Author Topic: Maria and Nicholas Demenkov  (Read 108416 times)

Offline lostfan

• Boyar
  • lille prins christian
    • View Profile
Maria and Nicholas Demenkov
« on: March 17, 2005, 06:28:12 PM »
I was reading a couple paragraph biography about Anastasia and these sentences were included:

Mashka fell in love for her first time with a security guard. His name was Nicholas Dmitrievitch Demekov. Anastasia even caught him and Mashka kissing! That caused a very long argument between Mashka and her mother.

Did this ever happen? I know Maria did have a crush on this particular young man; she'd even sign her letters 'Mrs. Kolya Demenkov.' However, is there any information on the validity of this story, and did Alix really have a long argument with Mashka about it? What happened, after the Revolution, to Kolya Demenkov?
Men are haunted by the vastness of eternity. And so we ask ourselves: will our actions echo across the centuries? Will strangers hear our names long after we're gone and wonder who we were? How bravely we fought? How fiercely we loved?

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Maria and Nicholas Demenkov
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 06:30:24 PM »
Sure doesn't seem likely.  I doubt Maria would argue with Alexandra about anything.  Where did you find that story?  Looks like the sort of stuff you see on teenage-created websites about the Romanovs...focused on Anastasia and stuff, spreading misinformation.

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 06:36:44 PM »
I agree with Lanie. Even if Marie was a romantic, I doubt she'd do something so bold. I also think that she wouldn't argue with anyone about anything, especially Alexandra. I can't picture it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Ortino »

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
  • July 18th 2005: 87 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 06:55:44 PM »
Hmm yeah I don;t remember hearing about this either.

Maria_Romanov_fan

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 07:55:49 PM »
Seems more like a fantasy to spark intrest than an information piece.
I'm not sure either.  :P

Maria_Romanov_fan

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 07:56:24 PM »
Even if Marie was a romantic, I doubt she'd do something so bold. I also think that she wouldn't argue with anyone about anything, especially Alexandra. I can't picture it.

She was an absolute ANGEL!!!!!  ;D

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 07:34:58 AM »
I also doubt this incident ever happened. Firstly, even if Maria was a flirt and naive, I seriously doubt she would have been so indiscreet and bold as to have let herself been caught kissing this man. She still knew her limits. I think, like all her sisters, the girls were really quite shy, modest, and innocent in their dealings with men. They probably had schoolgirl-type crushes on them but tried to keep their emotions in check around them, and some of these young men perhaps didn't even know they were the object of their affections. They preferred to confess their crushes amongst each other or to their diaries.

Secondly, I also agree she wouldn't have argued with her mother about it. Her parents knew about her crushes and thought them merely amusing, and even teased her about them, knowning they were of course nothing serious. So I don't think Alexandra would have made a big deal about it. I have read that when Maria was eleven, her mother found out about a crush she had on a soldier. The only thing she wrote to her daughter about it was: "Try not to let your thoughts dwell too much on him, that's what our Friend said...I know he likes you as a little sister, and would like to help you not to care too much, because he knows you, a little Grand Duchess, must not care for him so...Be brave and cheer up and don't let your thoughts dwell so much upon him." That's a pretty mild and gentle scolding.

Offline Sarastasia

• Graf
  • "This is their life... Live it with them."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 10:30:52 AM »
No, I've definatly read that Maria courted a soldier during her time at Alexander Palace. She could even see him go past the palace from her mother's balcony.
On the point of her being an "angel", do you guys think that she NEVER did anything wrong or not what was expected of her? She grew up with Anastasia!!
I think that this did happen, probably no further than a kiss, in which Anastasia discovered them. This would have put Maria off to kiss Nicholas again.
As for the argument with Alexandra, I doubt this, as where I found out about this relationship first: I discovered that her parents and siblings teased her about it!!!!
I think if anyone "argued" with her about Nicholas, it would have been Anastasia having a go at Maria!
I've even heard of a relationship with a guard at Ekaterinburg!

Sarastasia

P.S: Thanks for the name!!! You've no idea how much that name helps!!! ;D

Offline Sarastasia

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 11:34:33 AM »
She was an absolute ANGEL!!!!!  ;D

She was an angel in her father's eyes.

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Art in Avatar done by Lisa!
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 12:53:32 PM »
As much of a well mannered individual Maria was, I cannot see her kissing a solider, no matter what she felt for him. The girls were brought up with naive thoughts.
Even if she did like this guy, kissing him would have been very inappropriate of her.

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 07:25:34 PM »
Was it on a website based almost entirely on Anastasia's Royal Diary? I've come across that site. Makes me laugh.

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005, 11:41:06 AM »
There are excerpts from the Anastasia Royal Diaries book that goes along with this storyline somewhat. The person who wrote that bit about Marie kissing a soldier probably got the information from this book and believed it to be true, like so many others.  ::) >:(

Offline matushka

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005, 03:06:58 PM »
This story is just incredible for a third reason - the 2 Sarai gave and this one: it is just impossible that a soldier well know of the Imperial Family forgot that he is just a soldier and Maria is the daughter of the Tsar. For the mentality of that time, it is really impossible. Laughing, relating a lot of funny stories, yes, more not.

Offline Sarastasia

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2005, 03:17:54 AM »
They didn't just forget who they were, how could they?
Even if they were brought up with niave thoughts, wouldn't they start to discover the real world from outside sources, such as guardsd and soliders working around the palace?
I didn't read it from Anastasia's royal diarys, I've read it from numerous sources, not using the diarys as their source.
I think it's more than plausable for Maria to have a relationship, physical or not. She was always the one boasting that she wanted to marry a Russian soldier and have 20 children!
Nikolai and Alexandra teased her about her relationship, and did nothing to discourage it. But then they were so into love and stuff that I can't imagine them doing otherwise.

Sarastasia

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2005, 09:31:14 AM »
There are no actual accounts on this story besides misinformational sites like the one above. And if you have heard it on numerous other sites, could you please post them?
Yes, Marie wasn't a complete angel, but she knew her  limits. Do you honestly think she would want her beloved Papa to know she was kissing one of his soldiers. No matter how much she would have wanted to, she wouldn't go that far.
Furthermore, do you think one of the Tsar's soldiers would even dare to kiss one of the Tsar's young daughters?!? Think about this for awhile.
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.