Author Topic: Victoria Eugenia of Battenberg, Queen of Spain  (Read 234344 times)

Offline Jackswife

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria Eugenia of Battenberg, Queen of Spain
« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2005, 02:37:58 PM »
 As always, beauty is often in the ey of the beholder  ;) but I think Ena's dignity and grace in the face of many tragedies and troubles added to her beauty. Even in old age she had a quality of serenity and elegance that was very appealing. Sadly, of course, Ella and the Tsarina did not live to the age that Ena attained, but I still think she was their equal in looks and distinction.

Offline Luke

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2006, 06:52:34 PM »
There are so many things I'd like to know about Ena and the English language biographies on her are thoroughly inadequate.  I'd like to know about her reaction, and the reaction of the Spanish court, to the death of her brother during WWI.  I'd like to know her interactions with Victoria of Hesse-Darmstadt (Princess Louis of Battenberg) and their correspondence.  I'd like to know what was in the letters she wrote to George V to get him to act to save the life of Prince Andrew of Greece during the 1922 Greek coup.  I'd like to know why Queen Maria Cristina left none of her important jewelry to Ena.  I'd like to know about her friendship with Marjorie Merriweather Post.  I'd like to more about her love affair with opera and her interaction with the leading opera stars of the day.  I'd like to know about her correspondence with Kaiser Wilhelm while he was in exile (not well known is the fact that the Kaiser was a spano-phile and knew the history of Spain, Castile, Aragon, Navarra, etc., to an amazing degree).  I'd like to know how her dress style influenced Spanish street fashion.  I'd like to know what happened to her diaries and correspondence after the Republican election and whether they were preserved or burned.

She really needs a great biographer.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2006, 07:50:52 PM »
Yes...I think she needs another accessment. I have a friend who was lucky to read Ena and Bee's correspondence through the years. It was he who told me abit about their complex relationship and how they manage to memain friends till the end.  ;)

Offline Luke

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2006, 12:58:46 PM »
The Eastman Collection has a great series of gelatin photos of Ena and Alfonso, as well as the Palacio Real, taken prior to 1910.

Located here:  http://www.geh.org/ar/strip06/htmlsrc/chusseau_sld00001.html#75:0111:3222

Be sure to hit the NEXT button after viewing the page because there are more and more fascinating photos.  Didn't Queen Maria Cristina ever smile?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Luke »

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2006, 12:02:55 AM »
Ena visiting her brother Maurice's gravesite in Ypres, France

They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2006, 05:26:43 PM »
Ena visiting her brother Maurice's gravesite in Ypres, France

I believe a very guilty Kaiser Wilhelm II sent Ena a telegram of condolence, and received the frostiest of frosty replies!
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline QueenEna1887

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2006, 10:55:11 PM »
Tell me about Ena as a youngin' Where did she live? Who were her tutors from the time she was a child until teen years? Did she speak fluent Spanish?

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2006, 09:58:11 AM »
I think Ena was educated at home with tutors. She spoke English, French and German (but not Spanish). when she met King Alfonso XIII, they converse in French.

Offline crazy_wing

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2006, 01:59:45 AM »
It doesn't seem like Ena received a lot of education.  I would assume she had a french governess as most upper class girls had back in those times.  

And when she was preparing to marry Alfonso, I read that she learned Spanish by herself from books and thus she didn't get too far.  I find it strange that she didn't ask for a tutor.  Her mother and future husband didn't hire one for her either...  

Agneschen

« Reply #99 on: February 08, 2006, 07:26:51 AM »
As a young man, Alfonso XIII was actually in love with Princess Louise of Orléans, youngest daughter of the count of Paris, and wished very much to marry her. However his mother Maria Cristina strongly opposed the match (she is said to have told him "Never an Orleans !") and he had to seek for a bride elsewhere. Princess Louise finally married Alfonso's cousin, Carlos of Bourbon-Sicily, Infant of Spain. This match is said to have been very happy (one of their daughters Mercedes actually married Alfonso & Ena's son Juan, count of Barcelona).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 10:52:58 PM by trentk80 »

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2006, 08:03:57 PM »
I thought Carlos's first wife was Alfonso XIII's sister Infanta Mecedes, who died in childbirth.  ???

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2006, 08:07:45 PM »
Another thing I don't like about books on Ena, they never tell of Ena's relationship with her in-laws. For example Louise of Orleans (Carlos's wife), the Infanta Aunts (Eulalia, Isabella "La Chata", and Paz) and Alfonso's sisters...Did they get along, what did they think of Ena and she them ??? I wanna know !  ???

Agneschen

« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2006, 06:44:18 AM »
I thought Carlos's first wife was Alfonso XIII's sister Infanta Mecedes, who died in childbirth.  ???

Louise was Carlos' 2nd wife.

Offline Keith

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2006, 01:14:10 PM »
Ena in 1888

Ena in 1891

Offline Keith

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!