Author Topic: Braganza royal family & Brazilian royalty  (Read 115390 times)

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Braganza royal family & Brazilian royalty
« on: March 19, 2005, 10:18:26 AM »
What was the story about the empire of Brazil? I know that the Royal family moved to Brazil because of the Napoleonic wars. But how did that go about? Did the Brazilian population like them, and who did they work with in the country?
I find it a bit complicated with some of the family going back to Portugal, due to the civil wars of Portugal with Maria II da Gloria and such. (Much like the Isabella story).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by kmerov »

Offline ipflo

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Braganza royal family & Brazilian royalty
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 12:33:06 PM »
hi,

you can find some info about the Brazilian empire on the following page:

http://books.guardian.co.uk/reviews/history/0,6121,1333371,00.html

Also there is a website on the summer palace of the brazilian emperors:

http://www.museuimperial.gov.br/

« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 09:39:43 PM by trentk80 »

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 08:26:33 PM »
When Napoleon invaded the Iberian Peninsula, the Portuguese royal family, aided by Britain, migrated to Brazil, which was the crown jewel of the Portuguese colonial empire.

The Braganças remained in Brazil until 1822 when most of the family returned to Portugal.  That same year, and in agreement with his father King Joao VI, Crown prince Pedro declared brazil's independence from Portugal and had himself proclaimed Emperor of Brazil.  When Joao VI died, Pedro I of Brazil renounced the imperial throne on his only son, Pedro II, and sailed to Lisbon to occupy his father's throne.  Then Pedro abdicated his Portuguese throne in favor of his eldest daughter Maria, whose second husband was Prince Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.

The Brazilian Imperial Family are the descendants of Emperor Pedro II of Brazil.

The descendants of Maria II ruled Portugal until 1910 when her great-grandson Manuel II was exiled.  This line became extinct in 1932 when Manuel II died suddenly, leaving no children from his marriage to Princess Augusta Viktoria of Hohenzollern.

Today's Portuguese royals are the descendants of Infante dom Miguel, the younger son of King Joao VI and borhter of Pedro I.  Dom Miguel claimed the Portuguese throne for himself in 1828, but was exiled by his brother after six years of war in 1834.  Miguel had been expected to become the husband of baby Queen Maria II, but that never happened.  His descendants were raised in austria and were not able to return to Portugal until the 1930's.  The present Head of the Portuguese Royal Family, Infante dom Duarte, Duke of Bragança, an extremely nice and welcoming gentleman, is a great-grandson of dom Miguel.

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline Grand Duke

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ABSOLUTE POWER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 10:26:37 AM »
Arturo, I'm sorry but I must made some corrections:

The Braganças remained in Brazil until 1822 when most of the family returned to Portugal.  That same year, and in agreement with his father King Joao VI, Crown prince Pedro declared brazil's independence from Portugal and had himself proclaimed Emperor of Brazil.
The Braganças returned to Portugal in 1821.
Brazil's independence (1822) was a rebelious act: in fact, Portugal and King João VI recognized Brazil's independence only in 1825.

When Joao VI died, Pedro I of Brazil renounced the imperial throne on his only son, Pedro II, and sailed to Lisbon to occupy his father's throne. Then Pedro abdicated his Portuguese throne in favor of his eldest daughter Maria
When João VI died (1826), Pedro I of Brazil became also Pedro IV of Portugal.
Since nobody wanted the 2 countries united again, Pedro granted the Constitutional Chart to Portugal and abdicated the Portuguese throne in favor of his infant daughter, Maria da Glória, who became Queen Maria II.
Since she was then only 7 years old (not a baby like Arturo said), he nominated his brother Dom Miguel, an absolutist, as Regent, on the promise that he would marry her and respect the Constitution.
But in 1828, Miguel usurped the throne from young Queen Maria and became an absolutist King. This act started a civil war, known as Liberal Wars.
In 1831, Pedro abdicated the throne of Brazil in favor of his son, Dom Pedro II, who was still a minor. This decision, prompted in part by differences with the Brazilian Parliament, was also motivated by an adventurous spirit which took him back to Portugal to oust his brother Miguel and put Maria II again as Queen.
In 1834 the War ended:
- Miguel lost and went to Austria in exile;
- Maria II was restored as a constitutional Queen;
- Pedro died that same year of tuberculosis, in the same palace room where he was born, with only 36 years old.

It is very ironic to think that today's Portuguese royals are the descendants of the exiled ex-king Miguel and they would be on the throne, if Portugal was a Monarchy. LONG LIVE THE REPUBLIC!

I'm THE GRAND DUKE of LIPTON-upon-AVON ! Please to meet you. I'm glad you know my name!

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 11:42:54 AM »
I have double checked my sources and you are correct, Joao VI returned to Portugal in 1821, not 1822.

Pedro I of Brazil abdicated his imperial crown on April 7, 1831 - Pedro II was only 5 years old (having been born at the end of 1825), and he was placed under a regency lasting until 1840, when at the age of 15 he assumed full control of his inheritance.  In 1843 he married by proxy in Naples Princess Teresa of Bourbon-Two Sicilies (1822-1889) and religiously at Rio de Janeiro on 4 September 1843.

