Author Topic: Victoria Eugenia of Battenberg, Queen of Spain  (Read 257875 times)

Offline isabel

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria Eugenia of Battenberg, Queen of Spain
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2005, 04:00:34 AM »
When Bee and Ali felt in love, the Queen Mother of Spain (Maria Cristina) and the King, were happy and agree with the posible marriage, admitting nevertheless that her religion was a problem, because Bee didn´t want to change her religion. The Queen Mother, in person, told her in San Sebastian, that she would marry Ali if she adquired the commitment to educate their posible children in the catholic faiht.

Also, Alfonso XIII manifested verbally to his cousin his agreement to marry Bee.

In february 1909, Portuguese´s press, published that Bee would marry the young king of Portugal , Manuel II, in a future, but the princess was already engaged personaly with Ali. In July 1909, in Coburg, they married, it was a mixed married state, valid for the Catholic Church with the obligation of educate their children as catholics.

But in Spain, the governement, Antonio Maura, had denied the official permission, in spite of the verbal agreement of the King.

The fact is that Ali was deprived of his title of Infante of Spain and separated of his military carreer.

A very unjust decision.....Ali´s parents didn´t affront the King, only Grand Duchess Maria, Bee´s mother, defended the young couple with very hard telegrams sended to the Queen Mother and the King.

I supose that Ena was not agree with all this.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2005, 09:53:16 AM »
Bee was the sister Ena never had. When Bee was dumped by Misha, Marie Coburg arrange a trip to the East for Bee and Ena was tagged along as a confident. Of course Ena would be unhappy at her cousin's distress, and in the end, Their relationship survived the pitfall.  ;)

Offline Jackswife

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2005, 02:37:58 PM »
 As always, beauty is often in the ey of the beholder  ;) but I think Ena's dignity and grace in the face of many tragedies and troubles added to her beauty. Even in old age she had a quality of serenity and elegance that was very appealing. Sadly, of course, Ella and the Tsarina did not live to the age that Ena attained, but I still think she was their equal in looks and distinction.

Offline RomanovFan

• Knyaz
  • THE BIG PAIR, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2005, 02:55:52 AM »
What was the reaction of the guests after the bomb attack on Alfonso and Ena after the ceremony? I know the Infanta isabel, duchess of Girgenti, was the one who broke the news to everyone, I guess there was a lot fo tension...andy photos on the attack? i've only seen one in my life which is quite famous. Plus, how many died? I know Ena came back with someone else's blood on her white wedding dress.... a bad omen of what wasto come, no doubt...

What happenend there exactly? A bomb went off in the carriage or something? Similar to assassination of Alexander II, does anyone know why it happenend?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 05:51:45 PM by trentk80 »
~LESLIE~

ROMANOV FAN SINCE 1997

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2005, 06:34:23 AM »
The would-be assassin was a deranged Spaniard called Mateo Morral who was first foiled in an attempt  in the church. As the wedding procession arrived at the Calle Mayor, the King and Queen's coach stopped, at that moment a huge floral bouquet was thrown from a nearby balcony by Morral. Hidden in the bouquet was a bomb which exploded with tremendous impact, killing 37 people and injuring over one hundred.
After being captured Morral shot dead the policeman who arrested him and then shot himself.
Member of the Richard III Society

Offline cimbrio

• Knyaz
  • Für Ludwig II
    • View Profile
    • GonDan's Royalty Family Trees
« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2005, 07:02:01 AM »
The qwedding reception was also total caos. Fortunately, the King's aunt, Infanta Isabel, re-organized everything and told everyone where to sit (even in the cathedral), but there was a huge hullabaloo when the new Queen Ena arrived with her dress stained with spots of blood. Queen Ena's reaction during the explosion was highly criticized, as she remained calm and cold, while it would have been much better if she had broken into hysterics (following Spaniards' reactions in such cases). Some of the victims were onlookers, even some were looking from the balconies while they cheered and threw flowers on the couple.

Mateo Morral came from Barcelona, was 25 years of age, manufacturer, dark eyes, medium height and slightly chubby. He had a moustache and was at the time elegantly dressed.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 05:52:21 PM by trentk80 »

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2005, 07:47:09 AM »
Yes...but when Ena went back into the palace, she broke down privately and cried "I saw a man without legs ! ". Fortunately or unfortunately, she recovered her composure before going into public with her calm and cold face... :-/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2005, 11:38:32 AM »
George V was rather surprised at his aunt Marie Coburg's reaction of 'in Russia we are so used to this sort of thing'. She seemed completely blase having lost a father and brother (Serge) to assassin's bombs.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2005, 11:40:03 AM »
Apparently MM had obtained a press pass (or something like that) to gain access to the Church during the ceremony and planned to set off the bomb there. There was very tight security though and apparently someone turned him away. Could've been quite the disaster had he succeeded in gaining entrance as the Cathedral was packed.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 29, 2005, 01:21:01 PM »
If the bomb had gone off in the church, most of the heads of the ruling houses of Eurpe would have been killed
Member of the Richard III Society

Offline bell_the_cat

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I am he, who will bell the cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 29, 2005, 02:33:23 PM »
There's a play by Federigo Garcia Lorca called "Blood Wedding" - "Bodas de Sangre". It's nothing to do with Ena and Alfonso, but I can't help feeling that he must have had this occasion in mind, when he chose the title.

It must be the worst wedding ever (apart from Margot and Henri 1572!).  :(
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by bell_the_cat »
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after tomorrow. (Mark Twain)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 30, 2005, 09:44:40 AM »
I think Magot's was much worse ! At least Ena and Alfonso XIII were cheered at their escape. Nobody was left to Cheer Henry & Magot...they are all dead !  :o :o :o

Offline Luke

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 02, 2006, 06:52:34 PM »
There are so many things I'd like to know about Ena and the English language biographies on her are thoroughly inadequate.  I'd like to know about her reaction, and the reaction of the Spanish court, to the death of her brother during WWI.  I'd like to know her interactions with Victoria of Hesse-Darmstadt (Princess Louis of Battenberg) and their correspondence.  I'd like to know what was in the letters she wrote to George V to get him to act to save the life of Prince Andrew of Greece during the 1922 Greek coup.  I'd like to know why Queen Maria Cristina left none of her important jewelry to Ena.  I'd like to know about her friendship with Marjorie Merriweather Post.  I'd like to more about her love affair with opera and her interaction with the leading opera stars of the day.  I'd like to know about her correspondence with Kaiser Wilhelm while he was in exile (not well known is the fact that the Kaiser was a spano-phile and knew the history of Spain, Castile, Aragon, Navarra, etc., to an amazing degree).  I'd like to know how her dress style influenced Spanish street fashion.  I'd like to know what happened to her diaries and correspondence after the Republican election and whether they were preserved or burned.

She really needs a great biographer.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 02, 2006, 07:50:52 PM »
Yes...I think she needs another accessment. I have a friend who was lucky to read Ena and Bee's correspondence through the years. It was he who told me abit about their complex relationship and how they manage to memain friends till the end.  ;)

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2006, 08:22:38 AM »
Here is a photo of them in wedding outfits, but from what I've heard it was pieced together later since they were never seen side by side before the dress was ruined in the explosion.

I have another one of them leaving for their honeymoon but can't find it now. They look so young, only 19 and 20.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Annie »