Author Topic: Olga Anecdotes  (Read 107158 times)

Offline Olga Bernice

• Graf
  • <-*Photo Courtesy: GD Ally*
    • View Profile
    • Colors Of The Rose
Re: Olga Anecdotes
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2011, 04:30:13 PM »
So, is M. Eagar's book suggested material for me to read? It sounds like it's pretty good!
Mashka . . . Olya . . . Tatya . . . Nastya

Many thanks to Laura Mabee for the banner!!

"We played on the swing, that was when I roared with laughter, the fall was so wonderful! Indeed!"
ANR, May 7, 1918

Offline Janet Ashton

• Knyaz
  • www.directarticle.org
    • View Profile
    • Direct Article
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2011, 04:34:55 PM »
I have a copy of Eagar's article from Girl's Own Paper and Women's Magazine in 1909 ("Further Glimpses of the Tsaritsa's Little Girls") and also a chapter I believe she wrote on Alexandra from Royal Romances of Today. Does the new Gilbert edition of Six Years at the Russian Court include these and/or others?
Further glimpses is there as well as an article called"  More about the Little Grand Duchesses of Russia " . I don't believe it has the article about  Alexandra ....

The "Royal Romances of Today" book is ostensibly by Kellogg Durland. Charlotte Zeepvat believes that Eagar had a lot of influence on his opinions, and may have been interviewed by him, or talked to him generally, but I don't think she has ever claimed that M.E. actually wrote the article, so i assume that is why it isn't included in this new compilation.
Could be wrong about that, of course!

I do recommend "From Cradle to Crown", Charlotte Zeepvat's most recent book. This is very well researched, has a LOT about the people who looked after royal kids, and about the kids themselves. And I say this as someone who didn't really like Charlotte's "Romanov autumn" - so I am far from being an uncritical audience. Cradle to Crown is very realistic; the other one - well - isn't.....IMHO of course.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 04:53:39 PM by Janet Ashton »
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many; they are few.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2011, 06:35:37 PM »
So, is M. Eagar's book suggested material for me to read? It sounds like it's pretty good!

You can read the book itself for free, here.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Sunny

• Knyaz
  • Царь Николай, твоё имя - любовь
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2012, 06:35:09 AM »
Thanks to BlessOTMA i found it is possible to write online the memories of Sofia Tjutcheva, governess of the imperial children (In russian) here: http://lib.rus.ec/b/327889/read
I read&translated just some bits of it, but this sound particulary interesting. My translation is not the best at all, and my English neither, but hope you'll enbjoy it anyaway.

"I want to write yet anectode, perfectly describing my favorite pupil, Olga. It was on the solemn days of the church liturgy held in the Great Catherine Palace in Tsarskoye Selo. The children stood with me in the gallery. The day of the Emperor's birthday, May 6, I arrived at the palace with the girls . the Emperor was not there yet , and before his arrival the service couldn't start. Downstairs in the church were gathered dignitaries, generals and courtiers.
Looking at Olga, I noticed that she was frowing and expresseing signs of displeasure.
"What's wrong with you, Olga? "- I asked.
"I am shocked that all these gentlemen talk so loudly in church, except Pyotr Stolypin; is that really a priest? "- she said.
I had a look." He's Father Bishop Arseny of Novgorod, "- said I.
"So why did he not stop them?"
"He does not consider himself a master of this church, since he is the rector Archpriest of the Annunciation Church," - I said.
Olga was not satisfied: "Is the priest at the altar of the Annunciation old and deaf? This is not because of this, Savannah, he's just afraid. And when Dad comes, all at once they make silence. But who is higher? God or Papa? Indeed, Metropolitan Philip was not afraid to speak the truth itself Ivan the Terrible. "

One can't deny ON was such a witty and clever girlsince childhood... and wise, i'd add.
Please visit my site
http://thelostworldofnaotmaa.wordpress.com/

Banner courtesy of GD Ally

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2012, 12:04:52 PM »
Thanks for the translation Sunny ! " But who is higher? God or Papa? " I just love that. Reminds me of what  Gilliard wrote about Olga's comments, spoken " ...with that disingenuous frankness all her own " . I don't think that unique element of Olga's thinking and speaking has been better described.

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
  • an angel .....and the best of them
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2012, 01:09:02 PM »
Mille Grazie,Sunny, per la Sua brava traduzione! (Nice translation, Sunny)

I looked at the site you took this anecdote from, but I couldn't find the date. I wanted to know because I wondered how old Olga
was when she was thinking and speaking like this. Do you have the date for this event?

Rodney
Rodney G.

Offline Jen_94

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • GrandRoyalPalace
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2012, 04:29:55 PM »
Thanks for the translation, Sunny! She sounds so clever and witty indeed! I would too like to know a date for this event too.

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2012, 07:57:46 PM »
It would be good to known when it happened and that might be in the book. From the current text we know it's before Sofia Tjutcheva left her position and also before Stolypin assassination .It's interesting that Olga makes note of Stolypin's reverential behaviour in the church while everyone is waiting for the Tsar. It's puts another light on his gesture of making the sign of the cross and blessing the Tsar at his assassination later . We now know it was characteristic of the man. It was a  gesture Olga was witness to of course....and indeed she is reported to have done the same at her own assassination.

