Spain
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2005, 03:54:00 AM »
What has happend to the House of Battenburg? Which part of Germany did they come from and did Ena Change her name to Mountbatton later on.

Hello Frederika,  :)
Battenberg was really a courtesy title given to the morganatic wife & children of Prince Alexander of Hesse because they was not allowed to share the Prince's title, as their mother was of 'lower birth'.

Ena would not have needed to change her name to Mountbatten because, by the time the others changed their names (1917), she was already Queen of Spain.

All the Battenbergs raised in England (the children of Henry & Louis) therefore became Mountbattens (so the name Battenberg died out). I am not sure whether or not Franzjos had any children??  

The original title Battenberg came from the name of a village in the north of Hesse. The title had once been held by knights but had died out centuries before it was revived for Julia - Alexander's wife. (It was the Grand Duke of Hesse, Louis III who gave Countess Battenberg that name.)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by bluetoria »

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2005, 10:59:22 AM »
What has happend to the House of Battenburg? Which part of Germany did they come from and did Ena Change her name to Mountbatton later on.

Princess Andrew of Greece, neé Princess Alice of Battenberg (1885-1969) was the "last" of the Battenbergs.  Neither her nor her first cousin Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain changed their name to Mountbatten.  Both being married to foreign royals, it was not thought necessary to do.

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline Frederika

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • queen frederika
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2005, 02:32:47 PM »
thats very true, anyway to change the subject did Ena ever return to spain did franco alow her to live in the palace or somthing?

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2005, 11:03:07 PM »
I don't believe she ever returned to Spain--certainly not to live. She continued her life in exile in Switzerland. She would've only returned to lay in the waiting area before burial in El Escorial.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2005, 09:00:29 PM »
I don't believe she ever returned to Spain--certainly not to live. She continued her life in exile in Switzerland. She would've only returned to lay in the waiting area before burial in El Escorial.

In February 1968 Queen Victoria Eugenia arrived at Barajas International Airport to a rapturous welcoming extended to her by thousands of Spaniards.  Everywhere she went to, thousands and thousands of people followed and driving around Madrid became quite difficult.  The Liria Palace, home of the Dukes of Alba, and where the Queen stayed during her visit, was surrounded by people during Victoria Eugenia's visit.

It was her fist visit since the ignominy of exile and the hurried departure in April of 1931, and it would be her last visit to Spain.

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline Andy

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2005, 05:51:10 AM »
Hi

I’m currently working on an essay of Queen Victoria Eugenia, Queen Ena, in her post-War years leading up to her return to Spain for her great-grandson’s christening, and I’ve spent quite a substantial bit on her move to Lausanne from England after the second war.  I was hoping to include a picture of La Vieille Fontaine in the essay but I’ve been looking now for sometime (and not very successfully!) on the Internet and certain books but haven’t been able to find anything.  I know, well I’ve read, that it is next door to Museum L’Elysee but I still haven’t been able to track any picture down.  

I was wondering if any of you knew where the was a picture, or if you had one if you could kindly post it.  I’ve read the post that states a private company has it and was wondering if any knew which company?  

Well thank you all in advance for your help, I’m sure someone will be able to point me in the right direction. :)

Regards

Sebastien

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2005, 06:57:25 AM »

In February 1968 Queen Victoria Eugenia arrived at Barajas International Airport to a rapturous welcoming extended to her by thousands of Spaniards.  Everywhere she went to, thousands and thousands of people followed and driving around Madrid became quite difficult.  The Liria Palace, home of the Dukes of Alba, and where the Queen stayed during her visit, was surrounded by people during Victoria Eugenia's visit.

It was her fist visit since the ignominy of exile and the hurried departure in April of 1931, and it would be her last visit to Spain.

Arturo Beéche

Arturo,

Whay did she not just stay in Spain in 1968?

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline umigon

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • My Family Tree
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2005, 04:26:43 PM »

Well, the reason why Queen Victoria Eugenia didn't stay in Spain was that she simply did'nt wanted to!

Firstly she couldn't forgive that 37 years before Spain had made herself and her family flee to other countries.

Secondly and most important, she felt General Franco had betrayed and deceived both her husband and, most important, her beloved son. She used to call Franco ''The Pig'', so I don't think she would have liked to live under his protection which, on the other hand, I doubt Franco would have asked her for it.

Finally and least important (or maybe not so unimportant!) she was 81 years of age and she would die the year after. Maybe she just felt she was dying and wanted to die in her beloved Lausanne!
Gonzalo Velasco Berenguer

My Family Tree: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=umigon

Royal Families: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=gondan

Offline darius

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2005, 08:49:33 AM »
I believe that she would only return once Spain had become a monarchy with a King ie. her son or grandson.

Offline Andy

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2005, 03:13:33 PM »
Sebastian--I don't have a photo but perhaps you could contact Laussane tourism? I've found from traveling around that local tourism centers are very helpful.

Thank you for your advice, and to all the others who contacted me.

I was also wondering whether anybody knew the name of the artist who painted Victoria Eugenia in 1955?  It is reproduced in Gerald Noel's biography on her (page 280) and it shows her in her Drawing Room at La Vieille Fontaine.  Unfortunately Mr Noel does give any details on the painting apart from it was painted in 1955.

Also, does anybody know whether she attended Elizabeth II coronation in 1953?  One article I read said she did the other stated that she didn't.

Once again, many thanks on the help regarding Vieille Fontaine.

Sebastian

P.S. Regarding remaining in Spain, it would never have been an option politically and practically as Franco only allowed her to visit for the baptism and it was officially a private family visit and nothing else.  She only wanted to attempt to show a unified family front and to promote the claims Don Juan.  She had worried that Franco may pass over Don Juan and Juan Carlos for someone else – namely Hugo Carlos of Bourbon-Parma who represented the Carlist claim.  Also, Queen Ena had undergone the trip against medical advice and was being treated by doctors in Lausanne, which had been her home for 20 years by then.  Her trip was a success, despite being short, and she could in her own words “die happy”.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 03:58:46 PM by trentk80 »

Offline darius

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2005, 08:28:53 AM »
I don´t think that Queen consorts are permitted to attend coronations of British Monarchs for some reason. I remember reading that Prince Philips aunt queen Louise of Sweden was upset at not being allowed to attend.

bluetoria

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2005, 08:57:02 AM »
I think protocol forbids any monarchs or their consorts attending any other coronation. Is it something to do with difficulties in precedence?

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2005, 10:03:47 AM »
That is part of it. I think the main reason is to prevent any visiting monarchs "stealing the show". Or, more "olden days" using the occassion for politicking.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2005, 04:34:24 PM »

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2005, 04:36:37 PM »
Portrait of Mrs. Phyllis Walter witch was de Laszlo's inspiration for similar portrait of Queen Ena,done also by him!