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 05:04:15 PM »
Thanks for the info and the links..
So i gather that Pedro II didnt have any sons, since he made his daughter regent?

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 05:13:37 PM »
Two sons, both died when children.  His daughter Isabel survived until after World War I, his youngest daughter Leopoldine died in 1871 after having four sons in a short period with Prince August of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.

Arturo Beéche
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Eurohistory »
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 11:53:40 PM »
According to Paul Theroff's Online Gotha:

The headship of this family is somewhat in dispute. In 1908 Prince Pedro (1875-1940) renounced his rights to the Brazilian throne for himself and for his descendants. This renunciation, if valid, acted to make his nephew, Pr Pedro Henrique, head of the family upon the death of the Princess Imperial in 1921. Since that time members of the senior branch, descended from Prince Pedro, have disputed the validity of his renunciation. If the renunciation was valid, then the current head of this family is Dom Luíz Gastão (b.1938). If, however, it was not valid, then the head is Dom Pedro Gastão (b.1913).

All the members of the family (in male line) bear the title Prince(ss) of Orleans-Braganza with the style Royal Highness, even if they do not descend from an equal marriage. The descendants of Prince Dom Pedro Henrique bear the style Prince(ss) Imperial of Brazil, Prince(ss) of Orleans-Braganza with the style Imperial and Royal Highness, only if they descend from an equal marriage. The Imperial princes that contract non-equal marriages have to renounce those titles but keep the title of Prince(ss) of Orleans-Braganza with the style Royal Highness.

They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 12:02:58 AM »
They have many close connections to the house of Orleans:

Emperor Pedro I of Brazil (whose eldest daughter was Maria II da Glória, Queen of Portugal--her father had abdicated as King of Portugal in her favor while becoming Emperor of Brazil) 6th child Francisca Carolina Joana Carlota Leopoldina Romana Xavier de Paula Micaela Rafaela Gabriela Gonzaga  m. (in Rio) 1843 François d'Orléans Prince de Joinville

Maria da Gloria's brother Pedro II (Emperor until he was deposed 1889) daughter Isabel married  1864 Gaston Pr d'Orléans,Count d'Eu (who died at sea in 1922--anyone know about that?)

Isabel's granddaughter Isabelle (who died in 2003 and who Art knows a great deal about--she had some great jewels) m 1931 Henri d'Orléans, Comte de Paris

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 12:09:13 AM »
The Orleans (who really got around maritally considering they were deposed) weren't the only well-known house connected to the Brazilians--the Coburgs pop up (of course!) as well. This helps to link them to many other thrones.

(Kohary branch) Ferdinand m. Antonie von Kohary:  

Ferdinand August Franz Anton m Maria II of Portugal

August Ludwig Viktor m.Clémentine d'Orléans : their sons (1) Philipp m. Louise of Belgium (a cousin--her father was Leopold II) (2) August m. Leopoldina of Brazil (3) Tsar Ferdinand of Bulgaria

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 04:40:54 AM »
Does anybody have colour picture of Empress Theresa of Brazil?I have searched the web but just found one colour pic of her witch is very small...

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2005, 12:14:55 PM »
The Princess Imperial Izabel was very popular with the common folk, not so with the moneyed classes, who turned against her when she freed the slaves.  To this day her decision to put an end to slavery in Brazil remains tremendously courageous.

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com

Offline Grand Duke

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ABSOLUTE POWER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2005, 04:04:50 PM »
MARC, after spending all afternoon searching for a colour painting of Empress Tereza Cristina of Brazil, finally I found this:

Pedro II & Tereza Cristina of Brazil

Painting by François René Moreaux, ca. 1850.
I'm THE GRAND DUKE of LIPTON-upon-AVON ! Please to meet you. I'm glad you know my name!

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2005, 05:40:30 PM »
A funny story fits right in...

Pedro II wanted the Duc de Penthievre, Prince Pierre d'Orléans, to marry his eldest daughter and was quite furious when Pierre turned down the possibility of migrating to Brazil.

Instead, Prince Gaston d'Orléans, Comte d'Eu, and his first cousin, Prince August of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (Kohary branch), were chosen to marry Leopoldina and Izabel respectively.  It was the family's design that the Brazilian Empire was to become the possession of the vastly influential Coburg clan.

However, and as love would have it, when Gaston and August landed in Rio de Janeiro, Leopoldina fell in love with August and Izabel chose Gaston...the fiancé's were swapped to fulfill the whims of the two sisters...Pedro II was a loving father...and instead the Orléans were posied to inherit Brazil, while the Coburgs lost it.

In the meantime, Leopoldina and August started having children right away, their first arriving in 1866, while Izabel and Gaston tried and tried and tried and their first child, Pedro de Alcantâra, did not arrive until 1875.  If anything had happened to Izabel between 1871-1875, her eldest nephew, Peter August of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, would have inherited the Brazilian throne after his grandfather's death.

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2005, 07:35:44 PM »
Grand Duke,thanks so much!I never saw these paintings!Also,one question:Who is the rightfull heir to Brazilian throne?Pedro Gastao whose mother was Dobrzensky von Dobrzenitz Countess of Prince Louis(maybe a name mistake) who married Bavarian Princess?