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Sunny

• Knyaz
  • Царь Николай, твоё имя - любовь
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2012, 07:57:54 AM »
Mille Grazie,Sunny, per la Sua brava traduzione! (Nice translation, Sunny)
Rodney

Prego, di nulla! (You're welcome!)

I looked at the site you took this anecdote from, but I couldn't find the date. I wanted to know because I wondered how old Olga
was when she was thinking and speaking like this. Do you have the date for this event?

Thanks for the translation, Sunny! She sounds so clever and witty indeed! I would too like to know a date for this event too.

I had a look too but couldn't find, i suspect it is in the middle of other anecdotes, so i'll have to read the whole text better; i'll do it as soon as i can to see whether i can find the date. I am very interested in this, too!

It would be good to known when it happened and that might be in the book. From the current text we know it's before Sofia Tjutcheva left her position and also before Stolypin assassination .It's interesting that Olga makes note of Stolypin's reverential behaviour in the church while everyone is waiting for the Tsar. It's puts another light on his gesture of making the sign of the cross and blessing the Tsar at his assassination later . We now know it was characteristic of the man. It was a  gesture Olga was witness to of course....and indeed she is reported to have done the same at her own assassination.

So it is of course before September 1911, so Olga should be not older than 15.
I have to admit i can't remember the exact year when Tjutcheva left her position, though.
I had made up the idea that Stolypin was a man of great Faith, who understood that Nicholas was justr a human being and needed to be entrust to God, and this epsode confirms my (very personal) thought.

Reminds me of what  Gilliard wrote about Olga's comments, spoken " ...with that disingenuous frankness all her own " . I don't think that unique element of Olga's thinking and speaking has been better described.

You're perfectly right, and i can't thank you enough to make me find this wonderful text so i could translate the episode. This passage is so evocative, and it explains really well Olga's frankness; it also helps us better understand her; i mean, it was something great for me, i suddenly realized better than ever what she was like, i saw her in adifferent light, and loved her more than ever for this. She was a girl of great wit indeed. That kind of person who always look "beyond" in every situation, who makes up questions in her mind. I think this is also the cause not only for her Faith (people who asks big questions generally try to find answers above, in a way or another), but also for her "depression" during exile - she was the one who could form deep questions in her hearth, and understand better than anyone else how dangerous their situation was.
I can say, because of my experience, that making questions is not always interesting - going on asking and trying to understand, you can scratch the surface and find the evil things around you... or at least, it was so for me. But it can helps us understand her mood during exile.
Well, sorry for this kind of pshycological analysis, LOL

Please visit my site
http://thelostworldofnaotmaa.wordpress.com/

Banner courtesy of GD Ally

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #114 on: April 17, 2012, 10:35:49 AM »
Well, sorry for this kind of psychological analysis, LOL
oh you know it's meat and drink to me ( that is ,I enjoy it  lol  ).Olga makes her statement in the form of a  question, but she knows the answer.  In a way she wants the listener, in this case Sofia Tjutcheva, to ask themselves the question.  Even the way Olga  posed it..." But who is higher? God or Papa? " She gives the answer....by placing God first. And it's  interesting to note Tjutcheva says this  anecdote, " perfectly describes.... Olga" ...so it's pretty significant .

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Kassafrass

• Boyar
  • Give my love to all who remember me.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #115 on: May 08, 2012, 10:24:15 AM »
So glad to find a section like this. Olishka is my favorite and it's nice to see things that she actually said. Perfect for signatures and such :)
"Austria declared war on us. Bastards." - Olga Nikolaevna
deviantArt: http://poison-ivy-alice.deviantart.com

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2012, 08:48:48 PM »

From Meriel  Buchanan's  book : Recollections of Imperial Russia
On the occasion of the Romanoff Tercentenary there was also a ball given in the Assembly Hall of the nobles which the Emperor and Empress opened in a formal polonaise and where Grand Duchess Olga fair and graceful in a soft white dress , danced every dance and enjoyed her self as simply and whole-heartly as any girl at her first ball.

I have a vivid recollection of her, standing on the top of the steps leading down from the gallery to the floor of the ball room , her hair shining golden against the crimson velvet curtains, her cheeks softly flushed, her blue eyes very bright , while one or two of her cousins and several young officers all clamoured for her attention

few can put you there like Meriel Buchannan. Of course we know a ball in 1913 was not Olga's first. However such events were rare enough that I can see her enjoying it as if it was.

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline edubs31

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2012, 11:06:50 PM »
Simply majestic :-) Isnt there a new article on the AP homepage about Olga's 16th birthday ball?
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #118 on: August 03, 2012, 02:06:38 AM »
Simply majestic :-) Isnt there a new article on the AP homepage about Olga's 16th birthday ball?
Yes I just read that. It seems TMA and Alexis were there as well. I thought that was new!

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline edubs31

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 03, 2012, 08:29:02 AM »
Yes I just read that. It seems TMA and Alexis were there as well. I thought that was new!

Well actually Anne it was 101 years ago when Olga turned 16. It's only its presence on the AP that's new :-)

Smack me, you're entitled!
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...