Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty > Iberian Royal Families

King Juan Carlos & Queen Sofia of Spain

(1/77) > >>

Frederika:
did queen sofia ever expect to be queen of spain?
Juan carlos was not created crown prince untill 1969

Marlene:

--- Quote ---did queen sofia ever expect to be queen of spain?
Juan carlos was not created crown prince untill 1969
--- End quote ---

Juan Carlos was not created Crown Prince.  He was created Prince of Spain, but was largely acknowledged to be Franco's heir due to an agreement between Juan Carlos' father and Franco.  There are several good bios in English that discuss all this.  One is by a Briton, Paul Preston, and was published a few years ago.

Eurohistory:
Actually don Juan's agreement with Franco did not accord that the restoration would be done in the person of Juan Carlos.  Up until the day that Franco named Juan Carlos as his successor with the title of King.

When news of Franco's  choice was received at Villa Giralda, don Juan's home in Estoril, Portugal, it was like thunder for him and his political cabinet.  Furthermore it led to years of very tense relations between Juan and Juan Carlos.

Queen Victoria Eugenie when meeting Franco in 1968 for the baptism of Felipe urged him to choose a successor, either Juan or Juan Carlos, but above all she wanted the monarchy restored.  The choice was announced after the Queen's death.

Doña María de las Mercedes, Juan Carlos' mother, played an important role in getting don Juan and Juan Carlos to bridge their differences - she went into detail about this in her memoirs.  This led to don Juan's renunciation in 1977, thus restoring the dynastic old line by making Juan Carlos the "official" Head of House, as well as King.

I think don Juan, as Juan III, would have made a fantastic King.  Juan Carlos himself has been extremely good and it will be heard for Felipe to follow in his father's footsteps.

Arturo Beéche

darius:
I´m sure they had some idea that one day the moment would arrive when they would be called upon to become King and Queen of Spain.

Grand Duke:

--- Quote ---I think don Juan, as Juan III, would have made a fantastic King.
--- End quote ---

Of course any king would be better than Franco or other fascist dictator - and that is a fact!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version