Author Topic: Victoria Eugenia of Battenberg, Queen of Spain  (Read 293980 times)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria Eugenia of Battenberg, Queen of Spain
« Reply #150 on: September 03, 2008, 05:36:59 PM »
Yes I think apart from fashion magazines which I knew she actively read...

Offline Mandie, the Gothic Empress

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Olga.Tatiana.Maria.Anastasia + Alexei
    • View Profile
    • Romanovs of Russia
« Reply #151 on: September 05, 2008, 07:49:48 PM »
Ha ha... :)

I wonder if there more pics of her with her children as infancies with just mommy and baby, like the one I post of Ena with Jaime, i have seem tons of her with Alfonzo, but not a lot with the younger children. 

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 07, 2008, 01:14:18 PM »
I wonder who was her favourite child ?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 06:38:06 PM by trentk80 »

Offline Mandie, the Gothic Empress

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Olga.Tatiana.Maria.Anastasia + Alexei
    • View Profile
    • Romanovs of Russia
« Reply #153 on: September 13, 2008, 06:40:39 PM »
Ena got along very well with her daughters Beatriz and Maria Cristina. She loved her sons, but with two of them with bad health, one deaf and one health one.. i don't know of her relationship with her sons. 

Offline Halinka

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 04, 2008, 07:56:37 PM »
Oh no, I'm really sorry about this question. I must sound like a huge mega noob. I only know bits and pieces of the spanish royal family. Again sorry folks!

Ok, how come Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg declind the marriage propsoal of  Grand Duke Boris Vladimirovich of Russia?

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 05, 2008, 03:50:21 PM »
First of all, she doesn't love him. Secondly she does not want to change her religion. Thirdly she did not want to marry anyone just yet, coming out soon from the school room.

Offline Halinka

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 05, 2008, 06:39:12 PM »
But didn't she changed her relgion to roman caltholic so she could marry the king of spain?

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 06, 2008, 11:09:12 AM »
Yes...But she loved Alfonso. Secondly she would be a fool to say no to a thone, while Boris was only a grand duke and one with a bad reputation with women.

Offline Halinka

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 06, 2008, 11:21:53 AM »
Yes, but didn't Alfonso had nurmerous affairs as well?

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 06, 2008, 04:27:24 PM »
But Ena did not know that ! She and Alfonso were in their Spring time love, both young. Boris is a lot older than Ena. Also QV's dislike of Russia could have rubbed off on Ena as well.

I don't Think Coburgs naturally think too much when faced with a throne. Boris had numerous mistresses and even a possible fling with Missy (Ena's cousin). When Boris was presented as a suitor for Alicky's eldest daughter Olga, she was outraged. No Boris had a wild reputation as a playboy while Alfonso looked better in comparison.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 06:39:33 PM by trentk80 »

Offline Norbert

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 09, 2008, 04:39:48 AM »
The British Royal family were not very keen on a connection with the Romanov's  and it was confirmed with the Edinburgh marriage .

Offline CountessKate

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 09, 2008, 11:10:11 AM »
She grew up with Queen Victoria constantly moaning about the Romanovs, and it must have rubbed off.  Also, Boris had a well-deserved reputation as a philanderer, while Alfonso's reputation was not particularly blemished at that time . 

Her uncle Edward VII was very keen for his nieces to marry rulers, and Alfonso was incomporably better value than Boris as a genuine king, while Boris needed Nicholas II, Tsarervitch Alexis, and Grand Dukes Michael, his father Vladimir, and brother Kyrill to die off before he was in the same class as Alfonso.  While it wouldn't necessarily have been the deciding point for Ena, it certainly helped that senior members of her family were on Alfonso's side, he was about her age, considered good-looking (though the bar was considerably lower for royalty, and still is), and not generally known for having affairs.  I don't think it would have bothered her if Alfonso had had one or two experiences with women before marriage, a young Edwardian princess would pretty much expect that, and she wouldn't have thought it necessarily an indication of future problems - after all, Nicholas II and George V both had affairs before they married but made exemplary husbands afterwards.  Whereas Boris had a good decade being wild, and must have looked a much shakier prospect.

Offline umigon

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • My Family Tree
« Reply #162 on: October 09, 2008, 04:26:53 PM »

Alfonso was already a father when he married Ena (Roger Leveque de Vilmorin, born in 1905 to Melanie de Gaufridy), but he had conducted his affairs much more discreetly than he would do during his married life.
Gonzalo Velasco Berenguer

My Family Tree: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=umigon

Royal Families: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=gondan

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 10, 2008, 12:38:47 PM »
Yes...He wasn't as "used" as Alicky claimed Boris was, hense her choice was easier. In fact most royal bechelors had a mistress was not unusual. They were to take the royal virginity and made it easier for them to please their royal brides.

Offline belianis

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 07, 2008, 07:53:42 PM »
Was Don~a Victoria Eugenia Ena aware at the time of her death that her grandson would be appointed heir to the Crown of Spain?