Author Topic: Baroness Sophie Buxhoeveden (1883-1956)  (Read 68250 times)

Offline lancashireladandre

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Baroness Sophie Buxhoeveden (1883-1956)
« Reply #120 on: December 30, 2005, 08:36:05 AM »

The Baroness began with the Milford Havens some time in the 1920s.  Later, I believe during WWII she also had a cottage near Coppins and was a good friend of Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent.

During WW2,The kents lent a cottage on the Coppins demense to Prince & Princess Powlkelski-Koziell (spelling wrong).The Princesses mother baroness Agnes de Stockel lived with them.In her memoirs published in 1950 she spoke with great warmth of the late Duke and Princess Marina.The late Baron had been in charge of the household of Marie of Greece,Grand Duchess George of Russia(Marina's aunt).Are you sure you are not getting these 2 Baronesses mixed up?

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 30, 2005, 08:42:36 AM »

That's interesting, thanks! What became of Gibbes, and did they never have a relationship?

Gibbs ended up as an orthodox priest in Oxford.I think he called himself "Father Nicholas".He had an adopted son and together they safeguarded all the relics of the Imperial family he had so carefully guardrd on the long trek out of Siberia & during his long years in China.These included the light fitting from the Grand Duchesses bedroom in the Ipatiev House and their school books.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #122 on: December 30, 2005, 09:37:18 AM »
When was he in China? After the Siberian trek, didn't he travel from Japan to Europe via the US like Sophie?

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 30, 2005, 03:45:18 PM »
When was he in China? After the Siberian trek, didn't he travel from Japan to Europe via the US like Sophie?

Gibbes worked in Manchuria (as a customs offical) till about 1934/5 when he was ordained as Father Nicholas.After a year in Jerusalem he came to London & during WW2 settled in Oxford. He died in hospital in London on 24th March 1963 age 86. There is a book about Gibbes "Tutor to the Tsarevich" by J C Trewin, published by Macmillan in England. (ISBN333171020).It is full of pictures of the tutors mementoes etc.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #124 on: December 31, 2005, 12:24:01 PM »
So did he stay on in China when the others left, or did he return at a later date?

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 31, 2005, 01:51:27 PM »
So did he stay on in China when the others left, or did he return at a later date?

He seems to have stayed on with at least one home leave.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #126 on: December 31, 2005, 02:04:33 PM »
I know he took a lot of pictures on their journey, I thought he was with them when they crossed the US by train?

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 01, 2006, 02:53:20 AM »
Gibbes worked in Manchuria (as a customs offical) till about 1934/5 when he was ordained as Father Nicholas.After a year in Jerusalem he came to London & during WW2 settled in Oxford. He died in hospital in London on 24th March 1963 age 86. There is a book about Gibbes "Tutor to the Tsarevich" by J C Trewin, published by Macmillan in England. (ISBN333171020).It is full of pictures of the tutors mementoes etc.

The book is worth reading, though only short.You should be able to order a copy through your library.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #128 on: January 01, 2006, 08:16:23 AM »
As much as I'd love to collect all these books, I am not in the position to go ordering things all the time. Maybe someday.

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 01, 2006, 09:34:13 AM »
The book is worth reading, though only short.You should be able to order a copy through your library.

I meant YOU can ask the library,who  will order you a copy to BORROW... :)

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #130 on: January 01, 2006, 05:13:33 PM »
My library has a pathetically sad selection of books, they have the same Romanov related books they had when I was in the seventh grade, and that was now over 30 years ago. Our area libraries never have anything rare like that. :-/

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 02, 2006, 07:22:47 AM »
My library has a pathetically sad selection of books, they have the same Romanov related books they had when I was in the seventh grade, and that was now over 30 years ago. Our area libraries never have anything rare like that. :-/

Here in the UK we are very lucky. For 60pence you can fill in a request card and the whole country is searched for the book. If it is really old it comes from a central storage in Yorkshire and sometimes has to be read on the  premises (ie your local library). Even University libraries are part of the network.Inquire if there is not something of that kind,operating in Canada. ;)

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #132 on: January 02, 2006, 01:34:48 PM »
Here in the UK we are very lucky. For 60pence you can fill in a request card and the whole country is searched for the book. If it is really old it comes from a central storage in Yorkshire and sometimes has to be read on the  premises (ie your local library). Even University libraries are part of the network.Inquire if there is not something of that kind,operating in Canada. ;)

Here in the US it's not so good. Each individual city or county has their own library system, and they can only search or loan out books from their own system. Many small localities have very limited collections. Many cities won't even help you if you are not a resident or pay a fee of about $50!

The US Government has just about everything in the Library of Congress, and I even drove up there one time, but found that not only are no books to leave the place, since 9-11 you have to have some kind of special invite to even be allowed in!

Universities here only help their students and staff, no ordinary people off the street. My son's college is not very big and doesn't have much older stuff on the Romanovs.

So here, the best bet is Ebay, if anything comes up for bidding and you win out. I'm not much into buying that way.

I do try rummage sales and used book stores, hoping to find a gem hiding, but no luck so far.

BTW, my ancestors are from Lancashire, a place called Suma Cum Hardy or something like that, ever heard of it? If you have any info for me on it you can PM me before we take this thread OT!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Annie »

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 02, 2006, 09:29:59 PM »
Here in the US it's not so good. Each individual city or county has their own library system, and they can only search or loan out books from their own system. Many small localities have very limited collections. Many cities won't even help you if you are not a resident or pay a fee of about $50!

This could well be true in some places, but it's certainly not the case throughout the US! I live in a small town in Michigan, and I can order anything in the county myself. We also have a state-wide system anyone with a valid library card can access. For more obscure items, I ask the librarians, and they're happy to interloan from anyplace in the country. All this is free, and many of my books have come from university libraries. In most cases, the $50 fee for non-residents is far less than residents pay in their yearly taxes to support their home library.

The biggest trouble with libraries, IMO, is that they're notoriously lax about letting the public know these sevices are available.

I'll get off my soapbox, now...
;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by sarahelizabethii »
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #134 on: January 02, 2006, 10:09:23 PM »
I have never seen a llibrary that would or could go outside its own system for searching and loaning. If you can get them from 'all over the country' who pays the expenses? Seems like it would add up, and it would be very hard to keep track of one library's books when they are flying all over the place.