Author Topic: Olga Anecdotes  (Read 82771 times)

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
Olga Anecdotes
« on: March 20, 2005, 10:26:10 AM »
I know some of you probably dont want to hear any more of these...but I think we should have a section like this for all of the girls.
So...if you have any good anecdotes of Olga, please post them.
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.

Offline Czarevna Colleen

• Lady Lorna Dugal
    • View Profile
Re: Olga Anecdotes
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 01:10:08 PM »
One of my favorite Olga Anecdotes involves the books that were laid out for her mother in the mauve boudoir and Olga would borrow them before her mother had even had a chance to read them.  When Alix caught her, Olga would say, with a smile, "You must wait, Mama, until I find out whether this book is a proper one for you to read!"  I think that's really cute and sweet.  :D ;D :-* 8)

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
  • July 18th 2005: 87 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 01:52:26 PM »
I like the story about Olga reading one of Pierre Gilliard's assigned books and coming across a bad French (I think it was French) word or phrase that Gilliard forgot was in there and didn't cross out...then Olga repeated it and Nicholas teased Gilliard about' teaching his daughter new words!'

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 01:52:52 PM »
There are lots of cute OTMA anecdotes in M. Eagar's book Six Years at the Russian Court. Here are some related to Olga:

"One day during Eastertide we were out driving on the Nevski Prospect, and the little Grand Duchess Olga was not good. I was speaking to her, trying to induce her to sit down quietly, when suddenly she did so, folding her hands in front of her. In a few seconds she said to me, 'Did you see that Policeman?' I told her that was nothing extraordinary, and that the police would not touch her. She replied, 'but this one was writing something; I was afraid he might have been writing 'I saw Olga, and she was very naughty.' "

"While we were in Moscow the Empress thought she would like to have the children's portraits painted, so an artist was engaged to paint them. They were at this time four years, two and a half years, and two months.[...] I begged him to remember what babies they were, and to work from photographs. But, no! even to paint their frocks he insisted upon them sitting to him for three or four hours each day. Of course the poor children got very impatient, and one day the little Grand Duchess Olga lost her temper, and said to the artist, 'You are a very ugly man, and I don't like you a bit.' "

"I was reading 'Alice in Wonderland' and 'Through the Looking Glass' to them lately, and she was horrified at the manners of the queens. 'No queens,' she said, 'would be so rude.' "

"She read about the English cutting off the Welsh Prince Llewellyn's head, and sending it to London. She was awfully shocked, and read the story again. Then she exclaimed, 'Well, it was a good thing he was dead before they cut off his head; it would have hurt him most awfully if he was alive.' I said that they were not always so kind, and sometimes cut the heads off living people, and later she would read of them doing such things. She said, 'Well, I really think people are much better now than they used to be. I'm very glad I live now when people are so kind.' "

"On Christmas morning when Olga awoke, she exclaimed at once, 'Did God send for cousin Ella's body in the night?' I felt startled at such a question on Christmas morning, but answered, 'Oh no, dear, not yet.' She was greatly disappointed, and said, 'I thought He would have sent for her to keep Christmas with Him.' "

"Shortly after I first went to Russia the little Grand Duchess Olga was very naughty. I said to her, 'I am afraid you got out of bed with the wrong foot foremost this morning.' She looked a little puzzled, but said nothing. Next morning, before getting out of bed, she called me and asked which was her right foot. I showed her, and she most carefully descended on it. 'Now,' said she, 'that bad left foot won't be able to make me naughty to-day; I got out on the right.' "
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Sarai_Porretta »

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
  • July 18th 2005: 87 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 07:11:17 PM »
She said, 'Well, I really think people are much better now than they used to be. I'm very glad I live now when people are so kind.' "

Oh, this is so ironically tragic!! :'(

Thanks for posting those lovely stories Sarai!!

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 07:38:20 PM »
Gleb Botkin on Olga: "She was an avid reader and a poetess of considerable talent.   In spite of the great difference in age Grand Duchess Olga was particularly friendly with my father with whom she felt free to discuss anything that interested or worried her.  She said always that my father was 'a deep well of profound ideas,' and even addressed him in all her letters as 'Dear Well.' [...] Olga and I were working seriously on poetry, and the Grand Duchess became interested in my verses.  Her interest naturally added more zeal to my endeavors and from then forward I submitted every new piece of verse I wrote to Olga which she analyzed very carefully, often giving me valuable advise, and exchanging opinions about rhymes, rhythms, and other problems which are supposed to preoccupy the poets.  Thus it was that I came to know and appreciate fully the fine sensitive character of Grand Duchess Olga."

Offline Czarevna Colleen

• Lady Lorna Dugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 08:29:13 PM »
I'd never heard these other stories before!!!  Thanks for posting them, everyone!!!!!!  :) :'( :D

julia.montague

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 03:15:10 PM »
I like the story about Olga reading one of Pierre Gilliard's assigned books and coming across a bad French (I think it was French) word or phrase that Gilliard forgot was in there and didn't cross out...then Olga repeated it and Nicholas teased Gilliard about' teaching his daughter new words!'

I read that somewhere too.
It was the word "Merde" which means "Shit"
Olga didn't know what it means. In the afternoon she was on a walk with Nicholas and asked him about it.
The next day Nicholas asked Gilliard why he teaches his daughter that kind of words

Offline James_Davidov

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 06:05:00 PM »

I read that somewhere too.
It was the word "Merde" which means "sh**"
Olga didn't know what it means. In the afternoon she was on a walk with Nicholas and asked him about it.
The next day Nicholas asked Gilliard why he teaches his daughter that kind of words

I believe Nicholas saw the humour in that the book was Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo

James
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by James_Davidov »
You are a member of the British royal family. We are never tired, and we all love hospitals.
Queen Mary

Offline Dasha

• Knyaz
  • Love of a child is the greatest gift.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 07:05:36 PM »

I believe Nicholas saw the humour in that the book was Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo, set during the French Revolution during which King Loui & Marie Antionette were executed.

James

I hope you don't think me too impertinent for correcting you in regards to the work "Les Miserables" by Victor Hugo.

It's set during the uprisings of the early 1830s and not during the French Revolution of 1789.

I apologize for correcting you.  I hope you don't think me rude.
~Dasha~

'I'm meant to fly,
Sail unrestrained'.

"Woman" from "The Pirate Queen"

Teacher-in-Training
Blockhead for Life (Stephanie J Block is simply excellence)
Lover of (Almost) All Things Jane Austen
Broadway Addict
Anglophile
History Buff

Offline James_Davidov

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 08:51:57 PM »

phhh, im not hypersensative, thanks for correcting me..
You are a member of the British royal family. We are never tired, and we all love hospitals.
Queen Mary

Princess_Olishka

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2006, 05:21:34 AM »
Thanks for all those Olga anecdotes, everybody!!! You might see that I've listed them on my site - so thanks for all your help!

marina

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 07:07:28 PM »
When Olga was a nurse , she frequently spoke with soldiers without revealing her identity when she could...
I translate one of these discussions:
Soldier: "Are you tired?"
Olga: "Yeah, a little bit but it's good to be tired!"
-Why it is good?
-It means I worked.
-You have only to sit down here. Would you like to go to the front?
-Yes it's my dream: being there.
-So what? Go ahead!
-I would like but my father won't let me leave. He says my health is too fragile.
-You don't care a damn about your father! Go ahead!
Grand duchess began to laugh.
-It's impossible. I couldn't care less about my father. We both like very much!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by marina »

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006, 10:31:54 PM »
Where did you come across that particular conversation?

marina