Author Topic: The Royal Diary/Diaries series  (Read 14889 times)

Offline GD_Sasha

• "Ain't that you with the Moslems?" -M.I.A.
    • View Profile
    • Hate the Sin, Love the Sinner. [blog]
Re: The Royal Diary/Diaries series
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2006, 09:35:19 PM »
Ditto Ritka and Holly. I admittedly still love the books...however I am smarter now when it comes to knowing what's fact and what's fiction. They are still fun to read though. My all time favourite is Jahanara's diary. Cleopatra's and Anastasia's are a close second.  :)

Offline Taren

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • The Chick Manifesto
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2006, 12:02:16 AM »
I think I've only read one Royal Diaries book -the one about Sisi. This was a few months ago and I saw it at the library and thought why not? I'd only ever heard of her on these boards, so I have no idea how accurate it was. Basically the whole thing was her just sort of talking about her perfect life, beauty, and how she was so excited about becoming engaged to an emperor. About 100 pages of "la de da, life is grand" and then the postscript at the end talks about how basically the rest of her life sucked eggs. The page (couple of pages?) of the postscript was the most interesting thing about the book. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who already knows a great deal, but for someone who has no prior knowledge of the subject they're reading about, it's a good way to get them hooked into further reading....hopefully accurate in nature.

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2006, 06:40:42 PM »
I thought the Sisi one was okay. Toward the end, when she goes on about being afraid to marry the emperor and excited to marry the man, it seemed like the author was pushing it a little. I mean, she was my age. I find it hard to imagine being able to articulate that. But it did inspire me to read more about her.

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2009, 02:34:34 AM »
The series really isn't very good, with the exception of a few books. I like Anastasia(of course), Mary Queen of Scots, and Elizabeth. The rest are all the same...

Formula for writing a Royal Diary book:
1) Make the main character a tomboy, even if they weren't in real life.
2) Have them be about 11 years old, but write in a style someone in their 20s would use.
3) Start nowhere, and end nowhere. A few didn't. Anastasia's starts a few months before the war, and ends before she leaves for Ekaterinburg. Elizabeth's didn't start anywhere important, but ended after her father died. Although I enjoyed Mary's, hers did the same. The rest begin in some random place, continue without a plot, and end randomly.
4) This goes along with number 2. Have the kids do things they'd never think of doing in real life, simply because they're too young. I realize depending on the time period, children were raised differently, and may have been seen as an adult earlier than we would, but some of them are laughable. Like Mary sneaking out in a maid's uniform at age 11 or 12 to see Nostradamus about a prophecy he made.

Yes, they are written for young people, but I noticed this stuff at age 14, when I began reading them.

Offline Grand Duchess Jennifer

• Graf
  • "Give my love to all who remember me"-Olga,1918
    • View Profile
    • The Last Grand-Duchesses of Russia-OTMA
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2009, 05:18:47 PM »

1) Make the main character a tomboy, even if they weren't in real life.

Anastasia was. :)  But Marie Antoinette was NOT.

Please visit www.freewebs.com/grand-duchessesofrussiaotma/
Banner and Icon by Ally

Offline Maria-Nikolaevna

• View Profile
    • deviantart
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2011, 03:58:58 PM »
This is the first book i have ever read about the romanovs and i wanted to Finish it (so i didnt take alot in) and when i got to the end i started to become very sad (i was about 8 but even then i didnt really get sad that  often) then i re-read it again and a gain. I owe my Love to that book and mystery hunters (which was a show where they track ghost mysterys ect.. sand they did one about anna anderson ect. ect.. and thats what made me buy the book ( allso thats why i never beveled she lived) so i owe alot to that book)
Woken in the middle of the night told to get dressed what a sight theres an outbreak in the street they are told walking down the steps brave and bold in the cellar 20 minutes it took to kill a family in a little nook that night their dreams were shattered with their clothes bloody and tattered

Offline GrandDuchessIsabelle

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2011, 05:50:49 AM »
In England, these books are called 'My Royal Story', a special spin off from the 'My Story' books, about children living in the past. For my holidays in '09 I brought the Elizabeth, Mary QOS and Anastasia books to read, and although they were rather short, I was entertained by them. The Anastasia book really captured by attention, as I remembered the cartoon from my early childhood, and I began to do some research on the Romanovs in general which eventually lead me here.
Like Holly, I own a lot to the book, but now I know what I know it does annoy me slightly with its inaccuracies. Also, it was the Victoria book which inspired me to write one for her daughter, Princess Beatrice, which has now evolved into a book in it's own right, so I do have a soft spot for those books, even to non royal ones.

(I love the cover art as well, Anastasia's in particular, which I can now see was based on her dress from the declaration of war ceremony:
http://images.scholastic.co.uk/assets/a/74/1b/128808-ml-313035.jpg)
'Olga is hitting Maria, and Maria is shouting like an idiot. A dragoon and a big idiot.'
Anastasia Nikolaevna 28/10/1914

http://primisafeandsound.tumblr.com/

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2012, 06:12:36 AM »
I always thought the American version looked pretty accurate as well:

The dress looks like the 1914 dresses, and the face actually resembles the real Anastasia.

Offline GrandDuchessIsabelle

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2012, 08:00:12 AM »
I always thought the American version looked pretty accurate as well:

The dress looks like the 1914 dresses, and the face actually resembles the real Anastasia.

I do like the American picture too. I like that it shows her face and that the hair is accurate. The girl on the British book cover has hair like mine, which is not like Anastasia's at all!
'Olga is hitting Maria, and Maria is shouting like an idiot. A dragoon and a big idiot.'
Anastasia Nikolaevna 28/10/1914

http://primisafeandsound.tumblr.com/